`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 Years Later...where did they go?

RE: 8 Years Later...where did they go?
I think a big part of it is that the hobby, and technology, has changed dramatically in that timeframe.  I left here in about 2014 for the most part due to getting burnt out from the hobby as well as other things going on in life.

From when I was active on here primarily from 2009-2014, the place was hopping and there was always a trade to be done.  A few other boards/forums I was on were the same way.  I feel like a big part of trading when I first got on dealt with a lot of set, team, and player collectors and over time, that seemed to fade away and turn more into chasing the hot prospects and getting the hot card at the moment.  There was a period of time that I recall all it seemed some people wanted were autographed cards or colored refractors in return for whatever I was hoping to trade for.  I really have no idea what it was like around here after 2014 up until about a year and a half ago.

I don't remember when Beckett started charging for use of the ORG.  Maybe it always did?  I don't remember.  I do remember a fair amount of people being upset at having to pay for something on here and I can't imagine they were upset about having to pay for the price guide so I'm guessing it was the ORG.  The ORG is a great and useful tool but ultimately it's not really a necessity.  I'm sure that drove people away, especially those that were not on here every other day doing trades and whatnot.  

Additionally, as technology grew, so did access to other venues that included information, set checklists, prices/values, and the ability to buy/sell/trade without having to pay to do so.  That, and it seems as each and every day passes, people want their cards and deals done yesterday. My opinion is that there are less people today willing to sit down for a period of time, catalog their cards into the ORG, and go through the process of working out a trade through the trade system as there were 8 years ago.  People want to go online, find their card, and buy it.  Or hop onto some social media group and immediately work out a deal through their messenger system which is typically instantaneous.   

The majority of forums that I used to frequent seem to be very far down in posts from what they once were, this one especially.  It seems like people don't want to just talk about cards, whatever sport, or the hobby anymore.  Maybe forums are becoming a dinosaur in the hobby?  Again, I'd chalk that up to the technology and the instant interactions that people can have elsewhere.  

Anyway, just my rambling two cents.  I think the above are some factors and of course you've got to add on people just leaving the hobby altogether for whatever reason.  I am curious to know whatever became of radarblip aka Mel.  He was a great trader and all around great person.  I know he had some medical issues over the years.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 8 Years Later...where did they go? - by djohn - 03-22-2021, 10:52 PM
RE: 8 Years Later...where did they go? - by djohn - 03-23-2021, 08:34 AM
RE: 8 Years Later...where did they go? - by djohn - 03-23-2021, 08:33 AM
RE: 8 Years Later...where did they go? - by djohn - 03-23-2021, 10:21 AM
RE: 8 Years Later...where did they go? - by ricelynnevans75 - 03-24-2021, 09:56 AM