`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoping to open up shop in next couple months

RE: Hoping to open up shop in next couple months
(06-23-2012, 09:44 PM)northflacards Wrote: It would not be my only job I would go straight from ups to the store, as I work early mornings so it would not be only source of my income.

This is why it will fail. You absolutely cannot go into this type of venture thinking it will be a secondary priority behind another job. In order to make it successful you must be willing to make it your life, an average 12-14 hours per day of managing inventory, funds, bills, upkeep, and all that's in addition to having doors open and handling customer needs. You have to be open as much as possible to cater to consumer's hours and not expect them to match yours. Some people get off work at 5 while others have Wednesdays off. Others can only run errands on a Sunday morning after early mass. Nothing turns buyers off faster than being unable to enter a business in the first place.

I'll give you a perfect example that mirrors you. Seattle had a longtime dealer who ran a shop called Brown's Cooperstown who eventually decided to retire and sold what was a successful business with a large consumer base. The new owner believed that he could continue to maintain that level of profit while devoting limited hours so he could teach school and run his Sportlots account. The store was open during the afternoons only on most weekdays and closed by 5 pm. It was also closed Sundays through Tuesdays. It was closed forever within a year, the only shop within the city limits of the 13th largest market in the country. A shop with nearly 30 years of history behind it was gone in a year's time because an owner ran it like an afterthought.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hoping to open up shop in next couple months - by pacrimcollectibles - 06-24-2012, 11:43 AM