`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern rookie cards

Modern rookie cards
I have a collection of vintage rookie cards 1960 to present. Doesn't matter if they are stars or commons as long as they are rookies. I was wondering if todays modern rookie cards (1990-present) are worth acquiring? With all the autos, game-used, parallels, and prospect pre-rookie cards out there are they just looked over and say in 50 years will have no significance at all. The 2001 Bowman Chrome Pujols rc would be an exception but it just doesn't seem that true rookie cards (designated with the "rc" on the cards) matter anymore. Any thoughts?
Collecting Phillies base cards from 1950-present
Collecting all catcher prospect and rookie cards

RE: Modern rookie cards
I wouldn't necessarily say it doesn't matter. I think part of the problem is the mass number of rookie cards out there, both the first prospect cards and the first year cards, of each player. Add on top of that the parallels of each rookie card, which many still do consider a rookie card, and there are just so many of them out there that I think they lose their appeal. Too much of a good thing makes it bad.

In regards to the part of if they are worth acquiring, why not? It sounds like one of your collecting goals is obtaining RCs so I would get what you can while you can. When you get into the area that it gets to where there are about 10 different RCs, just pick which one you like the best and go with it.

id say like pujols/jeter/a-rod rookies
[Image: kc.png]

THE KEARY COLBERT HOARD NOW HAS OVER 500 DIFFERENT CARDS!
& MORE THAN 1500+ WITH 500+ AUTOS

I think that they are worth acquiring, but I agree that the hard part is that there are so many different rookie cards of each player that it is tough and that the overabundance does cheapen the value of some rookie cards versus others, not to mention the prospect card vs rookie card dilemma as to which is truly a rookie card.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

It's all relative. And a RC card of any player will generally be considered more valuable than subsequent cards for that same player, of the same type. Is the value of RCs diluted? Sure, but that's the case for all cards. There are so many parallels, and SNs, and inserts, etc. 1/1s aren't what they used to be, but they're relatively more valuable than the /25 or /50version of the card.
[Image: 36cc0864-5f8d-4b58-93b8-fdc0967187ff_zps685e4742.jpg]
Always looking for Verlander, Cabrera, Maybin, Mike Stanton (marlins), and Avisail Garcia.
*TRYING TO COMPLETE MY VERLANDER ROOKIE COLLECTION. 44/47. ONLY 3 TO GO!*

(12-04-2011, 07:50 PM)chads-cards Wrote: id say like pujols/jeter/a-rod rookies
I agree with this, but would also add the Fleer Update Piazza. If your gonna go after modern rookies, just go for HOFers or future HOFers .