`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please explain this " american idol syndrome"

Please explain this " american idol syndrome"
you know- when the people try out for american idol- they think they are awesome- but they are horrible and people are laughing at them--
well, the same way with some cards i have been seeing on ebay-
notably ken griffey jr graded refractors
for instance
this $X BV card
Link removed

is priced at 180..
and many more 600, 700, 800$ for 1990's cards that are PSA 9..
can someone shed some light on this?
thanks
im a griffey collector and feel like these people are trying to get someone to pay more than they are worth- unless they are on to something

RE: Please explain this " american idol syndrome"
Can't see the links anymore but if they are harder to find 90s inserts, that is normally the case. I'm not sure what you're going by when you say "people are paying more than they are worth" (not exact wording) but if you're going by BV, you can pretty much toss that out the window when it comes to 90s inserts, if that is what you were talking about in the first place. The links were removed so I can't see them.

not sure why link removed- people link to ebay all the time here?
it was a 1996 griffey refractor PSA 9..dude wanted 180...and all the other griffey refractors priced at hundreds of dollars...but some of which i have purchased in the past for 15-30 PSA graded..
what gives?

(01-19-2012, 06:27 PM)mikmouse24 Wrote: not sure why link removed- people link to ebay all the time here?
it was a 1996 griffey refractor PSA 9..dude wanted 180...and all the other griffey refractors priced at hundreds of dollars...but some of which i have purchased in the past for 15-30 PSA graded..
what gives?
If the auction was a live auction, then that's why the link was pulled.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Some the late 90's refractors easily sell for that much, espcially a popular player like Griffey or jeter. That is when it was tough to pull a refractor. Now you get like 1 or 2 a pack.

Take a look at late 90's Jordan refractors. Those prices are skyrocketing.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

american idol SUCKS!!!
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]

American Idol syndrome = http://youtu.be/wSyVIwzWMVI

As for the Ebay link, it was one of that Vintagesnowmobile guys. (his auctions have been brought into question a couple of times on here before) He does put crazy high prices on everything. Maybe he started it when graded cards were supposed to be some elite way over book value thing, but said trend has never really caught on with Joe Q collector and the seller did not get the memo. I bought a Finest refractor of Frank Thomas from him once. He took way less than the Buy It Now - but he has come up in conversation before and perhaps did not give someone else any price break ha ha.

As for the specific card linked, did not research it, BUT there have been some low book value old inserts go for crazy values here and there so the seller is wishing upon a star and never know, he might get what he wants - doubtful, but if it says best offer, no reason not to try and or bug him about it (have to assume people have sent him plenty of messages about his high prices and seeing as he still does the same ole high listings they don't bother)

(01-19-2012, 11:13 PM)sesfan01 Wrote: american idol SUCKS!!!
+1
Topps Master Set Builder, Dodgers and Mike Piazza Collector as well.

@ sesamestreet
that proves my suspicions- thanks for taking the time to post that..i just thought i was missing something...
and yes
+1 american idol sucks