`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Autograph preservation

Autograph preservation
I just purchased a signed 8x10 photo. It is authenticated by PSA. Nice bold beautiful signature. I want to display it. I know that with auto cards it is best to keep them in the dark(which I do already). But this photo was meant for display, I cant think of any other reason to have it.
My question was how best to preserve the auto. I assume keeping direct sunlight off of it would be a no brainer but do you think artificial room lighting will fade my auto? Or is that something that just happens to those sticker auto's on cards? Any thought or ideas would be appreciated.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but didn't see one that fit this topic, beside nobody really looks at the other forums anyway Smile
[Image: eazyebanner.jpg]
Collecting ALL 2005 Frank Gore -148/406=36%
Collecting ALL 2006 Vernon davis -129/829=15%
Collecting ALL 2007 Patrick Willis -79/818=9%
Collecting ALL 2005-06 Monta Ellis -86/163=53%

RE: Autograph preservation
well theres uv glass in some frames that protects the ink and pictures from indoor lighting. I don't know where you can get it besides a frame shop. The 8x10's I have displayed are just in regular frames and the autos still look the same as they always have.

(01-02-2012, 08:13 PM)jdetter23 Wrote: well theres uv glass in some frames that protects the ink and pictures from indoor lighting. I don't know where you can get it besides a frame shop. The 8x10's I have displayed are just in regular frames and the autos still look the same as they always have.
agreed...if its not in direct sunlight i wouldnt stress the auto fading. it will over time thats just natural but indoors out of direct sunlight youll be fine.

ive got a ton of pictures and none have shown any signs of fading
[Image: supbullcoc1.jpg]

Collection Completion
GU - 131
AU - 219
1/1 - 25
total - 478
478/858 55.710/100%

Your lights do matter...our one shop locations had lights that faded tons of pictures in a short time...in about 2 years we had ruined multiple pictures...Id say do a little research
[Image: kc.png]

THE KEARY COLBERT HOARD NOW HAS OVER 500 DIFFERENT CARDS!
& MORE THAN 1500+ WITH 500+ AUTOS

You can purchase UV glass or acrylic for framing. If you use mats, gotta have acid free mats. My stepmom does framing, and that's what she uses on expensive pieces
[Image: 2a1aA.jpg]

(01-02-2012, 08:34 PM)chads-cards Wrote: Your lights do matter...our one shop locations had lights that faded tons of pictures in a short time...in about 2 years we had ruined multiple pictures...Id say do a little research
not doubting you on that one but its a little different setting. lights on in your shop are prolly for 10-12 hours a day? lights on at someones house is average 3-4 hrs pending on how they use their house.

me personally all the auto memorabilia i have is hung in a hallway with no lights on unless you walk through and in a game room where the lights arent on unless im in there (and i usuallt what football or play call of duty in the dark lol)
[Image: supbullcoc1.jpg]

Collection Completion
GU - 131
AU - 219
1/1 - 25
total - 478
478/858 55.710/100%

Thanks for all the good info !
[Image: eazyebanner.jpg]
Collecting ALL 2005 Frank Gore -148/406=36%
Collecting ALL 2006 Vernon davis -129/829=15%
Collecting ALL 2007 Patrick Willis -79/818=9%
Collecting ALL 2005-06 Monta Ellis -86/163=53%

Ive worked in the glass industry for 14the yrs. The UV glass is a good idea but pricey. Acrylic gets pricey too, and if dusted/cleaned from time to time, will mudge and streak over time.

Call a local glass shop and have cut you a piece(s) of "single strength anti-glare".

Should be anywhere between $6-10 per piece, possibly less.
Insert Banner.

Thanks for the good info. I've been curious about fading issues myself.
[Image: ClintonPortisautohavessig.jpg][Image: beckett-sig-copy-1-1.gif]
Looking for all Clinton Portis base, inserts, RC's.