`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to buy?

What to buy?
Hey guys, new poster here. I use to collect cards from around 87 to 92. I've recently been getting back into buying some cards. I've been buying the cards I wanted back then, the Mcgwires and so forth. They aint worth crap but I always wanted them when I was buying packs back in my youth. I'm also going futher back and working on some vintage cards. The ones we all want but couldnt (in our youth) or still cant afford. Big Grin

I'd like to get into buying some modern cards but to be honest I am a bit lost with all the variety and I actually havent watched baseball in twenty years. It will take me a bit to get caught up everything.

Now what 2011 boxes would you guys recommend to start out with? Thanks for any guidance.

RE: What to buy?
I like Triple Threads and Marquee some times. Take a look at some box breaks on youtube and see what you like from there.

(12-17-2011, 02:13 PM)jesterodx Wrote: Hey guys, new poster here. I use to collect cards from around 87 to 92. I've recently been getting back into buying some cards. I've been buying the cards I wanted back then, the Mcgwires and so forth. They aint worth crap but I always wanted them when I was buying packs back in my youth. I'm also going futher back and working on some vintage cards. The ones we all want but couldnt (in our youth) or still cant afford. Big Grin

I'd like to get into buying some modern cards but to be honest I am a bit lost with all the variety and I actually havent watched baseball in twenty years. It will take me a bit to get caught up everything.

Now what 2011 boxes would you guys recommend to start out with? Thanks for any guidance.
Get a box of Tribute
[Image: braunsig.png]

I'm waiting for 2012 Tribute to come out. 2011 was pretty pricey.

since youre just getting started, Id start off with something affordable like Bowman Chrome.

Welcome back! I'm also a "reborn" card collector. Born in 82, collected between 89-95, and now that I have son that is into baseball, we are collecting together. I've bought several retail boxes (Bowman Chrome, Topps Chrome, Bowman Draft, Topps Update, etc) and even went for a 2011 Topps Tier One (mid-high end box). There are many, many options. Other than Beckett.com (check out the "box busters" on the News section), there is on particular website that has helped me navigate the options. Since I'm unsure of how happy the mods would be if I shared it here, I'll send you a PM. Good luck, have fun!
[Image: mP9e9L.png]

It REALLY depends on your budget / what you are looking to get out of the box.

Personally i loved opening the couple boxes of Triple Threads i could afford, lol. Its super expensive, but when you compare it to most other products your getting better hits for the money.

i like the bowman chrome. started back collecting myself a year ago and started with the bowman. was lucky to hit a stras auto and a harper auto.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I just broke out my collection after having it in storage for 10 years.

In the last 2 months I've done or learned the following;
-Donated 30K crap/common cards from 86 - 92. No matter how much you think they are worth they are not unless they are names like mcgwire and mattingly
-I bought my first pack/box of cards in 20 years, great time opening (Bowman Chrome and Bowman Draft)
-CheckOutMyCards.com is an absolutely GREAT site to get what you want from back in the days. I've focused on Griffey since thats who I grew up watching.
-This is definitely a money a money sink hobby Smile
-I set a focus to try and save myself, and that is Griffey. The boxes I purchased were for "trade bait" and because I had some cash laying around

My personal advice is to find what you like w/ the hobby and go for it. Mine is more focused on just collection but I know people (myself included) LOVE breaking boxes and many sites will sell you boxes but shipping can be a ***** if you don't meet the minimum for free shipping.

I've now rambled

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I figureI already play paintball and airsoft why not one more hobby that takes cash...

I've went through six boxes this past week. Two 87 Topps, Three 87 Donruss, and a box of 92 Stadium Club that was tossed in the deal with the Topps... Not really worth busting them as I can buy what I want cheaper then the boxes since the 80's and 90's aint worth a darn and since the one player I use to really like decided to use performance enhancing drugs and his cards arent worth much. I broke even I'd say. So this leads me to modern boxes. I like to pull cards as that how I did it as a kid. Its nice too to buy them straight out or win an auction for them, but opening packs gives you that rush of "what if".

Anyway, I'll post up what kind of interesting cards I may end up allocating.