`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Memorable Moments in Collecting

RE: Memorable Moments in Collecting
Smile I've had a few but probably the oldest and kinda funny memory I have was when I was 9. I walked to Aardvark Sportscards in GT, CA and bought 2 packs of 93' SP Baseball and pulled a Derek Jeter RC! Which is now "THE ROOKIE" Smile I was walking around Bank of America on my way back home, cards in hand, thinking to myself, "who the hell is Derek Jetter?"- and I threw it outSmile

I have two stories, but they happened at the same time. In 1992, I worked for JCPenney at the Battlefield Mall In Springfield, MO. My favorite shop had moved from a strip mall to THE Mall, so I would go out at lunch and chat with them, bust a few packs, and whatever... One time, I went in and they were playing Pack Wars with new basketball cards. I decided to join in, although I was more of a football guy. (I'm EXCLUSIVELY a football guy now!) Anyway, one round I pulled a Stadium Club Shaq RC, and another round I pulled Topps Gold Shaq RC parallel. Easily, the best two cards I had pulled up to that time. I forgot what other cards I won with those pulls, but looking back, I don't really care what they were. LOL!!!
[Image: sds_zpsc4ba5032.jpg]

You are already missed

this happened to my mother-in-law about a year ago. she bought a coffee mug in a small box at a thrift store for $2 or $3 bucks. the box said "make your own mug" you could write whatever you wanted on it. anyway she got home, opened the box and no mug! instead it was full of cards. she gave them to me to see if they were any good. here are some highlights....

5 wayne gretzky 2nd year topps
james lofton rc
john jefferson rc
art monk rc
6 walter paytons from 1981 & 1982
3 ronnie lot rc's
3 lawrence taylor rc's
and last but not least.....3 Joe Montanna rc's!!

that was the best box of cards i ever saw for $3.00

other than that i'd have to say, this is back when you could get good stuff from retail packs, 1998 ud rc jersey payton manning, 2000 ud mvp auto shawn alexander from packs at k-mart. and getting autos from 1997 ud legends from retail packs at sams club. those were the days.

Well let's see(take into consideration that I've only been collecting for two years)...
-there was the time I caved in and bought a box of 2009 UD Ultimate and pulled a sweet Matthew Stafford auto/dual jersy #d 11/20
-I caved in again and bought a tin of 2011 Timeless Treasures and pulled a Jake Locker auto/jersey #d/100...AND a Sam Bradford auto/jersey 1/1
-This isn't football but it was still a thrilling pull being a Braves fan. I just decided to get some packs of 2012 topps last week and pulled this!
[Image: 2012-02-25142708.jpg]

PS: I later had to sell the Stafford to fix the clutch on my car and I still miss it to this day

I just started collecting December 2010. I was watching the hobby box channel on YouTube for about 3 weeks a decided to buy a box. I was hooked after that. You could see why when you watch this link.

Wants Drew Brees everything
Second colliction Gabbert and all 2011 quarterbacks
[Image: ridley_brees.jpg]
http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/k559/rshcard86/
my site
http://rshcard86.weebly.com/

(02-28-2012, 10:29 PM)dfcj1499 Wrote: Smile I've had a few but probably the oldest and kinda funny memory I have was when I was 9. I walked to Aardvark Sportscards in GT, CA and bought 2 packs of 93' SP Baseball and pulled a Derek Jeter RC! Which is now "THE ROOKIE" Smile I was walking around Bank of America on my way back home, cards in hand, thinking to myself, "who the hell is Derek Jetter?"- and I threw it outSmile

Oh man, I would still be kicking myself. I have yet to pick one up.

One of my most memorable that is positive, is about youtube. I have been here on beckett for over 10 years and was really never big on any kind of blogs or message boards. I didn't care much about them. So, most of my collecting was done on my own, never really shared unless at the card shops that I went to. Then one day, I discovered youtube. At first, I was searching all kinds of stuff. I created an account with the name "Streetree" just to join the site. Then something told me to look for sports cards and stuff like that, and I couldn't beleive it. I went out and bought a camera and started filming my breaks. Now, I am so addicted to watching box breaks. Not one day goes by (unless I am on vacation) that I don't watch a box break. Now I share my breaks here on beckett and on youtube under Kollectornet.

I have others to share, more about cards and stuff, but I wanted to share that. It greatly increased my love of collecting.
http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee167/kollectornet/

Mainly collect Harry Douglas, Baltimore sports teams and Atlanta sports teams.

[Image: harry.jpg]

Bought a 69 Mantle on the bay back in 2007 for about 160 bucks. It looked amazing! Couldn't believe I won it for that cheap. The seller was reputable and guaranteed its authenticity and that it wasn't altered etc...so I went through with the purchase.

Moved to Alaska and met a collector. He talked me into trading it to him and somehow convinced me it was slightly larger than the other 69's he had (which it was) but barely. That had me concerned it wouldn't grade and if it did it wold come back Authentic or with a qualifier etc... Anyways, I traded the damn thing for I cant even remember.

He sent it in to Beckett and came back a BVG 8! I was so pissed and still to this day I kick myself in the rear end for making that stupid trade. I tried to get it back from him but he wanted mucho $$. I think he ended up selling it for like 800 or something ...ugghhh.

I have an interesting story of one of the more bonehead moves i made and my first trade on beckett. Back in 98 I pulled a 98 leaf r/s jd drew rc card which was the hottest card on the market. I went home and posted it on beckett buy/sell/trade. I ended up declining 3 offers of $150 and took a 1989 upper deck griffey jr psa 9 in trade. (remember this was in 98, value on that was about 300). I was dumb enough to then trade the griffey for 3 Psa 9 Terell Davis Sp rookies and a ungraded Derek Jeter Sp rc. At the time I thought each trade I get getting something better so months later I unloaded the Jeter sp and 2 PSA davis rookies for a 1999 collectors edge supreme psa10 redemption card. I thought how can u go wrong with Ricky williams and the card was listed about $150 at the time. So that one pack yielded me the best rookie cards in my collection--griffey psa 9 and Jeter sp and I was dumb enough to turn those into a Ricky Williams Psa 10 and a Terell davis psa 9 which combined can be bought for 10 bucks. I really Miss the Griffey and Jeter Sad
I am the resident super collector of David Wright. I also collect Jose Reyes, Michael Jordan, Brett Favre, Antoine Walker and Rookies.
Set needs- 2007 bowman chrome and draft refractors -69% complete
Over 500 trades on beckett since joining in 1999
[Image: FG4Hq.png]