`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Getting that bored feeling.

Getting that bored feeling.
I don't know why but i'm getting that bored feeling like I got the last time I took a 10yr break. I like collecting but sometimes I look at all the cards I have and just think i'm wasting money. Doesn't help to have a wife who looks at them as just cardboard photos. She doesn't understand why they have a dollar value because nobody will pay you that price for them. I don't know what to do. I'm spending close to 120wk on cards. Sometimes I just wanna sell everything I have.Anyone feel this way sometimes?

[Image: ge_zpse4f470b2.jpg]
Wanted: Indians, Cavs, Rookies, Inserts,Lebron and Kyrie.

RE: Getting that bored feeling.
Oh yeah, I know that feeling. Wife is the same way, however, she does enjoy busting some packs every now and then. When I start to feel that way, I usually take a 2-3 month break, then I start to get that "itch" again, and Im good to go.
[Image: WillTheThrillSig.jpg]

I feel that exact way sometimes...Its hard to justify to someone else the amount of money spent and the time involved..Sometimes you sit back and go there is so much more I could do with my time and cash. I say just go with your gut if its telling you that you should sell then do so. If its telling you to just take a long break then do that as well. Dont make the decision based on other people just do what you want to do...Sometimes I will look at my cards and think I havnt even looked at them in awhile and yet im buying more it does seem silly on occasion..
[Image: jonathancard.png]

We should have a ship. I am in the same boat and I bet there are hundreds of us feeling that way. I almost took my 40,000 cards to my LCS to be put on the bay and the day of the loading I changed my mind. Why, heck I am not sure. I do know that as most wives if it is not made of cotton or silk and you can wear it, then it is stupid. My wife thinks spending 2-3 hundred on a box is just stupid but she indulges me.
I have spent a lot of time on my collection and even my LCS is impressed with it, not only because of what I have but every card is in an excel spread sheet format and I can fin out if I have something in seconds. Finding the actual card takes a little longer. My point is I have so much time and love in my cards that it makes no sense to get rid of them on impulse. Every card has some form of protection such as a hard case, sleeve, or something to prevent bending. Why? I did that at the time I opened the pack, and if I did that then I must have enjoyed my card then so I needed to look back at that thought when I wanted to get rid of them.
Sometimes we see how much we have spent on cards and say that is a mortgage payment or even two yearly. I really think it keeps (collecting) keeps a lot of us grounded. We become homebodies with our cards hence we do not live at the bar and we do not put ourselves in situations that may compromise our marriage. Our wives should be grateful for that since our hobby keeps us home most of the time.
True it is cardboard but then it is just a car or is it. When I reached the point of getting rid of my cards I knew I needed to do something. I now display some of my higher end HOF and rookie auto’s (completely out of sunlight, direct florescent lights and with a UV protective glass cover). The enjoyment is back. Some of the autos I forgot I had, and I even forgot to the extent of how many HOF auto’s I had. I change out my display every 3 or 4 months to keep things fresh. My 9,944 rookies and 3,529 autographs have gotten a new lease on display. They are not just cardboard, their part of history in a very nice small package.
Will always be looking for 2012 or 2013 Panini Cooperstown Signatures for the two sets I'm building-Will trade in your favor--will ship first--Thanks

Good point. What the sad part is the only time i see the cards is when i'm busting packs. I can't recall a time when I grabbed a binder and just looked through them. Take my manny ramirez collection. I keep wanting more and i will see the ones that come in on trades and then thats it. I opened the binder today and flipped through hundreds of pages. I couldn't believe some of the cards. Maybe my mind would change If i actually looked at them instead of just placing them in binders and putting them away.

(08-06-2011, 12:58 PM)happy14027 Wrote: We should have a ship. I am in the same boat and I bet there are hundreds of us feeling that way. I almost took my 40,000 cards to my LCS to be put on the bay and the day of the loading I changed my mind. Why, heck I am not sure. I do know that as most wives if it is not made of cotton or silk and you can wear it, then it is stupid. My wife thinks spending 2-3 hundred on a box is just stupid but she indulges me.
I have spent a lot of time on my collection and even my LCS is impressed with it, not only because of what I have but every card is in an excel spread sheet format and I can fin out if I have something in seconds. Finding the actual card takes a little longer. My point is I have so much time and love in my cards that it makes no sense to get rid of them on impulse. Every card has some form of protection such as a hard case, sleeve, or something to prevent bending. Why? I did that at the time I opened the pack, and if I did that then I must have enjoyed my card then so I needed to look back at that thought when I wanted to get rid of them.
Sometimes we see how much we have spent on cards and say that is a mortgage payment or even two yearly. I really think it keeps (collecting) keeps a lot of us grounded. We become homebodies with our cards hence we do not live at the bar and we do not put ourselves in situations that may compromise our marriage. Our wives should be grateful for that since our hobby keeps us home most of the time.
True it is cardboard but then it is just a car or is it. When I reached the point of getting rid of my cards I knew I needed to do something. I now display some of my higher end HOF and rookie auto’s (completely out of sunlight, direct florescent lights and with a UV protective glass cover). The enjoyment is back. Some of the autos I forgot I had, and I even forgot to the extent of how many HOF auto’s I had. I change out my display every 3 or 4 months to keep things fresh. My 9,944 rookies and 3,529 autographs have gotten a new lease on display. They are not just cardboard, their part of history in a very nice small package.
[Image: ge_zpse4f470b2.jpg]
Wanted: Indians, Cavs, Rookies, Inserts,Lebron and Kyrie.

I had that feeling years ago which is why I stopped collecting after 2002. I needed a challenge to keep my interest, so I did the 2002 Fleer Classic Cuts Master Set. Sold it, then just focused on unreleased cards as I had to do my homework. . That kept my interest. Now, I only collect Fred Williamson and rarer unreleased cards. It's been that way since 2002 and will always be that way.
[Image: fredwilliamson.jpg]