`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The official BMB Error Variation discussion and reference thread!

The official BMB Error & Variation discussion and reference thread!
jacksoncoupage, good to see you back on here. Did you get a chance to see my 91UD Mattingly with no stats? It's a few posts up. Won that in a lot recently and have never seen anything like it. Thoughts?
[Image: Mattingly.jpg]

Quote:jacksoncoupage, good to see you back on here. Did you get a chance to see my 91UD Mattingly with no stats? It's a few posts up. Won that in a lot recently and have never seen anything like it. Thoughts?

Hi there-

I did send you a PM about it (maybe 1 1/2 months ago or so??). I am really interested in it and have a couple of questions:

Does the blank area have the exact same sheen or gloss to it (when held at an angle in the light) that the rest of the card does?

Is there anything noticeably odd about the blank area?

Like I was mentioning in the Ben McDonald thread, 1989-1991 Upper Deck were extremely easy to "erase" away sections of to create counterfeit "errors". You would see tons of this kind of thing at shows back then. But I am holding out hope that this and the 1990 UD Ben McDonald "white circle" variations are just extremely limited issue legit variations.

The other that rouses my suspicion with the Mattingly is that it has all it's other appropriate black ink, so it's not a blackless variation. It has his name, copyright etc printed which leads me to think someone could've erased out the stats to create a 'clean' error card.

Did the seller list it as an error or even mention it in the lot or did you just hit while sorting through them?

The area has the same gloss as the rest of the card. I know what you mean by erased away and the dullness that is left behind.

I won it in a lot from someone that was selling off a Mattingly collection for someone else. He was trying to lot up simular items. This happened to come with some blank backs/fronts.

But I bought the lot specifically for this card. In the description he didn't make it out to be a big deal just "no stats." And you could see it in the picture.

As with you, the same thing really jumps out to me, the rest of the black is there. The name, copyright.
[Image: Mattingly.jpg]

UNLISTED TOPPS ERROR CARDS
  Bust out your old commons boxes, I have some unrecognized errors/variations. 

1988 Topps:

#229 Jeff Musselman - a)white "square" next to rookie cup on right, where the actual cup meets the cup base.  b) filled in yellow ***just like McGwire RB #3

1989 Topps:

#594 Jimy Williams MG - a) Blue Jays banner is incomplete with white in between e in Blue and J in Jays.  b) filled in blue

1980 Topps:

#162 Bob Randall - a) purple 2nd BASE flag is blue at upper right tip.  b) filled in purple

1994 Topps:

#109 Delino DeShields - a) EXPOS and 2B on front are red  b) EXPOS and 2B yellow

1995 Topps:

#3 Babe Ruth 100th B-Day a) missing gold Topps logo in upper left  b) gold Topps logo, upper left
evolb909
<!-- End Thread --><!-- Thread -->
Posted 8/19/2008 9:54:24 PM

The official BMB Error &amp; Variation discussion and reference thread!
1991 Topps

#22 Storm Davis - registered symbol over Topps logo in upper left - half reg symbol gone - reg symbol totally gone

#48 Oil Can Boyd - Topps 40 yrs of Baseball flag covers Oils hand - flag airbrushed to color of hand

#369 Steve Searcy - TM next to team name on front close to team name - TM further to the right

#445 Greg Swindell - small R symbol in team banner on front - large R symbol

#481 Eddie Whitson - outside orange border incomplete - corrected (sideways card so looking at the photo the right side up it's on the upper right side to the right of his head.)

#513 Jerald Clark - left outer border partially pink - border all orange

#564 Dante Bichette - name on front all yellow - corrected white

#610 Andres Galarraga - left border overlaps his glove - glove covers border

#614 Luis Salazar - inside right red border incomplete right above CUBS banner - border complete

#673 Greg Olson - incomplete outside right blue border just above Braves banner - complete border

#683 Derek Lilliquist - small R symbol next to Padres in banner on front - large R symbol

#740 Ryne Sandberg - white dot left of name on front - no white dot

#752 Kevin Bass - G in Giants on front incomplete - G complete

1989 Topps

#343 Gary Sheffield -1. white line over bottom border - 2.no white line , Topps logo close to name banner - 3. no white line, Topps logo further up

#403 Kirby Puckett All-Star - E in LEAGUE on front printed over his helmet - E above helmet

#726 Dickie Thon - upper border incomplete almost chipped looking - filled in with orange

#732 Steve Beuchele - pink dot by Topps logo on front - pink dot airbrushed away

1987 TOPPS

#313 Roberto Clemente Turn Back the Clock - his name on front blue - his name black

All were corrected and are similar to the McGwire record breaker error.

