`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allen & Ginter DNA Cards

Allen & Ginter DNA Cards
Can someone explain how do they get the hairs for these people? George Washington? Beetoven? Someone has their hair somewhere?
doesnt make sense to me.Trying to learn and understand.

thanks

RE: Allen & Ginter DNA Cards
"hair collections" back in ye old golden days was actually really popular.

I've read a theory that the hair is not from the acutal person represented on the card, but from a relative. So technically the DNA is correct, but not directly from the dead person. So it could be Shakespear's great great great great great great (however many should be in here) grand daughters hair as they would both share some of the same DNA.

Again this is a theory that I read kicked around, but nothing has been officially released that this is what they do. Would still be very happy to have one though.

(07-07-2011, 10:59 AM)iujapander Wrote: I've read a theory that the hair is not from the acutal person represented on the card, but from a relative. So technically the DNA is correct, but not directly from the dead person. So it could be Shakespear's great great great great great great (however many should be in here) grand daughters hair as they would both share some of the same DNA.

Again this is a theory that I read kicked around, but nothing has been officially released that this is what they do. Would still be very happy to have one though.
the dna wouldnt be the same, only similar

Every now and again, you see locks of hair come up at auctions. It's kind of rare, but people have indeed saved them... kind of like our current version of a game-worn jersey card, back in the day people used to keep little locks of hair of their celebrities: kings, actors, presidents, etc.
*Please note that in all of my future trades, I will require extra time to ship. I have no adequate transportation to a post office. If you don't want to wait, please do not trade with me.*

(07-07-2011, 10:59 AM)iujapander Wrote: I've read a theory that the hair is not from the acutal person represented on the card, but from a relative. So technically the DNA is correct, but not directly from the dead person. So it could be Shakespear's great great great great great great (however many should be in here) grand daughters hair as they would both share some of the same DNA.

I've heard that rumor as well.

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

Years and years ago, people payed good money for locks of hairs from famous people such as past presidents, millitia, etc. Ha i made a comment on a post not tolong ago saying that i wouldnt be surprised if the next generation of cards contained DNA samples of sports figures or like a fingernail.
Looking to complete the 2013 Archives Mets fan favorite Au's (Just need Ron Darling) and 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen set mini base + SPs. Also working on 2015 Topps Chrome and updates. Please note that if you have less than 15 trades, I ask that you send first.

Actually, if the hair doesn't have the root bulb, which I highly doubt they do because of age and assumed storage conditions, only mitochrondrial DNA can be recovered (and that's not even a guarantee). Mitochrondrial DNA will be the same throughout the maternal line so you could have it tested and have the person depicted ruled out, but you could not 100% rule them in. You could only say it's possible it belong to the person. It was my understanding that the hairs were from the actual person and they guaranteed it but I could be wrong. Makes you wonder how they got the Wooly Mammoth DNA hair card.

(07-07-2011, 06:19 PM)bestdeals121483 Wrote: Makes you wonder how they got the Wooly Mammoth DNA hair card.

That's an easy one. They've found frozen, more or less intact, Wooly Mammoths. They're not nearly as old as what are normally considered dinosaurs.

it was not from the wooly mammoth it was from my mother inlaw.lol just joking dont tell me wife i said that.
[Image: griffeyjr.jpg]