`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Scammers Reach New Low - Fake Relics Inserted into Low Print Run Cards

RE: Scammers Reach New Low - Fake Relics Inserted into Low Print Run Cards
(06-13-2013, 04:12 PM)tin8shusd Wrote: I'm not trying to be dense, but when looking at this from a larger perspective, what's the point in removing the original relic if the card is necessary for verifying its authenticity? Do people actually get off on owning relics they can't essentially prove to be real? Again, if I'm missing something obvious please let me know...

You're question is at the heart of what stunned me. The scammers are replacing simple and original uniform swatches and bat pieces with more elaborate and bogus letter, number, or logo swatches that fetch higher prices from unsuspecting buyers. There's a good case highlighting this on YouTube concerning a Babe Ruth swatch where the fake one realized $700 more than it had originally as a simple Babe Ruth swatch. In some cases bat relics are being removed for the elaborate swatches, again with the intent of realizing a higher price. These original bat cards with uniform swatches may be a bit easier to spot through Beckett OPG but Worthpoint is a great resource all around, even without a subscription. What these card doctors do with the removed original swatches and relics is anyone's guess.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scammers Reach New Low - Fake Relics Inserted into Low Print Run Cards - by coimbre 21 - 06-13-2013, 04:34 PM