#229 Jeff Musselman - right side of topps rookie cup is missing yellow between cup and base of cup

#637 Jay Bell - purple on 2nd N in Indians incomplete

#211 Frank DiPino - B in Cubs incomplete

#792 John Tudor - top of 2nd A in Cardinals incomplete

#234 Ken Dayley - 1st A in Cardinals incomplete

1991 TOPPS

#724 David Segui- error is right border is dark green instead of gray

#695 Kevin Seitzer- error is upper inside border is green instead of blue

#461 Robin Ventura- error is left inner border is gray instead of red

#374 Larry Casian- one variation has pimples on neck, the other has them airbrushed away

#277 Scott Coolbaugh- one variation has a red streak through his cap, the other has the strak airbrushed away

1989 FLEER

#135 Guillermo Hernandez- Several different versions of this one. One has a red blotch on his left shoulder, another version has the red mark much lighter. The 3rd version has the mark mostly airbrushed except for a slight bit of red left, and lastly the mark is completely airbrushed away.

#81 Wade Boggs - black dot next to Throws Right on card back - no dot

#26 Curt Young - Sideways S on card front, right underneath PITCHER - no S

*** All Checklists can be found with and without player positions listed

1984 TOPPS 

#750 Jim Palmer - with and without check mark next to S in ORIOLES on front

1987 TOPPS

#170 Bo Jackson - r in Stars (Future Stars) on front incomplete, white at top - correct colors added

#320 Barry Bonds &amp; #591 Spike Owen - Bonds can be found with Owens back and vice versa

****ALL OF THE CARDS I LIST I ACTUALLY HAVE, BOTH VERSIONS

1989 FLEER RANDY JOHNSON

Everybody has heard of the Marlboro variation by now,
&gt; but there are different versions. 1)  One has the
&gt; sign partially covered with a black line going
&gt; through the letters Marlboro with the tops of all
&gt; letters still visible.   2)   Another version has the word
&gt; Marlboro completely blobbed out with the red and
&gt; white of the sign still clearly visible.   3)  Yet another
&gt; version has a black rectangle over the Marlboro sign.
&gt; The rectangle is darker than the rest of the
&gt; background (which is also black) and sticks out like
&gt; a sore thumb when compared to the corrected version.
&gt;   

evolb909 Wrote:1991 TOPPS

#724 David Segui- error is right border is dark green instead of gray

#695 Kevin Seitzer- error is upper inside border is green instead of blue

#461 Robin Ventura- error is left inner border is gray instead of red

#374 Larry Casian- one variation has pimples on neck, the other has them airbrushed away

#277 Scott Coolbaugh- one variation has a red streak through his cap, the other has the strak airbrushed away

1989 FLEER

#135 Guillermo Hernandez-&nbsp;Several different versions of this one. One has a red blotch on his left shoulder, another version has the red mark much lighter. The 3rd version has the mark mostly airbrushed except for a slight bit of red left, and lastly the mark is completely airbrushed away.

#81 Wade Boggs - black dot next to Throws Right on card back - no dot

#26 Curt Young - Sideways S on card front, right underneath PITCHER - no S

*** All Checklists can be found with and without player positions listed

1984 TOPPS&nbsp;
&nbsp;
#750 Jim Palmer - with and without check mark next to S in ORIOLES on front

1987 TOPPS

#170 Bo Jackson - r in Stars (Future Stars) on front incomplete, white at top - correct colors added

#320 Barry Bonds &amp; #591 Spike Owen - Bonds can be found with Owens back and vice versa

****ALL OF THE CARDS I LIST I ACTUALLY HAVE, BOTH VERSIONS

Can you possibly provide a scan of the 1989 Fleer Checklists with positions? I know there are several members that have been waiting years for confirmation on these.

I have a 2001 Private Stock Game Gear Patch of Barry Bonds that says Authentic Game Worn Jersey instead of Patch and the card stock is the same as the jersey cards. 

I am looking for six 2002 Fleer Classic Cuts cards. Not the autos but the standa
rd GU cards.