`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A quick discussion on morality in the hobby...I'm prepared for the burn!

RE: A quick discussion on morality in the hobby...I'm prepared for the burn!
kerryandbeth Wrote:The key is...wait for it..."Collector".  You keep using the word, and that is what makes it a hobby.  Hoarding to sell is not a hobby in any sense of the word, and definitely not deserving any respect on this site!

And this is where a fundamentally disagree. I think there's space for everyone.

Here's my background since I don't post much even though I've been a member here for a long time. I belong to several message boards, a few Facebook groups, 3 Discord channels, and am actively learning Instagram. I buy (and sell) on several sites and platforms and consume a lot of podcasts and YouTube content. I'll buy retail boxes, hobby boxes, and singles or graded cards. Some content is heavy with collectors, some is heavy with investors, some is vintage only, some is modern centric, it's all sports cards.

I've collected since 1980 or 1981. My first packs were 1980-81 Topps hockey (just missed Gretzky's rookie card). My first completed set was 1984 Donruss baseball (since split up and most singles traded - the Mattingly got bent holding the box open). My heart is in putting together big sets and I (somewhat religiously) put together OPC hockey each year. It's the most boring product in the most under-collected sport, so I usually find something else to open and trade to obtain RCs or other cards I want or want to hold. I've tried prospecting - not into it. I've chased autos - not into it. I've put together some memorabilia sets - not into it. I tried a player collection - not into it. I tried team collecting - not into it. I like my sets and my RCs and (what I'm sad to say is becoming) my 'vintage' sets from when I was starting out (I finally put together the 80-81 Topps hockey set from packs a few years ago).

I know guys who hoard players, guys who hoard wax, guys who collect teams, player super-collectors, whatever. I know guys who flip, guys who invest, guys who only buy retail, guys who won't ebay, whatever. None of it affects what I enjoy and, I assume, they are enjoying themselves too. This hobby is big enough for everyone to find their niche and enjoy what they want. We, as collectors, should understand that we aren't entitled to anything and, if you do want something that's out of reach, make it happen. Become part of the solution. Find a way.
Current Project #1 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Base Set (520/600)
Current Project #2 - 2022-23 O-Pee-Chee Playing Card Set (49/54)

Current Most Wanted - 1991-92 Upper Deck #587 Nicklas Lidstrom YG PSA 10 Incoming

Messages In This Thread
RE: A quick discussion on morality in the hobby...I'm prepared for the burn! - by fred bear - 08-07-2020, 10:07 AM