`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: Selling Coins

OT: Selling Coins
Hey guys, I posted a thread earlier about making some money to purchase a Hank Aaron auto, and the best way for me to do that is to sell some old coins that I got passed down to me. They're ones such as Half Dollar Walking Liberty's and Dollar Morgan Coins and so on, but I don't know the best place to try and sell them...and that's where I was hoping you all could chime in and help?

Is the best place to try and move them for cash on ebay or would it be at my local gold and silver shop? I know very little about coins and wanted to move them to purchase more cards, so I was hoping that any of you would have some ideas for me! Thanks a ton!
[Image: MusialCastrobanner.png][Image: 1958Castro.png]

RE: OT: Selling Coins
Anyone offer some advice?

I would have your gold and jewelry shop look at them IF they buy coins-you could have some serious value-you have at least the silver content-most Liberty's sell for around 20-26 dollars each in mint condition-I collect coins (silver) so I know a little-most gold smiths will give you silver value and if the Liberty's are in great shape they are worth more-I would also be interested in bulk if I knew the condition-I do have a WARNING though don't let the silver shop tell you they are worth a dollar or try to low ball you like the pawn show on TV-I took some to my silver shop and he only wanted to give me 30% of their value, that when I decided not to go to the middle man anymore.They only give you pennies on the dollar and they must also resell them to make a profit-if you can try to cut out the middle man--Also not that a dime is around 2.5 grams and a silver dollar 28 grams of silver--silver at this time is $1.03 per gram making a dimes melt value at $2.06 and a silver dollars melt value at $28.00
Will always be looking for 2012 or 2013 Panini Cooperstown Signatures for the two sets I'm building-Will trade in your favor--will ship first--Thanks

If it was me I would go to a coin shop and get their opinion about the value of each coin and any details regarding what might make any of them special. If you already know what they are and their value then check to see what they are selling for on eBay and then see if a coin shop will pay you around the same price you will get after eBay/Paypal fees.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I was in a financial pinch about 6 months ago and needed some FAST CASH so I reluctantly picked some of my coins to sell and headed off to the local coin shops....NEVER AGAIN...The best offer I heard was about 50% of what I knew I could get on ebay for them....As an example, one of the coins I took to the shops was an 1892 Liberty "V" nickel that looked as though it had been minted last week...very sharp coin. The highest offer I had locally from a dealer was 50 bucks...I listed it on ebay with some excellent photos, starting bid of 99 cents, no reserve, and a ONE DAY auction and it sold for 113.50...I listed all of the other coins in the same manner and ALL sold for at least double what I had been offered locally.

*Note ~ these were all better condition coins (AU or better)...lower grades will not bring the same results.

Thanks for all the help so far guys! Really appreciate it. Trying to reach my goal to get that Hank Aaron auto!

Yeah I would say ebay as well. Coin dealers wanna make a profit and they have to compete with ebay as well so there going to low bid you.
Derek Jeter Collector from 1992-1996. 305 out of 306 99% complete.

1450/1919 1990's Jeter cards 76%

[Image: scan0116-1.jpg]

Worst case scenario is check into a pawn shop too.
Check me out! Updating all the time. Working my ORG daily! Have lots to trade.

Collect Patriots, Texans, Bruins, Texas A&M, UCONN and current project 2011 Certified FOTG /250 set 2011 Playoff Contenders Set

http://s1082.photobucket.com/albums/j369/Mercier2002/