`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1948 Leaf Babe Ruth...Should I get it graded?

RE: 1948 Leaf Babe Ruth...Should I get it graded?
(11-01-2012, 11:14 AM)MRHARPER Wrote: Yeah it would take a hefty offer to get it from me, especially once it gets graded. I know PSA has had its trouble with its credibility in recent months, but it also seems that its still the preffered grading service as far as vintage cards. I do agree that the SGC slabs look better, and in terms of the card itself being graded by either it seems like there is no difference in value of the card. The only major difference I saw was the price of sending it in to PSA was a little higher than sending it to SGC.

These are the two that I recommend you decide between and, if it's for your PC, then you've already hit on the two things that I think should dictate your decision. One of course being the cost to you and the second being how the card presents to you in the holder.

Both PSA and SGC are the two grading companies well associated with vintage cards, though SGC does tend to be more known for pre-war. I don't know if it matters or not but I don't think it would hurt to check the population reports of the three main grading companies to see how many of this card they have graded in the past. My own belief is that the more they have graded, the more experience they likely have with the card issue and can potentially have a more accurate grade as well as authentication.

I tried to look them all up but SGC's population report wasn't working at the time I typed this out though this may be because they are in the process of moving to another facility. PSA has graded the Ruth 770 times and BVG has graded it 100 times. Obviously there will be instances of the same card being graded multiple times so I wouldn't use these numbers as precise figures.

In any event, keep us informed of your decision and how it comes back!

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1948 Leaf Babe Ruth...Should I get it graded? - by ricelynnevans75 - 11-02-2012, 07:07 AM