`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Explain, describe, and show your Basketball Card Personal Collection (PC)

RE: Explain, describe, and show your Basketball Card Personal Collection (PC)
The problem with me being a collector is that I don't have just one favorite card, lol. Some stick out more than others. Then when I go through my collection I remember something else that I liked just as much. Anyway here's some of my picks.
Favorite cards:
[Image: kenarm791.jpg]
[Image: SU1BRzAxMTYtMS5qcGc.jpg]
[Image: SU1BRzAxMTAtMS5qcGc.jpg]
These are my favorites that I can think of off the top of my head. The Kobe flag patch is the best patch I have in my collection. It changes the game when you compare patches with someone, lol. Everyone can find the Jerry West logo patch, but how many times are you going to find an entact flag patch? The LeBron auto was suppose to be the auto that made me stop collecting, lol. I got that around '07 and it only added to my addiction. The Robertson rc represents my love for the older players that made the game what it is today.

My rarest that I can think of right now:
[Image: SU1BRzAyMjMtMS5qcGc.jpg]
[Image: SU1BRzAxNjktMS5qcGc.jpg]
I have a few LeBron and Kobe 1/1's but it's always special when you can get your hands on a xfractor 1/1 (refractors are what I liked the most about Topps). The Wade 1/1 is so dope. It actually has stars on the patch from the all star game (the LeBron isn't one of my rarest, lol).

As a lot of you know, I have thousands of LeBron's, Jordan's and Kobe's but now my collection has moved more in the direction of Kobe and Jordan (I don't collect to much of LeBron's Heat cards plus I'm not to big of a fan of Panini. Panini has given me some very good Kobe's though). I can think of at least 15 favorites while I'm typing, but these are some of the ones that I have pics of right now.
I got back into collecting in LeBron's rookie year. I wanted my son to start, but he only cared about Pokemon, lol. Now I'm the only one still collecting. Basketball wasn't that much collected when I was a kid. It was Baseball and Football (I remember when Strawberry was my favorite player). David Robinson and Shaq brought basketball a much needed push for me. I stopped collecting around '92-93, but picked up some good stuff at the time. Jordan was always a icon and I wanted someone I liked and was collectable. So I picked someone from the past, the present and the future when I started back collecting.
I collect LeBron, Jordan, Kobe and anything that catches my eye.
[Image: SU1BRzAxODMtMS5qcGc-1.jpg]

threads like this make me miss my Marion Auto collection. I checked my "organize" section to edit it yesterday and I had 83 of them. Now I have zero lol
Smile 
(03-20-2012, 11:19 AM)phxsuns1521 Wrote: threads like this make me miss my Marion Auto collection. I checked my "organize" section to edit it yesterday and I had 83 of them. Now I have zero lol
it is never too late to get one Smile
[Image: 755bd9c1.jpg]
I will miss you bbills1999
Where are you XstreamInsanity/Jason?

(03-20-2012, 11:20 AM)filamuraireborn Wrote: it is never too late to get one Smile
it's not the same when he's on another team
Smile 
(03-20-2012, 11:43 AM)phxsuns1521 Wrote: it's not the same when he's on another team
but that feeling can be and will be erased if you get an auto of him in a suns uni Smile

Bumping this awesome thread to the top.

lets see some more pc background stories!
[Image: ewing_zps7sp6k1o0.png]

I want to bump this for more participants. Come and share. Thanks.

Despite being born in the early 1980s - and, thus, watching basketball during the Jordan era onwards - I have an obsession with the history of the game. I have dozens of books detailing basketball's history. It may seem strange, but I care more for pre-NBA players like Hank Luisetti and Bobby McDermott than I do for Jeremy Lin and Russell Westbrook.

I am a huge Upper Deck fan and about 95% of my cards are made by them, with just a few Panini, Press Pass and Topps/Bowman cards thrown in. My favourite set is probably 2007-08 Chronology followed by 2008-09 UD Black.

