`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
OT: Learning sign language (in relation to sports)

OT: Learning sign language (in relation to sports)
I decided to pick up sign language. Mostly because i already talk with my hands quite a bit, and figured it might as mean something

but no, seriously, im picking it up so that i can help the hearing impaired enjoy sports more, an idea of kind of had for a while. In Boston, as sports crazy as it is, should be ripe grounds (maybe help out with Fenway tours, that kind of thing)

Im completely a neophyte to ASL, save for two weeks when i dated a deaf girl in college, so my vocabulary is very limited, and most of it cant be spoken of here (fun two weeks, and bad break up. though im now very familiar with the sign for "bastard")

so i just getting some general stuff in. some sign language for sports is really quite literal. "Baksetball" (the sport) is literally dribble dribble shoot. logical. "soccer" looks more like "paper football", but still, it makes sense. I figured "baseball" would either be a swinging bat, or the gyrations of a thirdbase coach trying to give a signal for a suicide squeeze. Sure enough, it's a swing of a bat (though it looks like a check swing, and youre choked up on the bat. i would favor more of a fred mcgriff swing, but hey, im not making the rules)

"what is the score?" looks vaguely threatening, and could be mistaken for a Four Corner Hustlers gang sign. So i figure i probably shouldnt practice sign language in areas known for gang activity. could be an issue

(im not kidding about it looking threatening. wish i could link this directly, but go to http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/phrases.cgi in the first menu click on sports, and under phrases, at the end, click on "what is the score".)

anyone on the boards know sign language? any pointers on how to get started (besides picking random words an learning it)

RE: OT: Learning sign language (in relation to sports)
aslpro.com is a good place to start. buy a dictionary and enroll in classes

As someone who has been immersed in ASL and the Deaf Community for the last 16 years, the best way to learn is to take a class or two and get involved within the Deaf Community. Pick up a couple of books on Deaf Culture (I recommend "For Hearing People Only"...very heavy stuff...read chapter 12 or whatever the longest chapter in the book is and you will never call a Deaf Person "hearing impaired" ever again).

Sorry to hear about your relationship breaking off after two weeks. My wife is hard of hearing and I took up sign language to communicate with her. I was lucky. Depending on your teachers, if you tell them that you're in the class for reasons than other than being an interpreter or having a Deaf person in the family, the teachers will be more readily interested in helping you through class.

Over the years, there have been a couple of Deaf baseball card collectors that hung around this board before the mass exodus...I don't know if they are still around though.

If you need any help, feel free to e-mail me. I'd be more than happy to help someone just starting to learn ASL.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama
Beckett Member 6881
bdj610's Topps Baseball Card Blog
Sports Card Blogroll

I dated a deaf/mute girl a long time ago, great kisser!
[Image: WillTheThrillSig.jpg]

Between you and Cheetos, this has been a hilarious thread (in terms of jokes not the whole sign language and deaf thing)...

I applaud you for wanting to learn sign language. I don't know sign language well, but I work with special ed kids and I've met several deaf ones, and they've taught me several terms pretty easily. It's not a piece of cake, but I'd say it's easier than learning Spanish/French/Inserthighschoollanguageclasshere. Good luck!
[Image: KingsSig2.jpg]
Looking for Lincecum, Wilson, Greenberg, Donte Greene, Kings and Giants

my step son is deaf. i find i learn more from him then any book or any class i've taken. not to say a class wouldn't be beneficial because it will be, but to really get a feel for how a deaf person communicates i find it easiest to actually deal directly with them. don't know how much of an option that is for you but try it if you can. i have an asl dictionary also which has come in handy on numerous occasions which i would say pick one up for sure. really it is what you want it to be. you'll pick up a ton of things fast if you just dive in. good luck and also if i can help any please feel free to message me or email me direct at rfogle17@gmail.com
PC Collections Josh Morgan, Tim Tebow, Brock Marion and Derek Anderson

My Mom, is audiologist when I talk to her again I will send you a PM with what she suggest.
Main Players: Derek Jeter, Mike Sweeney, Brett Hull, Jordan Binnington, Brendan Gallagher, Jaden Schwartz and Leon Draisaitl
Sets: Allen & Ginter mini, 2018 Archives, 2019 Heritage, 2019-20 OPC/Upper Deck Series 1 & 2 Hockey and 1956 Topps Baseball

hey, thanks for all the responses. i really appreciate it. im starting to learn words, but it's kind of funny: the hard part for me of learning any language - spanish, german - is listening to it and understanding it. usually too fast. im having the same issue with sign language. i can sign, but reading the signs is really tough. individuals words is fine, but it's sentences and phrases....it gets a little baffling. i think i might need to learn "can you slow down?"

Best of luck to you Smile
[Image: WillTheThrillSig.jpg]