`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Old School box break downer...

Old School box break downer...
I just plunked down $100 for a hobby box of 1995 Bowman. This product came out before I was even in 8th grade, and I remember how hard it was to come by back then.
I remember the foil subset cards looked amazing- especially the gold foil chase cards (lame how 'chase' was replaced with 'hit' in modern lingo) and a few key rookies (Vlady/Rolen/Jones/Carpenter).
Having just come off a good 2010 hobby tear, and not yet ready for 2011 (c'mon Heritage), I figured the timing was right to open some old gems.
The first thing I thought of before opening my box was that there's a good chance that these cards will stick together...I guess when there's no gum to cause stains, this is a very real 'number two' foe for collectors. Whatever, I just wanted to try and land a Vlady rc the ole' fashion way.
NOPE! No Vlady's for me...no Rolen, no Carpenter (a home state hero), no Jeter or Nomo foils...the proverbial 'icing on the cake' was landing doubles of Andruw Jones and Bobby Abreu (the Abreu has surface rolling marks!).
That was a bad $100 drop. Oh, and no Garciaparra either. I should have paid $50 extra to get the 1992 Bowman box instead. http://www.beckett.com/forums/images/smilies/dodgy.gif
I'm sure I'd feel better if I dropped $50-65, but I won't dwell in the past. Any similar stories?

Messages In This Thread
Old School box break downer... - by marcmapex - 02-21-2011, 02:13 PM
RE: Old School box break downer... - by cweiland - 02-24-2011, 11:05 AM
RE: Old School box break downer... - by marcmapex - 09-05-2011, 04:02 PM
RE: Old School box break downer... - by jmc316 - 09-07-2011, 11:30 AM