`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to invest in?

What to invest in?
Who's the player, or whats the card that you would say is a good investment right now?

RE: What to invest in?
No cards are good investments....Now Pujols is probably gonna hold his value for a long time...If your lookin to invest I would say go with silver and gold.

Growth Stock Mutual Funds for investments (return avg of 12% per year.) Baseball cards for losing your butt money wise, but also enjoying. Yay! Sorry, but I just don't see cards as a viable investment.
Currently Collecting:
Baseball HOFers: Autos, Vintage and Rookies
Dallas Cowboys: Autos and Vintage

If we knew the answer to this, none of us would need to work...and frankly if I knew, I wouldn't tell everyone about it.

But the above posts were pretty much right on. Cards and other collectibles (with the exception of a very, very few limited examples surely out of most of our price ranges) are not good investments. Stocks, bonds, precious metals, mutual funds, real estate - those are investments. Collectibles are...well...collectibles.

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

Really...I'm sure there are some cards worth it. For example, Dereke Jeter 1993 upper deck SP is a great investment. Especially if you can find a 9.5 or 10 graded.

+1.

Collectibles are not an investment.

LOL...If the ecconomy gets much worse we will all just be CardBoard Kings. Things are only worth what another person will give you.

And you are right...that card will hold value more than most...I also said Pujols in my earlier post... But in the long run don't buy cards as a retirement plan....

(08-17-2011, 09:42 AM)fishtaco02 Wrote: Really...I'm sure there are some cards worth it. For example, Dereke Jeter 1993 upper deck SP is a great investment. Especially if you can find a 9.5 or 10 graded.
Why do you say that?

To determine if something is a good investment, you need to consider how much can you buy it for now, how much you expect you can sell it for later, and how long you have to hold it in order to realize that amount.

Looks like they sell for about $60-90 raw right now...$200+ for 9's.

Frankly, although I'm sure the price will rise slightly when he retires, and again when he makes the HOF, I can't see those numbers doubling in the next 7-10 years.
(08-17-2011, 09:46 AM)JASCards Wrote: And you are right...that card will hold value more than most...I also said Pujols in my earlier post... But in the long run don't buy cards as a retirement plan....
That's a good point you bring up...there's a major difference in 'holding value' (which is really about the best you can expect from a collectible of any sort) vs. being an 'investment' (rising in value above the rate of inflation).

If you wanted to know what cards will hold their value, I'd agree...stick to Jeter, Pujols, HOFers, etc. But unless you're willing to shell out the dough for an authentic Honus Wagner or Mickey Mantle rookie (or upside down airplane on a stamp), you won't get investment value out of cards, stamps, figurines, etc.

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

You guys are kidding right?

Cards can be great investments if u know who to buy and when to sell.

Prospects from bowman chrome products are the first place to look. Baseball america is the second place you have to check out.

if not, look at under priced veterans who might not be flying under the radar next year. Adrian gonzales was a perfect example of this last year.

Look at guys the hobby has not caught on to...yet. Derek holland is a good place to start, especially his autos.

Avoid mega stars like pujols, jeter, a rod, lincy unless u plan to hold them for years.

(08-17-2011, 11:04 AM)011873 Wrote: You guys are kidding right?

Cards can be great investments if u know who to buy and when to sell.

Prospects from bowman chrome products are the first place to look. Baseball america is the second place you have to check out.

if not, look at under priced veterans who might not be flying under the radar next year. Adrian gonzales was a perfect example of this last year.

Look at guys the hobby has not caught on to...yet. Derek holland is a good place to start, especially his autos.

Avoid mega stars like pujols, jeter, a rod, lincy unless u plan to hold them for years.
Yes, but an investment is something you hold, not something you look to buy and sell on a hot streak. That's called day trading.Smile
Dave J.

Collecting current and former Georgia Tech sports stars, Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Ken Griffey Jr., and Albert Pujols