`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you rather: Crazy cost of Animal patch cards

RE: Would you rather: Crazy cost of Animal patch cards
(01-24-2012, 03:20 PM)jhyde77 Wrote: I can see it now. Soon, they'll have UD Endangered. They'll be doing hair and paw print cards. If a gorilla manufactured patch sells for $500, imagine what people would pay for African Gorilla DNA inserts. And it wouldn't have to be from the actual gorilla. If the authenticity is contested, Upper Deck could say the hair is believed to be from the African Gorilla. As a marketing hook they could say "Get them before they're extinct!" Ha ha.
That may be the most truthful thing ever! If UD (It was once my favorite company) is only allowed to make like 3 products a year, why are they focusing on this? They really should be making a product for 65 dollars, a high end one, and one that is like allen and ginter

but you could say this IS UD's version of ginter

But they did have a trex tooth card, which is awesome!

Except it sold for 8,950....
[Image: MyNewBanner_zps12325c44.jpg]

My Photobucket:
http://s1055.beta.photobucket.com/user/M...ds?src=wap
WILL TRADE FOR ALL MARQUES COLSTON CARDS!

(01-24-2012, 03:35 PM)LongliveStl Wrote: That may be the most truthful thing ever! If UD (It was once my favorite company) is only allowed to make like 3 products a year, why are they focusing on this? They really should be making a product for 65 dollars, a high end one, and one that is like allen and ginter

but you could say this IS UD's version of ginter

But they did have a trex tooth card, which is awesome!

Except it sold for 8,950....
Unforunteately, I never got to see this one, how big of a tooth are we talking? I've collected fossils for a long time (I'm an archeology/paleontology major) and I've seen trex teeth (depending on size and condition) sell from hundreds to thousands. Just wondering how much it being on a card increased the value.

Personally...I'd kinda dig the Endangered DNA stuff. It'd be relatively easy to obtain, I mean zoos have some endagered species, it'd be easy....and I'd collect it. I mean they've already done thuroughbread horse hair, why not gorillas? lol

Heck, let's do mythical creatures too! If Topps can do the feux wolfman, carnival, and greek god memorabilia, why not Unicorn hair? Tongue
[Image: logo1_zpsad67d293.jpg]

11-12 UD Hockey w/ YGs: 438/500 (88%)

DO NOT TRADE LIST: chargers2427, mrmagnum75

(01-24-2012, 06:00 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: Unforunteately, I never got to see this one, how big of a tooth are we talking? I've collected fossils for a long time (I'm an archeology/paleontology major) and I've seen trex teeth (depending on size and condition) sell from hundreds to thousands. Just wondering how much it being on a card increased the value.

Personally...I'd kinda dig the Endangered DNA stuff. It'd be relatively easy to obtain, I mean zoos have some endagered species, it'd be easy....and I'd collect it. I mean they've already done thuroughbread horse hair, why not gorillas? lol

Heck, let's do mythical creatures too! If Topps can do the feux wolfman, carnival, and greek god memorabilia, why not Unicorn hair? Tongue
The Trex tooth was in a lot of a couple cards. It was about 6 and 1/8 inches long and it was in a pretty beaten up state.

But if I was in the ground for 68 million years it would do that

My Photobucket:

(01-24-2012, 06:45 PM)LongliveStl Wrote: The Trex tooth was in a lot of a couple cards. It was about 6 and 1/8 inches long and it was in a pretty beaten up state.

But if I was in the ground for 68 million years it would do that

oh so the guy had the entire SET of the Trex tooth? That's kind of epic...wouldn't say 8gs epic (you can get one about that size in decent shape for 5ish k)

(01-24-2012, 06:58 PM)swjrp10 Wrote: oh so the guy had the entire SET of the Trex tooth? That's kind of epic...wouldn't say 8gs epic (you can get one about that size in decent shape for 5ish k)
Na man it was that, a petradon tooth card and another card that contained a 6 inch Meg in it plus some low numbered inserts (like 5 I think)

My Photobucket:

(01-24-2012, 07:03 PM)LongliveStl Wrote: Na man it was that, a petradon tooth card and another card that contained a 6 inch Meg in it plus some low numbered inserts (like 5 I think)
oh so the entire tooth was encapsulated in the card? or just a piece? lol I'm sorry if I'm being thick lol I know they've done parts of teeth, but I've also seen full ones for Allosaurus. If they were full sized teeth, that's a pretty good deal...otherwise...eh lol

(01-23-2012, 08:06 PM)LongliveStl Wrote: Would you rather? (And I think I already know that answer...)

Buy: 2 California Condor and one Panda 2011 Goodwin Champions Animal Kingdom patch cards

OR

Buy: 1 Case of 2008 Topps sterling (10 box case)

Yes it is sad and true that they both cost they same, 1500 dollars.

I know the patch cards are like one in 13,984 but I ask myself...

WHY!?!

Why would ANYONE spend this much?

(continuing earlier thread about patch cards)
That's the same as people who don't collect say how can people pay $1500 on pictures of baseball players (think what type of big screen TV, mortgage payment, 4-5 months of car payments, etc. someone could buy or pay on). It all depends on what you are into.

[Image: fredwilliamson.jpg]

I agree with what ricelynn said, some of us here drop that much on single cards that don't even have autos or GU or anything (superfractors, etc)
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)