IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.27 Average
The official "football cards that are currently missing from the online Beckett

jaderock Wrote:
nittany13 Wrote:1998 Playoff Contenders 1/1 Proof Sets
These are 1 of 1 serial numbered cards that I believe were distributed at that year's national card show convention. I have only seen versions of these for the Playoff Contenders brand, but that doesn't mean that similar Proof sets exist for other Playoff brands coming out that year (I doubt it though). I am not sure that every main and insert set for the 1998 Playoff Contenders had a Proof Set version, although I am inclined they do exist, but these I at least can confirm:

I think I remember seeing singles from the 1998 Leather and Rookie Stallions Proof Sets being sold online at one time years ago as well.

Actually this set was auctioned off by Playoff at the 1999 Hawaii Trade Show which Dave and Adam Card World won for $27,000 (give or take a $1k or $2k). It was for the complete set (base, parallels and inserts), so every card in this set has a "Proof Set 1 of 1" parallel. They sold it off fairly quickly and in HUGE batches. Most are in private collections which is why they aren't offered often.

Thanks for your contributing insights here jaderock! Smile

So I guess what you are stating is that every 1998 Playoff Contenders base/parallel/insert card is represented in this Proof set, that would make sense. I kind of figured that these Proof set cards were distributed somewhat in a similar fashion to how you described. As a result I do question whether these should qualify for an OPG listing anyway IMHO.

[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

jaderock Wrote:
nittany13 Wrote:1997 Absolute Pennants Gold Redemption Chicago National stamp

Looking through my collection I discovered that the pennant above was not just a Gold Redemption, but it was stamped with the Chicago National logo. I wonder how many other cards from this base or Gold Redemption version have this logo.

Stamped show cards like these are always rare and fun to find...Pacific used to stamp a card every time you bought a pack(s).

*Editing my original post*

Actually I found another one of these exact same cards with this stamp shown above later being sold on eBay. The seller said these were being handed out at the 1998 Chicago card show (this is a 1997 card so I am not certain if that was the precise year he/she meant to state). This would make sense considering that this is the rare gold parallel. If indeed these cards were being handed out at the show, and I have every reason to believe it was, and not brought in by attendees to be stamped then this card should be listed in the price guide.

jaderock Wrote:One set that is extremely tough to find is:

2001 Playoff Honors RETAIL Non Auto Buybacks...it had a checklist of 800 to 1000 card, but is not acknowledge by Beckett/Tuff Stuff nor is it listed on Playoff's site anymore!

All cards carry a "Gold or Transparent" Honor Roll Stamp on it. Most of these cards go unnoticed.

Here's a Favre sample:
[Image: favrehonorfinnese.jpg]

I never knew about these, and I was collecting in 2001. It makes me want to rifle through all my Playoff duplicates and look for this stamp in question. It is insane that there is no available checklist out there anymore to work off of either.

jaderock Wrote:Another set that I recently discovered is:

1997 Upper Deck Minis - there are actually TWO different 48 card sets that I know of.

Jaderock, can you please tell me if you know the background of these cards? Were they very rare inserts, a redemption set or something that ended up on the figurative cutting room floor and never released by Upper Deck?

Also you said there is a parallel set which is foil (like the Favre), am I getting that right?

jaderock Wrote:
nittany13 Wrote:1998 Pinnacle Mint Coins Gold

Apparently there is a gold parallel to these coins that are not accounted for in the OPG. I am not sure if these are "one of ones" though.
[Image: 98_FB_Solid20Gold_041.jpg]

Yes they were #1/1s...this one was once mine:

Dan Marino 24KT Gold

I am positive these where not 1/1's I have 3 24kt gold coins from this set of Jeff Blake and about 4 or 5 of the others. As a matter of fact the gold coins where plated over another metal and where searchable with a metal ditecter. I remember getting kicked out of wal mart as a kid for taking a metal detecter off the display in the garden section and waving over the card display.

[Image: marinof.jpg]
[Image: marino_b.jpg]

[Image: banner.jpg]

i cant find 2009 Topps Platinum Deon Butler rookie patch auto refractor /150

all the other refractors are listed just not the one numbered out of /150

Any help finding this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

FRONT

[Image: SSf.jpg]

BACK

[Image: SSb.jpg]

INSERT (REAL RUBY)

[Image: SSi.jpg]

[center][Image: Padre+O.png]

I
. . . collect . . . Buy . . . Trade for
Green Bay Packers
!

"My Collections" - UPDATED - 9/29/08 Let's TRADE
[/center]

jaderock Wrote:Another set that I recently discovered is:

1997 Upper Deck Minis - there are actually TWO different 48 card sets that I know of.

Here's a couple of samples from one set:

Favre Foil
[Image: minifavre.jpg]

Thomas Front/Moore Back Error
[Image: mthmoserror.jpg]

Regular cards: Collins, Derrick Thomas and Rice:
[Image: collins27.jpg]
[Image: m-thomas.jpg]
[Image: rice7-1.jpg]

Hey JadeRock i think i need that Rice man emoticon

fnorth Wrote:

Any help finding this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

Are you sure that this card is not one of these?
1995 Excalibur 22K Sword and Stone Bronze #KG13
1995 Excalibur 22K Sword and Stone Diamond #KG13
1995 Excalibur 22K Sword and Stone Gold #KG13
1995 Excalibur 22K Sword and Stone Silver #KG13

I haven't been able to find this card in the system for the life of me.
Its # R-JDB
[Image: JohnDavidBootyRCfront.jpg][Image: JohnDavidBootyRCback.jpg]
I found these 2008 Topps Retail Game Jerseys but for some reason this card is not listed with the others. http://beta.beckett.com/item/6705786/Foo...abOverview Thanks in advance
[Image: ClintonPortisautohavessig.jpg][Image: beckett-sig-copy-1-1.gif]
Looking for all Clinton Portis base, inserts, RC's.