`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1969 Mets Team photo autograph question

1969 Mets Team photo autograph question
I got a 16x20 photograph showing the 1969 Mets celebrating their world series win. The photo is signed by 24 members of the team including the entire starting line-up including Tom Seaver, Jerry Koosman, and Yogi Berra (even though he was only a coach). There is no Gil Hodges signature though that would've been awesome, and now impossible since he passed way back in 1972. However there also is no signature from Nolan Ryan. I know Ryan only pitched 2 1/3 innings of relief in Game 3 of the series and even got the save for that game. However that is all he pitched in that series. I am wondering if I should bother trying to get Nolan Ryan's signature added or just to be content with the current signatures. Essentially what value if any will adding Nolan Ryan's autograph to the picture add. I know I can mail it into his foundation and he will sign for $55 plus shipping costs. So I am really wondering if adding his signature will bump the value up that much. Additionally all the signatures on the photo are in blue sharpie, so if I were to send it to Nolan Ryan I would definitely send a blue sharpie with it (and hope that he actually uses it). One final note, the photo is currently certified by JSA so would adding the Nolan Ryan autograph cause any problems down the road if I were to want to sell it. Let me know your thoughts on this and what you would do if it was your photo.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

RE: 1969 Mets Team photo autograph question
My thoughts:

1. Having Nolan Ryan's signature on anything can't hurt the value. Along with all the others, it probably helps a good bit.

2. As long as you keep documentation showing Ryan's signature came from him and that you paid for it, there shouldn't be any issue with authenticity down the road.

3. If it were me, I'd try to do it.

Good luck!
*Please note that in all of my future trades, I will require extra time to ship. I have no adequate transportation to a post office. If you don't want to wait, please do not trade with me.*

Nolan is a big deal to Mets fans even though he hardly played in that World Series win and didnt have as long a career with them as guys like Koosman and Seaver did. He holds some startling records:

Most strikeouts, lifetime: 5714
Longest service: 27 years
Most no-hitters, career: 7
Most strikeouts, season: 383 (AL, 1973)
Most seasons, 200+ strikeouts: 15
Most seasons, 300+ strikeouts: 6
Most consecutive strikouts, game: 8
Most low-hit (0/1 hit) games, career: 16
Most low-hit (0/1 hit) games, season: 3 (1973)
Most strikouts per 9 innings, season: 11.48
Fewest hits allowed per 9 innings, season: 5.26 (1972)
Oldest to pitch a no-hitter: 44 (5/1/91)
Fastest pitch (as listed in the Guiness Book Of World Records): 101.9 MPH

The Mets dont have many HOF'ers in their history and he is one of them. Were proud of Nolan. Adding his sig will most certainly add value to your photo if youre looking to move it. Im not sure how much that value would be but I know that I am personally in the market for a team signed '69 Mets piece and would not even consider buying something that was missing Nolan. Its only $55. If you include a note and pen hell use it.

As for the CoA, Im not positive but I believe if any changes are made to the piece its voided. Id contact JSA about that.
-:Mets:-:NY Rangers:-:Twins:-:Wild:-:Vikings:-

I am well aware of Nolan Ryan's amazing career and all the records he holds. I am not doubting that he is highly respected and collected. Heck, I have several Nolan Ryan autographed items already including tickets from some of his major milestone games. That being said if this was to stay in my collection long term than would probably pay to get the signature added. I am just concerned that monetarily it won't add that much to the value of the photo and that there could be some more money that would have to be spent to get the certification updated from JSA. I got the photo for a pretty good deal and am considering reselling it as I really want a 1986 Mets team signed photo or even a team signed ball from the 86 Mets. So I am really debating what to do right now. Thanks!
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.

(02-02-2012, 02:54 PM)djohn Wrote: I am well aware of Nolan Ryan's amazing career and all the records he holds. I am not doubting that he is highly respected and collected. Thanks!
I think you answered your own question then.

-:Mets:-:NY Rangers:-:Twins:-:Wild:-:Vikings:-

(02-03-2012, 03:08 PM)Merovius Wrote: I think you answered your own question then.
No I don't think I did, maybe you are misunderstanding my question. What I want to know is, what monetary value will getting Nolan Ryan to sign the picture add to the value of it?
Let's say as is the value is $250, but if I had Nolan Ryan sign it would it jump in value to over $325 or would it still be worth around $250 or just jump slightly to $275-$300. To offset the cost of adding Nolan Ryan's signature the photo would have to jump in value by over $75 ($55 for the auto + about $10 for shipping each way with insurance). So I am really debating whether it's worth it, as personally I don't think the value jumps that much by adding his signature.