`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need advice on a commonly asked question.

Need advice on a commonly asked question.
I have approximately 10,000+ commons, rc, inserts, and some parallels that I don't need. Now, about 1,000 of these are Pistons doubles that I don't need and I know someone that I've sold to before in MI and they gave me about $0.08 each card (it was $165 for 2000 cards). I'm going to try and sell him the Pistons so I can get a nice $80 bucks from it, might even drop it down some. But with the other 9,000 I want to get rid of them and get something out of it. I've seen responses of giving them to the local Boys and Girls club or Goodwill and get a Tax receipt, etc. Well I don't itemize my deductions so the Tax receipt wouldn't do me much justice. Ideally, I'd like to get even $200 out of it (while the BV is like $5,000) but wouldn't be upset at about $100 out of it. My goal in getting rid of them is not to get rich, but to clean my organize to only things I want to keep (sets, Pistons, Wings and Tigers) and use the money for other cards. Now, I could either use that money to get some Pistons cards that I need, get some Pistons cards I have graded, or get as many set fillers as possible. I'm leaning towards getting set fillers.

Anyways, my real question is 1) Does anyone know if any LCS would be willing to buy around 10,000 cards for even $100 (that's like $0.01 a card) or 2) do you think I could get $100+ from the bay even though I have NO reputation as a seller? Like I said, I'm not looking to get rich. Would just like the room and a clean start. I've traded probably all of the cards worth trading or will be doing so within the next month. And when I do start to bust wax again (going to stay away from retail from now on, even when I have an itch to scratch) I want the stuff to be newer products rather than having a bunch of stuff from 1989-today.

Another thing I was planning on doing was saving the money and putting it in the savings account to build interest until the 2013 NSCC where I plan to go crazy. Smile Trying to save about $5,000 for the show so I can show up with a binder of stuff I need and just start knocking them off. Anyways, would like some ideas. If you have a local LCS that might be interested in buying them, please let me know. Give me their info or give them mine. Thanks.
[Image: Xtreme2sec.gif]
3,850+ diff Pistons cards

RE: Need advice on a commonly asked question.
I think most card shops frown upon base cards in volume, but its not unheard of and may be worth a try if you have one near you. Also, I suggest that you itemize your taxes. In the past I didn't itemize either. The first year I did, I saw how much more I could get back of MY MONEY. Yes, I said my money, because tax returns are your money to begin with. Thats why its a return. If you don't itemize, you get the minimum. Just some friendly advise though, take it as you wish. Giving definitely pays off at the end of the year and the happiness those kids get when you give your cards to them is better than them sitting in a card shop for years.
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

There is always craigslist. You might find someone willing to give you $100 for 10,000 cards. Usually have better luck if your in a big town, but I would ask for more and then be willing to take an offer. You will probably still end up above your $100 limit.

Also, like quavis said, $5k would be a nice tax break and would probably increase your tax return by more than $100.
ebayID Brian60187 - Collecting PSA 10 RC's

http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/brianl...ll%20Trade

Well I don't itemize simply because a few people have told me that it's pointless unless you are paying on a house, paying on student loans, paying on medical bills and spend more than $50,000 a year. Well, I don't have a house and don't spend more than $50,000 a year. Smile Also, if there's a way to do it without all of those things, then I'll have to wait until next year because I definitely don't have all of my receipts from this year. Smile Thanks guys for the ideas.

(08-25-2011, 05:19 PM)briankort Wrote: There is always craigslist. You might find someone willing to give you $100 for 10,000 cards. Usually have better luck if your in a big town, but I would ask for more and then be willing to take an offer. You will probably still end up above your $100 limit.
I agree. Also, shipping will cost you a lot to send to someone who lives in a different city.
[Image: Banner_zpsdfc1db81.jpg]
PC Team: San Antonio Spurs
PC Players: David Robinson & Tim Duncan

Oh yes the house thing does make a difference you are right. Sorry for the assumption. And if you find the right tax guy, you dont need no stinkin receipts . lol. Just have to avoid a an audit. After 10 years, I have had no problem with not having receipts. Its the people getting more than they are supposed to that get red flagged.
[Image: f0oyns.jpg]

yeah, I'm hoping to be buying a house within the next 5 years so I will hopefully be itemizing soon. Just have to get my credit in order. Smile And I'm almost there. And have to decide if middle ga of where I want to spend the rest of my life.

Jason, there is a guy that advertises in the Beckett Mag, that fills want lists for collectors, and stuff, Ill pm you his site addy, maybe he can help out with your collection.
the bucket
http://postimage.org/Shez

WANTED:
2006 FLAIR SHOWCASE SIGNATURES #/35

(08-25-2011, 04:55 PM)xstreaminsanity Wrote: I have approximately 10,000+ commons, rc, inserts, and some parallels that I don't need. Now, about 1,000 of these are Pistons doubles that I don't need and I know someone that I've sold to before in MI and they gave me about $0.08 each card (it was $165 for 2000 cards). I'm going to try and sell him the Pistons so I can get a nice $80 bucks from it, might even drop it down some. But with the other 9,000 I want to get rid of them and get something out of it. I've seen responses of giving them to the local Boys and Girls club or Goodwill and get a Tax receipt, etc. Well I don't itemize my deductions so the Tax receipt wouldn't do me much justice. Ideally, I'd like to get even $200 out of it (while the BV is like $5,000) but wouldn't be upset at about $100 out of it. My goal in getting rid of them is not to get rich, but to clean my organize to only things I want to keep (sets, Pistons, Wings and Tigers) and use the money for other cards. Now, I could either use that money to get some Pistons cards that I need, get some Pistons cards I have graded, or get as many set fillers as possible. I'm leaning towards getting set fillers.

Anyways, my real question is 1) Does anyone know if any LCS would be willing to buy around 10,000 cards for even $100 (that's like $0.01 a card) or 2) do you think I could get $100+ from the bay even though I have NO reputation as a seller? Like I said, I'm not looking to get rich. Would just like the room and a clean start. I've traded probably all of the cards worth trading or will be doing so within the next month. And when I do start to bust wax again (going to stay away from retail from now on, even when I have an itch to scratch) I want the stuff to be newer products rather than having a bunch of stuff from 1989-today.

Another thing I was planning on doing was saving the money and putting it in the savings account to build interest until the 2013 NSCC where I plan to go crazy. Smile Trying to save about $5,000 for the show so I can show up with a binder of stuff I need and just start knocking them off. Anyways, would like some ideas. If you have a local LCS that might be interested in buying them, please let me know. Give me their info or give them mine. Thanks.
when you say uve sold to "MI" before what does MI mean?

pretty sure that stands for "Michigan".
I collect Michael Jordan, Mitch Richmond, and Ohio State players (football and basketball) in OSU gear. I strongly prefer 90's-era cards and use newer cards primarily for trade bait!

[Image: buckunteer_edited-2-1.gif]