`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
asking the vintage experts

RE: asking the vintage experts
(02-06-2012, 10:18 PM)coimbre 21 Wrote: Congrats on being nearly complete. I'm working my way out of regret (very slowly) for selling a set that was over 75% complete back in 1989. I was just out of college and needed to pay my electric and phone bills. I sold the near set for $250 and it included what I judged to be an EX Koufax (purchased for $5 at a card show in 1977), EX+ Ted Williams, and other mostly EX cards including Kaline, Banks, Killebrew, Mathews, Jackie Robinson, Duke Snider, and Aaron. If I'd had a Clemente, I would be really sick. Should have asked my parents for a loan.
Ouch! Hate hearing those stories.

I know I'm just about done but I can't remember what cards I'm missing. I know it's not many, MAYBE 5, all high number. I've got the big one from the set on the way and I picked up the Koufax a few years ago as an end of deployment gift to myself.

I'll be glad it's done. I started this thing back in '99 or something like that. I was somewhat getting turned onto vintage after discovering a vintage forum back then. Also back then, ebay had a pretty decent sports card forum where I purchased about half the set from one guy who posted on there, all in mid-grade condition. He had the set but decided to break it up and pursue the set in PSA 8 condition. I picked at the set here and there over the next few years and then went into the military in 2004 essentially removing me from the hobby altogether until 2009 after I got back from deployment. Knowing I still needed the Clemente was a killer but I finally bit the bullet and it's on the way, hopefully I'll have it before the weekend along with my other PC pickup that I'm pretty psyched about.
(02-07-2012, 08:11 AM)jtraven42 Wrote: I have the 55 Clemente, Williams and Aaron, so I'm considering working on a low end set too. But that would be 5th on my Vintage Set list.
(I pretty much only do Vintage these days)
Aaron. That card is killing me from this set. I know I purchased one about 10 years ago but for some reason, cannot find it. I know if I pick up a new one I'll find the other one but this is one of those 5 cards I still need now...........I think.
(02-07-2012, 01:30 PM)jtraven42 Wrote: I'm doing it passively, lol. But right now, 57, 58, 67 and 69 take priority since I've been working on them the longest and have the most done.
(but I'll still trade for 55's!)
I started the '58 set a few months back but haven't picked up anything since then. I've only got about 30 cards so far. The design isn't the hottest but I think they all look great when they are together. I also started the '72 set. I picked a couple of doozies!

Keep us posted when you pick up some stuff, we all love to see vintage regardless if it's superstar hot shot HOFer or Joe Schmuckatelli.

RE: asking the vintage experts
Nice deployment gift, I'm sure it is well-deserved.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos