Mike Modano - Retires

RE: Mike Modano - Retires
This won't be popular but...
Mike, why now? Why not 3 years ago?
Latest Entry: The Hockey Dad Survival Guide
[Image: mainbanner100x500_zpse4955997.png]
http://blacknblueline.com

(09-22-2011, 02:38 AM)wickabee Wrote: This won't be popular but...
Mike, why now? Why not 3 years ago?
+1 I was thinking that same thing, especially when he decided to sign a one year deal with the Wings last year. Seemed like a dumb idea to me.
[Image: Signature.jpg]

PC's
Patrick Roy PC 966/7,265 = 13.30% Complete
Brandon Yip PC 101/183 = 55.19% Complete
Nick Palmieri 93/150 = 62.00% Complete

Unique Avs Cards = 1303
Unique Nordiques Cards = 1054

(09-22-2011, 08:55 AM)onoxxxregretso Wrote: +1 I was thinking that same thing, especially when he decided to sign a one year deal with the Wings last year. Seemed like a dumb idea to me.
If a team offered you millions of dollars to play alongside Lidstrom, Zetterberg & Datsyuk for 82 games, (plus playoffs), how do you say no to that? It'd be dumb to say no!

Still, I would've liked to see Modano spend his entire career with only 1 team, (North Stars/Dallas Stars), even if the location technically changed.

(09-22-2011, 09:40 AM)azicet Wrote: If a team offered you millions of dollars to play alongside Lidstrom, Zetterberg & Datsyuk for 82 games, (plus playoffs), how do you say no to that? It'd be dumb to say no!

Still, I would've liked to see Modano spend his entire career with only 1 team, (North Stars/Dallas Stars), even if the location technically changed.
Meh, it's still the same organization. Would you say Sakic played for 2 teams? Not really.

I do see your point, and it wasn't a "dumb" idea really. Markus Naslund did the same thing when he went to NYR.

I just don't like Modano is all, and I thought he should have retired a few years ago. Last season in Detroit, every tim I saw him he looked a step behind, out of place and, well, old.

(09-22-2011, 02:33 PM)wickabee Wrote: Meh, it's still the same organization. Would you say Sakic played for 2 teams? Not really.

I do see your point, and it wasn't a "dumb" idea really. Markus Naslund did the same thing when he went to NYR.

I just don't like Modano is all, and I thought he should have retired a few years ago. Last season in Detroit, every tim I saw him he looked a step behind, out of place and, well, old.
This is why I think it was dumb. He was scratched for a lot of games and it was embarrassing. It would have been better to call it a career after he wasn't re-signed by the Stars. When you played as many seasons as Modano, I don't think money would be an issue.

I understand he didn't want to retire, but I hate that he is going out after the poop year he had in Detroit last season. I like seeing guys go out on top like Bourque and Recchi did after winning the cup. I know the Stars didn't win the cup, but I think he had a better season in 09-10 than 10-11.

Also: The stars are signing him to a "one-day" contract worth $999,999 (his number, obviously) so he can officially retire as a member of the Dallas Stars which I think is a nice gesture.

PC's

Unique Avs Cards = 1303

I wish his last season was with Wild in Min where he started
using tracking numbers (all US and some Can)

(09-22-2011, 02:46 PM)onoxxxregretso Wrote: Also: The stars are signing him to a "one-day" contract worth $999,999 (his number, obviously) so he can officially retire as a member of the Dallas Stars which I think is a nice gesture.
I think it's actually a little arrogant for him to do that. It was one thing with Fleury retiring as a Flame just because of everything Theo did and went through and the fact he ended up playing for several other teams and was out of the game for awhile before the preseason he retired.

It's a very nice gesture from the team, but if he wanted to retire a Star, he should have.

(09-22-2011, 04:06 PM)wickabee Wrote: I think it's actually a little arrogant for him to do that. It was one thing with Fleury retiring as a Flame just because of everything Theo did and went through and the fact he ended up playing for several other teams and was out of the game for awhile before the preseason he retired.

It's a very nice gesture from the team, but if he wanted to retire a Star, he should have.
Why don't you like him? It's a pretty common arrangement for a star to return to his old team like that...I don't see the arrogance. It's not as if Dallas didn't offer him enough money so he bailed. I think they let go of him, didn't they?
LOGAN COUTURE | MARTIN ST. LOUIS | JEREMY ROENICK | JONATHAN TOEWS
Malkin | Iginla | Datsyuk | Kane | Larionov | Thornton | Fedorov
(Link) Gimme Your: 09-10 SP Authentic | 09-10 Ice | 07-08 O-Pee-Chee

(09-22-2011, 04:06 PM)wickabee Wrote: I think it's actually a little arrogant for him to do that. It was one thing with Fleury retiring as a Flame just because of everything Theo did and went through and the fact he ended up playing for several other teams and was out of the game for awhile before the preseason he retired.

I agree with you. I meant it was a nice gesture from the team. Modano should have retired last year, and I posted a series of tweets about it today and also mentioned here that it was dumb for him to sign with Detroit and play another year.

PC's

Unique Avs Cards = 1303

Just one to show.

[Image: 0607SweetShotMModanoStickSignings.jpg]