`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Before you rant about sticker autos....keep this in mind.

Before you rant about sticker autos....keep this in mind.
Everyone seems to have a huge problem with sticker autos.....but I don't think they totally take into consideration the reason behind them. Sure, everyone would like to have every card signed directly on the card and not on a sticker......but there is a big problem with on-card autos.

The problem is REDEMPTIONS. In the production process, at some point cards need to be packaged out to get to the stores on time before the release date. On-card autos need to be shipped out, signed, and returned all before that time. Since players don't sign their on-card autos in time, they have to put redemptions in their place. With stickers, the company can keep a stockpile of autos and stick them on as they need.....no need for a redemption.

In an ideal world, every card would be on-card, returned on time, with no redemptions put out.....but the world isn't perfect and that's nearly impossible....and then when there are redemptions people complain because the company issued them.

Idk....I just keep seeing everyone complain about a stickers and I just needed to rant haha.
[Image: Screenshot2012-08-02at100731PM.png]

RE: Before you rant about sticker autos....keep this in mind.
Have players sign blank cards. Like index cards. Then do a "cut" type card with them. Solves the sticker problem. 2006 Ovation Spotlight comes to mind. Stickers are just cheap and ugly.
[Image: 06udokg1.jpg]
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

(02-02-2012, 04:10 PM)krykslr Wrote: The problem is REDEMPTIONS. In the production process, at some point cards need to be packaged out to get to the stores on time before the release date. On-card autos need to be shipped out, signed, and returned all before that time. Since players don't sign their on-card autos in time, they have to put redemptions in their place. With stickers, the company can keep a stockpile of autos and stick them on as they need.....no need for a redemption.
What about when my redeemed "redemption" card has a sticker auto?

Also, aren't all certified auto's "signed in the presence of a *company X* representative to guarantee authenticity"?? Perhaps I'm reading it the wrong way, but it seems that you're saying that these autographs (on-card or sticker) are just shipped to the player, signed and sent back? Do they have something like team reps that work for the card companies that coordinate with the players when the cards/stickers arrive to witness the signing of them? Your insight/knowledge of this subject would be of great appreciation, as now I have some concern as to whom is actually signing my cards

I'm not huge into collecting auto's ubt my feeling on the subject....
Auto's are more desirable on-card, and often command more $ on the secondary market. The use of stickers came from the greed of producers wanting to make more products/profit by giving the us, the secondary market, more of what we wanted, autographs.
Redemption cards should only be used for something which you have to supply, not for something you hope/wish or even expect to have.
My one and only disappointment with a redemption card came in 2004. I had my wisdom teeth removed and was given a handful of packs of UD Sweet Spot, from which I received a redemption for a dual auto of Jeter/Mattingly. I redeemed, waited a year, saw a Jeter/Mattingly dual auto produced for 05 UD Sweet Spot and was like WTH! Contacted UD and they sent me a replacement auto's: a dual Felix Hernandez/someone else (I forget, but it was not a star) and a friggin football auto of Jordan Palmer. It's right around then that I gave up collecting that kind of stuff. It all comes down to greed and the need for a company to show better results year over year. Talking about this side of our hobby really makes me feel like crap.......
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

(02-02-2012, 05:18 PM)bennyfunk Wrote: What about when my redeemed "redemption" card has a sticker auto?

Also, aren't all certified auto's "signed in the presence of a *company X* representative to guarantee authenticity"?? Perhaps I'm reading it the wrong way, but it seems that you're saying that these autographs (on-card or sticker) are just shipped to the player, signed and sent back? Do they have something like team reps that work for the card companies that coordinate with the players when the cards/stickers arrive to witness the signing of them? Your insight/knowledge of this subject would be of great appreciation, as now I have some concern as to whom is actually signing my cards
There is a lot more to it than people like to believe, or want to believe anyway. I get the impression that some people think a card company can order the players around to do whatever they want, whenever they want. I'll come back later and try to dig up a thread on another board where the guy who currently runs Leaf explains it and PM you the link. It gives much better insight than people speculating about what actually happens.