My collecting goals are simple: I want just one autographed card of every legendary player from NBA history. I like game used cards too, but only if they are rare cards of truly elite and iconic players.

The best card in my collection is this 2007-08 Chronology Timeless Memories Michael Jordan auto. The photo/art is incredible. I believe its the most iconic card of the past 10 years.

[Image: MichaelJordan.jpg]

The Jordan auto looks beautiful next to this Julius Erving 2007-08 Chronology Timeless Memories auto, which also features an iconic moment in basketball history.

[Image: IMG_8061.jpg]

I own lots of other cards from that set (31 and counting), including these autos of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson and LeBron James.

[Image: IMG_8066.jpg]

[Image: IMG_8058.jpg]

[Image: IMG_6380.jpg]

Meanwhile, I think this Rick Barry auto from the same set is one of the most underrated cards from the set, featuring Rick shooting his infamous underhand free throws.

[Image: IMG_8047.jpg]

I'm very fussy about card design and enjoy finding cards with excellent photography. I feel that this Larry Bird Press Pass Legends auto meets both criteria.

[Image: LarryBird4-1.jpg]

Until a few weeks ago, I had a full set of 2009-10 Bowman 48 autos. However, I decided to break up the set to fund other card purchases. I kept hold of this Jerry West patch auto though.

[Image: IMG_7311.jpg]

One of the cards that first got me interested in collecting legendary players' autos was this Bob Lainer 2008-09 UD Black auto. I still think its one of the nicest looking cards in my collection.

[Image: IMG_8020.jpg]

As a result, I went out and bought this Kevin Garnett auto from the same set after seeing him play in person for Boston. I was lucky enough to attend the press conference after the game. I really warmed to KG, despite not liking him earlier in his career.

[Image: KevinGarnett-1.jpg]

I don't own many autos of active players but I had to make an exception for Kobe Bryant. This is one of the few Panini cards in my collection. I wish the checklist was better, because I think this card design is stunning and it reminds me a bit of Chronology.

[Image: KobeBryant2-1.jpg]

One of the most classy looking cards in my collection is this Isiah Thomas 2004-05 Exquisite patch auto. I own every All-Star Game since 1984 on DVD. Isiah put on a show in the 1980s games which justified me buying one of the only Exquisite autos in my collection (I generally prefer Chronology cards).

[Image: IsiahThomas-1.jpg]

As already mentioned, I like rare game used cards, and two of my favourites are these Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell Exquisite Extra jumbo jersey cards.

[Image: IMG_4431.jpg]

[Image: IMG_4428.jpg]

My favourite patch cards are probably these two UD Black patches of Oscar Robertson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (who won a championship together in Milwaukee).

[Image: IMG_6237.jpg]

[Image: IMG_7320.jpg]

However, in terms of card design, I think its tough to beat this Michael Jordan 2007-08 Chronology Stitches in Time jersey.

[Image: IMG_6735.jpg]

Having said that, the two most expensive game used cards in my collection both feature Wilt Chamberlain. One of them is his UD Black jersey below. I probably overpaid by 200%, but I don't care. It's got such vibrant colours and I love the design.

[Image: IMG_5356.jpg]

The other is this very rare dual jersey of Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain which I just had to have.

[Image: IMG_7344.jpg]

To go with all my Wilt Chamberlain game used cards, I bought this PSA authenticated autograph. I thought the inscription made it rather special.

[Image: WiltChamberlain4.jpg]

Finally, although its worth less than every card posted above, it was this 2009-10 Bowman 48 patch auto of Dominique Wilkins that truly got me back into card collecting after an 9-year hiatus. My girlfriend got me a box of Bowman 48 for Christmas a couple of years ago. I pulled this eye-catching card (that I will never part with), and the rest is history.

[Image: DominiqueWilkins.jpg]

The rest of my collection can be found here for anyone that's interested: http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m561...?start=all

Nice post, Will. Bumping this again to the top.