`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
The so called "shot in the arm" our hobby needs?

RE: The so called "shot in the arm" our hobby needs?
I think you're exactly right. Kids these days are somewhat quick to hook, but they don't stay long...something to be said about the changes in our society and culture, with technology and instant gratification from literally hundreds of different choices, with attention spans of microseconds. Baseball isn't that type of game. It's slow, paced, sometimes sleepy and uneventful.

Nevertheless, I'm trying real hard as a parent to expose my kids to baseball and baseball cards. We get to Lansing Lugnuts and Detroit Tigers games, and watch on tv.....and even on the radio once in awhile.

A lot of this is starting to make sense now, when you think of the golden days of baseball, when those kids didn't have all the distractions; rather, it must have been crazy to be a kid, listening on the radio or watching a game, then getting a pack of cards, looking for your favorite players. The cards were a way to connect with the game.

(02-09-2012, 09:38 PM)uvaspina Wrote: To add on a point that others have already made, the game of baseball -not just the hobby- has lost the interest today's kids. I think that's a major barrier to growing the hobby. Kids have so many more things to do these days and baseball needs to better capture their attention and imagination. At a very base level, baseball cards just aren't that accessible for children. It's easier to find yu-gi-oh and pokemon cards in a drug store/supermarket than baseball cards. Its hard for me to grasp the appeal of those fantasy type cards. But in any event, it shows that kids DO like playing with and collecting cards. Topps baseball simply isn't doing a good job of reaching them. -I like the idea of doing advertising on kids channels/cartoons.
[Image: ueT15.png]

A big THANKS to jbel4331 for the awesome banner!

RE: The so called "shot in the arm" our hobby needs?
(02-09-2012, 09:57 PM)michaelpoyma Wrote: I think you're exactly right. Kids these days are somewhat quick to hook, but they don't stay long...something to be said about the changes in our society and culture, with technology and instant gratification from literally hundreds of different choices, with attention spans of microseconds. Baseball isn't that type of game. It's slow, paced, sometimes sleepy and uneventful.

Nevertheless, I'm trying real hard as a parent to expose my kids to baseball and baseball cards. We get to Lansing Lugnuts and Detroit Tigers games, and watch on tv.....and even on the radio once in awhile.

A lot of this is starting to make sense now, when you think of the golden days of baseball, when those kids didn't have all the distractions; rather, it must have been crazy to be a kid, listening on the radio or watching a game, then getting a pack of cards, looking for your favorite players. The cards were a way to connect with the game.
I work in downtown Lansing and go to about 10 lugnut and 10 tiger games per year. -it was cool to see Castellanos a couple times last season. Glad to see that you're doing your best to instill a passion for baseball in your kids. My dad did the same for me.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*