`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which vintage set to start to collect?

RE: Which vintage set to start to collect?
You biggest problem will be vintage graded PSA 8 or better. The PSA Set Registry nuts will pay big bucks for these high grade commons. Ive seen $15 commons sell for $500+ because of low population numbers in high grades. Your $5-6k number isnt even close to what you will spend. If your dead set on doing this I would start looking a smaller sets like 55 Bowman with only 320 cards.
[Image: Pinstripe2.jpg]
I need 2007 & 2008 Topps Sterling Base Cards #/250
My Bucket

(07-06-2011, 02:18 PM)TM Sportscards Wrote: I'd go with 1965 or 1966. These sets straddle two eras where you'll get the stars of the 50's like Mantle, Mays, Clemente, Aaron, Maris, Banks, Koufax, etc... along with the next batch of 60s/70s stars like Rose, Marichal, McCovey, Cepeda, Perez, Morgan, Stargell, Yaz, +++. They've got complete stats on the back, brighter photos than the duller 1960-64 sets, and most stars or good rookies can be had for less than $100.
Interesting point here. I really like the range of players and RCs to collect with the 1965 set. There are also 4 different Mantles to pick up as well.

I think we might have a winner.
Completing the following:

2010 Topps Chrome X-Fractors (142/220 - 64.5%)
2010 Bowman Platinum Refractors (60/100 - 60%)
2011 Topps Diamond (444/660 - 67.3%)

Finished 2011 Sets: Topps Series 1 Master, Heritage Master, Heritage Chrome, Gypsy Queen Framed Green, Gypsy Queen Minis, Heritage Black

Been working on 1964 set for almost 3 years (57 set 12 years and 56 set 8 years), buying raw copies that grade out 5 or better. I only grade the premium cards.
When deciding on a set to build here is my list:
1. I like the design of the card
2. There are not too many super premium star cards
I also value good color and good corners over centering - as long as centering not worse that 75-25 - especially on the high dollar starts. Ill gladly save 25% for an off-center card with good surface.

It is reasonably easy to find bulk lots of commons at about $1-$2 a card, but realize that 50% or better of the group will not meet your grading criteria, so you end up with some as filler, which if you put the cards in sheets as you build it is easy to see which cards need upgrading - this is part of the length in assembling the set.

I typically go after the star cards and semi-starts one at a time - ie - I will have a dozen or so Aarons on my watch list, sometimes I will hit a quality but-it now - end up paying a bit more, but it gets off my list.

Wanted to build the '63 set, but could not find enough cards in good quality - lots of miss cuts.

Most of all enjoy - I would not put a time limit on it, just because life does not always allow time for the hobbies.