`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Physical Risk aside, would you confront a shill bidder?

Physical Risk aside, would you confront a shill bidder?
I have the realistic opportunity to confront a shill seller from an ebay auction in person. My friend and I did some recon after I smelled a rat and realized this 1 feedback bidder had 100% activity with the same guy on 300 bids.

I'm not one to be a trouble maker, I'm very passive in real life, so the idea of getting my butt stomped is unappealing if this guy's bigger than me. That said, so often us as card collectors/buyers are posting threads on message boards complaining about dishonest sellers doing this. In my case the guy is selling cards on Ebay 50 minutes from my door step. So the idea of starting something with him just via Ebay's buyer protection has me uncomfortable as he can find me no problem. I've paid for the auction and am going to take my lumps of him shilling it $11 over. I mean really, the $11 isn't breaking me, but the principal is what annoys me. Let me also clear the air of when I do get the card, and the envelope has his name/address, I would never by ANY means use that information for ANY illegal activity. At all. (again I'm a big wuss)

Well my bud has taken it a step outside Ebay, which I can't stop a grown man from doing what he wants, and has contacted the guy asking about making an "off E-Bay deal" and if the guy visits a card shop in the seller's hometown. As it stands my friend is friends with the owner of the shop and used that as a reference point, "if you do visit there you can check with him on my reliability."

The seller contacted him back VERY interested in a rendezvous and selling off E-Bay. He frequents the shop and gave his first name. My friend wrote back again and they are arranging stuff.

So the possibility is there that one could confront a shill bidder in person sorta like Chris Hanson on "To Catch a Predator." So many of you have had the unlucky experience of having to deal with one and I've read the anger it's caused you. In a similar situation, what would you do?

EDIT: My friend is stopping contact with the guy. He doesn't want to "bust" one of his friend's biggest customers, even if he's a competing card seller using underhanded tactics. Looks like I'm sticking to official legal means of handling it whether I want to or not now Tongue

Still would love to pick everyone's brains on the subject.
Seeking 2007 National Treasures Drew Brees Laundry Tag cards #'d to 10.
Trade/Buy for: Saints and Frank Thomas

Hobby instagram

Messages In This Thread
Physical Risk aside, would you confront a shill bidder? - by y2hood - 03-19-2012, 10:12 AM