`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
yet another topps tiffany thread (1989)

yet another topps tiffany thread (1989)
Digging through my old baseball cards that I collected growing up...while sorting 1989 topps I found about half of them looked fake (before I flipped them over). They seemed to be in MUCH better condition and the printing seemed different (shiney). Not glossy like 93 UD/Donruss glossy but definately glossier than the rest of my 89 topps.

Eventually, I noticed the little notes all over this site that says "Topps tiffany are glossy front and brighter backed"...

The backs are definately sharper on the glossy cards but they aren't a significantly different color...just look like they are new instead of 22 years old.

I looked at all the pictures that I could find on the forums but none are from 89 for me to compare to the cards I have...

What do you guys think? Did I come across a lot of tiffanys? Or did some of them just get preserved better than others sitting in my basement?

RE: yet another topps tiffany thread (1989)
The ones on the right are tiffanys
[Image: Image15.jpg]

yeah, I saw that pic earlier while searching. However, those are 1990 tiffanys. I was hoping to see a picture of some 89s (red back).

After digging through a few other years of my topps cards, I found 3 from 88 topps traded that are almost certainly tiffanys. The fronts look about the same glossiness of the 89s in question but the "whites" in the baseball outlines in the top corners are not nearly as white on the 89s (although they are brighter than my other 89s).

I'll see if I can post a pic or 2 of what I have

Hmm...after looking at a google image search, I doubt what I have are tiffanys (the tiffanys there all seem almost pink rather than red backed). Looks like I got just a bunch of really well preserved regular cards...or they are fakes like i origionally thought Smile...

Heres a '89
[Image: toppstiff.jpg]

(09-23-2011, 11:45 PM)yankees_pride Wrote: The ones on the right are tiffanys
[Image: Image15.jpg]
Are you sure the ones on the right are Tiffany? 1990 was the year that Topps had two different kinds of traded cards. The ones released in packs (up until then, the traded pretty much came in sets only) were the regular Topps card stock from that year, while the ones in the traded box sets were the lighter card stock like the ones on the right.

All the traded sets in the 80s (I think excluding 1981) had that lighter colored card stock, which was different from the regular release that year. I believe the Tiffany cards were the same card stock as the traded sets, but had a glossy front (and the gloss was very obvious, if you compare side to side).

The 1989 Tiffany cards were printed in Ireland (IIRC). If your cards say that; then those are the Tiffany cards.

Rich

(09-24-2011, 04:30 AM)richk Wrote: The 1989 Tiffany cards were printed in Ireland (IIRC). If your cards say that; then those are the Tiffany cards.

Rich
where do they actually say where they are printed?

None of my cards have anything but a copyright notice (and the sheet designator)

I'm fairly certain that mine aren't tiffanys

However, I did manage to come across a 1991 topps doug drabek with white border error card that is apparently extremely rare. go me Smile

Maybe it was on the box. But the Tiffany difference is obvious in 1989 --- I have not had a Tiffany in a long time so I can't tell at this moment