`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantle Collectors - Need your feedback

Mantle Collectors - Need your feedback
Hey guys I've been a subscriber for a couple years now and am sporadic on the site. I know there are Mantle collectors out there (maybe Yankee collectors) but I was wondering what your methods are of collecting Mantles? Do you go for Topps Regular set cards (they get expensive) or game used or recent reprints? Any feedback would be appreciated! I am currently working on an exhaustive list for each year - starting first with 1969 and working backwards. This may be futile and silly but hey, my friends and family think that anyway about my hobby...
Collecting:
Matt Kemp AUTOS
Dodger GU & AUTO
2009 Ultimate or Legendary Collection Quad / Auto - ALL
Mantle cards
2001 Fleer Greats of the Game AUTO 92/94 - 97.8% complete - missing Stargell Redemption Card and Mays SP
National League Rookie of the Year - GU, Auto, RC
____

RE: Mantle Collectors - Need your feedback
Going 1969 back cant be more than 100 or so cards with all the oddballs and some early ones can get VERY expensive. So if your only looking to collect Mantle sooner or later you will start to pick up some recent cards and GU's and such. As some vintage may be out of your price range.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

I personally prefer Vintage Mick's over GUs & Modern stuff. It is expensive at times,but it's still fun to chase 'em! Just keep an eye out,and don't be TOO picky about condition if you're on a budget. I'll take ANY Vintage cards of him as long as there's no paper loss or pen marks.

I got these Mantles:

1953 Topps (this was the most I've ever spent on a card,haha)
1958 Topps
1958 Topps All-Star
1962 Topps
1962 Topps All-Star
1963 Topps
1966 Topps

And I hope to get more soon!

I'm a big Yogi guy too,so I chase his Vintage as well. And though Berra is a bit pricey too,it's alot easier to get him.
[Image: 60JLt.png]

[Image: TexasHorns.jpg]

My Teams: Longhorns (Colt McCoy & Vince Young PC) - Ravens (Ray Lewis PC) - Yankees (Alex Rodriguez PC)

(01-16-2012, 10:01 PM)cptnemo66 Wrote: Going 1969 back cant be more than 100 or so cards with all the oddballs and some early ones can get VERY expensive. So if your only looking to collect Mantle sooner or later you will start to pick up some recent cards and GU's and such. As some vintage may be out of your price range.
Right now my Mantle collection is all over. The vintage is easier to track but can get very expensive. I have 1960 - 1969 Topps Regular cards of his, and then I have picked up some of the other cards in those years - All Stars, League Leaders, etc. Even have a few of the odd ones - two of the '64 coins and a rub off.

I also enjoy the newer stuff like you said - less pricey, and some nice cards. I picked up the 1996 and 1997 Topps Reprints 1 - 36 as well as the refractor parallel of that set. Also some of the eTopps.

I appreciate your input. I am trying to get focus and have some method to this madness that I am consumed with!
(01-16-2012, 10:08 PM)x yankeemike x Wrote: I personally prefer Vintage Mick's over GUs & Modern stuff. It is expensive at times,but it's still fun to chase 'em! Just keep an eye out,and don't be TOO picky about condition if you're on a budget. I'll take ANY Vintage cards of him as long as there's no paper loss or pen marks.

I got these Mantles:

1953 Topps (this was the most I've ever spent on a card,haha)
1958 Topps
1958 Topps All-Star
1962 Topps
1962 Topps All-Star
1963 Topps
1966 Topps

And I hope to get more soon!

I'm a big Yogi guy too,so I chase his Vintage as well. And though Berra is a bit pricey too,it's alot easier to get him.
I'm impressed! You have the earlier and I have the later...I like the idea of buying maybe lower quality to complete the vintage and then upgrade. The prices are all over the place - but having those vintage cards takes it back to a time in baseball that I absolutely love!

Again, being a Dodger fan, you think I would obsess over one of my own...!
Collecting:
Matt Kemp AUTOS
Dodger GU & AUTO
Mantle cards
2001 Fleer Greats of the Game AUTO 92/94 - 97.8% complete - missing Stargell Redemption Card and Mays SP
____

(01-17-2012, 02:14 AM)crazy4cardz Wrote: Again, being a Dodger fan, you think I would obsess over one of my own...!
Its funny how Mantle is so loved in the hobby. If he played today and was the same drinkin, gamblin, womanizing, guy that he was. He be a social out cast like John Daily or Charlie Sheen lol.....
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

(01-17-2012, 07:05 AM)cptnemo66 Wrote: Its funny how Mantle is so loved in the hobby. If he played today and was the same drinkin, gamblin, womanizing, guy that he was. He be a social out cast like John Daily or Charlie Sheen lol.....
Maybe so, but the man could play baseball...the same could be said about Picasso, and look what his stuff goes for! And from a strict monetary standpoint, I'd rather be stuck with a bunch of Mantle stuff than any of our beloved steroid era stars!
Collecting:
Matt Kemp AUTOS
Dodger GU & AUTO
Mantle cards
____

(01-17-2012, 07:05 AM)cptnemo66 Wrote: Its funny how Mantle is so loved in the hobby. If he played today and was the same drinkin, gamblin, womanizing, guy that he was. He be a social out cast like John Daily or Charlie Sheen lol.....
Where did America go wrong? Hell I like drinking, gambling, and chasing women! It's why I have a job! Smile

I have an extra 67 in my ORG that I'm trading for vintage. Check me if you like.
[Image: banner.png] [Image: wieters-1.png]
Collecting Orioles, Ravens, and Topps Baseball sets 57, (Finally finished 58!), 67, and 69 (need only 2!). Also, MLB HOF Autos.

Mantle is one of many stars I collect and I collect all of his cards as long as they are standard size or smaller. I don't collect the oversize stuff. I have about 1000 different cards of Mantle including all of his Topps vintage except for the 1952 Rookie. Fortunately I picked all the vintage up in the early 80s when I could buy them for under $100 each. They're not in perfect condition but they're good enough for me.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

(01-17-2012, 09:56 AM)JASCards Wrote: Where did America go wrong? Hell I like drinking, gambling, and chasing women! It's why I have a job! Smile
One could say its the character and integrity you show on the job, not after it. If I were my job performance where graded on how I acted outside of work, .... hmmmm! Now if I were drinking, gambling, and chasing women ON THE JOB, well, then, I'd be a member of Congress or hell, even President!

Collecting:
Matt Kemp AUTOS
Dodger GU & AUTO
Mantle cards
____