`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Does This Card Always Sell So High?

Why Does This Card Always Sell So High?
So I collect PSA graded HOFer Rookie Cards, and ever since last year when Bert Blyleven was inducted, I have been trying to purchase his '71 Topps in a 7 NRMT. It is a $20 card. This card goes for between $55 and $65 every time shipping included. I realize it is a condition sensitive set, he is a HOFer, and because he has got in recently, his cards may be selling higher.
I also realize that just because a card has a book value of $20, doesn't mean that it is going to sell accordingly. I have purchased other PSA 7's in that set and have never paid book value for the card except for a few high number SP's, but even at that, right about book. This card is a low number and is selling for triple book. Anyway, I know this was a long rant about this card, but just wondering if anyone knows something about this card that I don't. And if this card is still booked at $20, I think Beckett should adjust it.

RE: Why Does This Card Always Sell So High?
Because hes a commentator for the Twins, quite the character and Minnesotans are absolutely in love with him.

Value is in the eye of the beholder as you know. I'm sure it's hard for Beckett to keep up on the pricing with all the shiny stuff multiplying like rabbits. I've seen NM copies of that card sell for a lot more than $20 myself. I think you answered your own question though. Condition sensitive set, recent HOF'er.
Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.
http://s606.photobucket.com/home/jalbregts

Definately condition. Also his rookie card and a fan favorite.

(12-06-2011, 10:24 PM)jtollefsrud Wrote: It is a $20 card. This card goes for between $55 and $65 every time shipping included.
If it sells for $55 - $65 "every time", then why would you, in the previous sentence, say "it is a $20 card"? Obviously it's a $60 card, not a $20 card, and it seems as though you should adjust your budget accordingly
[Image: 1849c983.jpg]

Beckett pricing is behind on anything older than a year or two. They do a much better job tracking newer cards than older ones. There are more "$20" cards that constantly sell for $1-$2 than "$20" cards that sell for over book, however there are plenty of cards that consistently sell for over book value. That is one of the reasons most people use book value only as a guide and use real market value (prices from eBay and other online card sites) when determining what to sell for, buy at, or trade value.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(12-07-2011, 11:18 AM)djohn Wrote: Beckett pricing is behind on anything older than a year or two. They do a much better job tracking newer cards than older ones. There are more "$20" cards that constantly sell for $1-$2 than "$20" cards that sell for over book, however there are plenty of cards that consistently sell for over book value. That is one of the reasons most people use book value only as a guide and use real market value (prices from eBay and other online card sites) when determining what to sell for, buy at, or trade value.
I agree with that. Beckett pricing on vintage stuff is unreliable at best.
Interested in EX-MT or better pre-'56 Cardinals, '53 Bowman Color & '74-'78 Topps.
http://s606.photobucket.com/home/jalbregts

(12-07-2011, 09:12 AM)keyser soze Wrote: If it sells for $55 - $65 "every time", then why would you, in the previous sentence, say "it is a $20 card"? Obviously it's a $60 card, not a $20 card, and it seems as though you should adjust your budget accordingly
When I say it is a $20 card, I mean book value,and most people use the book value to reference what the card is worth. And yes, if you read the rest of my post, you see that I understand things don't always sell according to book value. My question was if anyone knew of why this particular card sells so high compared to other cards in that set compared to their book value. Not sure how the "should adjust my budget accordingly" comes into play?

Likely the fact that he is a hall of famer, it's his rookie card, and 71 is a tough year to get nice graded card. The PSA population report shows 191 cards graded an 8 and 421 graded a 7, There are only 13 psa 9's and 1 psa 10. Good luck getting your hands on one, I think I now need one for my collection. Happy bidding!
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

I just got an OK copy on ebay for about 5 bucks plus a buck shipping.
[Image: Scan464.jpg]
[Image: cropped-mojo-beard-banner-2-final.gif]