I will say that (when I collected them) I preferred on card but bottom line is I liked the card that looked best. Sometimes stickers can work well with the overall design. I've seen the reason posted a couple of times in the past (here and elsewhere) that people like on card because it's more "personal" and they like that the player touched it. That creeps me out. Additionally, I can guarantee the player sees nothing "personal" about it and probably forget about the whole thing 2 minutes after they complete signing.

(02-02-2012, 04:12 PM)cptnemo66 Wrote: Have players sign blank cards. Like index cards. Then do a "cut" type card with them. Solves the sticker problem. 2006 Ovation Spotlight comes to mind. Stickers are just cheap and ugly.
[Image: 06udokg1.jpg]
Yuck, I hate cards like that. I don't really mind sticker autos, I would much rather have a sticker than that
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)

I personally dont mind Sticker autos at all. Ya on card are nicer, but for the most part im just fine with a sticker auto so long as its not slapped on really sloppy / crooked.
[Image: n0Ji6.png]

I dont really mind stickers or the cut card method. I just dont like with the cut cards and cut autos, that they cut off letters under the window. There is none of that with stickers or on-card autos. As long as I like the card, thats all that matters to me. There's also someone on the boards whose father was an UD employee, who oversaw the athletes signing. I think his name is chadscards.

OK, here are a few of the posts I dug up from Brian Gray (owner of Leaf) on another forum.

"In defense of the other companies who rely on stickers far more than us, manufacturing is FAR MORE DIFFICULT than you can imagine... There are too many moving pieces to coordinate for all to cgo swimmingly.

The celebrities/athletes cannot get shipments of cards every week to sign. They just wont do the deals.

The celebrities/athletes are not sitting at home waiting for me, Topps or anyone else to ship stuff to sign... we have to work around them...

The factories that print/package are so jam packed booked we cannot miss print dates or it could result in items being pushed back MONTHS in some cases.... collectors hate delays (and companies cannot afford the float) too....

The cost efficiencies to print (and keep product affordable) require whole sets to be printed at once... Therefore, if a player cannot sign in the window as others can. He either signs stickers or gets redemptions...

Trust me, it aint easy... we do more on-card as percentage than the big 3.... It aint easy.... BG"
========================================================

"I personally dislike stickers... HOWEVER, when you do a deal with a big name: (1) they want a big deal for lots of signatures and lots of $$$, (2) they want to sign everything for the deal in one sitting (we cannot send 200 cards here, 300 there, etc) and (3) autograph costs are rising (in most cases, companies have to pay players far more than the autos bring on ebay), therefore manufacturers have to spread them out over more projects to keep everything low # to hopefully provide value...

The problem with cuts as you describe is that they allow very little design flexibility. Stickers can be used with almost any design and because they are clear give great flexibity. In addition, the stickers are often easier for the player to handle and far preferred by them.

I think its a shame that some wont collect a player witha sticker auto when there is no other wya to get them. But, thats the beauty of collecting. You can buy what you want and its totally your call!

With that being said... we do tons of on-card and tons of inscriptions, so we obviously care. We just know that stickers are necessary, Without them, checklists form all companies would get FAR WORSE. Trust me.
BG"

My feeling is this ... I prefer on-card, because the players generally sign it better (more loops, fuller sig) if they have more room on the actual card.

Perfect example — Cam Newton's Topps Chrome on-card autos vs. his sticker stuff in other products.

However, two things ... if a sticker means a better chance that I will get the player I was supposed to get — unlike 2001-02 Topps Basketball, where I was supposed to get Allen Iverson (one of my all-time favorites), but received Kwame Brown and Gilbert Arenas a year and a half later — then I'm all for a sticker.

As to the argument that on-card is better because the player touched it and it's more personal, I look at it like this ... since you never met the player or saw him sign it, it takes the personal aspect out of it, and it isn't any different than a sticker.

Also, back in the day, I pulled a LeBron auto rookie out of SP Authentic. It was and is my all-time best pull, but the corners were definitely chipped on the back even though it was straight out of the pack.

I always wondered whether the cards got damaged as LeBron signed them or when they got sent back to the company, because the Upper Deck COA on the back says they were signed in the presence of a company rep/or sent back by the athlete.

Definitely wasn't complaining about the pull (LOL).

Either way, I think it's just fun to pull an auto.