IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
How heavy does BV weigh into your trades

RE: How heavy does BV weigh into your trades
BV to many people is the trading standard Smile

Yup...BV is really the best way to go but is really nothing more than a guideline.
I do know lots of people dont trade autos for mem or mem for inserts etc.....
There are some situations when to be fair the BV's should actually be off a tad.
If you are trading up to a 100BV auto and arent giving atleast a 75BV card you should expect to give maybe 10 or 15 bucks over.
just IMO.

I trade (not so much on beckett) by book value.. Usually when I trade it's for something that I plan on keeping in the pc so I have no problem trading over or on occasion tossing in something extra as long as I'm not pulling anything from my pc section or trading down.

I don't go by book value. Since I don't trade cards from my Elway collection unless I have dupes I don't mind giving up more in book value to get the card I want. In today's economy only the rarest and most sought after cards tend to go for book value so I don't really see the point. An object is only worth what someone is willing to give or trade for it.
http://photobucket.com/johnelway

Always looking for Elway cards. Especially hard to find parallels and inserts from the '90s, i.e., any Leaf Mirror card or Donruss Elite parallel

I usually only go by bv or very close to it give or take a few bucks. If there is something I really want and I initiate the interest, I'll usually offer to trade in someones favor though. I just get irritated when someone comes to me with an offer and expects it to be in their favor.

I usually try to make trades of equal BV (or close to it). If the trade involves an AU and/or Mem card only on one side, I will ask for/give more than total BV. If I am trading down (ie. 1 high dollar card for a few lower valued cards), I will ask for more in BV. I will also trade the opposite way if I'm trading up. That seems to be the general consensus here, not just in this thread but for all of Beckett.
For an example, I traded an AU'd $80 BV card for several cards. The most valuable card I was getting was at $30 (2 different ones). I got $110 in BV for it, but I didn't ask for it, it was offered to me. Before that I traded a Dual AU $150 BV card for several cards, but I asked for more BV. The other trader agreed and traded me $180 BV and a 1/1 plate.

Now that I've typed all that -- I need to stop trading down so much! Wink
I can think of several more times I traded down, but can't think of one time that I've traded up! That's a bit odd.

Sometimes the book doesnt justify a players performance. So it just all depends.....

There are so many factors that come into play that to have only one source to determine value just seems a bit [insert negative adjective here] to me. If a card books at $60 but sells for only $10 and another card books for $25 and sells for $10 who can really make the argument the bv is the best choice?

Most go by bv as its the most convenient way to trade. Most people also claim that ebays prices arent consistent enough to use for value. All I know is I cant trade a $60 Stafford Auto for a $60 marino 90s insert if the Stafford costs $25 and the marino costs $10. BV may be the same but its true value isnt even close.

I also hate when you have a solid trade in place and you are $10-$20 b/v off (which is like $1-$5 actual cash off) and they decline the trade. What the heck is that about? Does the difference of $5 or less really matter that much? If it does at least say hey can you throw in a couple bucks to even this up? Ive missed out a some nice Marinos because of this.

Having said all this...There are a group of members here who arent petty and are usually willing to work with you. If I need Phins stuff and they dont like the Phins as long as they get something they like most folks dont care if b/v is off by $10 or so and neither do I.

Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

I just wanna say that Beckett should NEVER use eBay sell prices for their BV's. Anything you buy, in ANY medium, has a much higher listed value than it will sell for. Sooooooo many people forget that! Beckett has a great system set up, if you understand it. Too many people think that their $50 BV card will SELL for $45-$70 when it will actually sell for $20-$35. THAT is why trading is better than selling. If you trade for equal BV, each member is getting what they think the card is worth based on the value! A card (as with ANY other collectible) is ALWAYS VALUED higher than you can sell it for!!!
BTW, that wasn't posted against you Baker!!! PLZ remember that I sent you some set needs AND 'phins cards, just b/c you needed them! I didn't and haven't asked for a return. I really am curious now as to how close you are to completing those sets. Big Grin