`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gary Sheffield question

RE: Gary Sheffield question
In 1998 MLB knew there was PED use. They ignored it until latter on. They wanted too get thier money. I saw a interview with Bob Gibson. It's on YouTube. I'm not sure of the date. He was asked about PEDs. He said that I think guys have tried too get a edge since baseball began.

I agree .... It wouldn't surprise me if 90% of all players were using and even the chosen one Ken Griffey Jr. numbers had a spike 1997-1999 ! I remember as a kid looking at George Fosters baseball card and seeing 52 Hr's or so during the big Red machine years at it was eye opening till the Mid to late 90's when every team had 40+ to 50+ home run hitters ...... I believe there was more 50+ home run seasons in a five year period in the 90's than the rest of Baseball history combined !!! In the 90's and early 2000's if you weren't cheating you weren't trying !
[Image: c420f836-983f-40d0-9430-a8ccfd947155_zpsfddf63fd.jpg]

(12-26-2014, 05:35 PM)stwainfan Wrote: In 1998 MLB knew there was PED use. They ignored it until latter on. They wanted too get thier money. I saw a interview with Bob Gibson. It's on YouTube. I'm not sure of the date. He was asked about PEDs. He said that I think guys have tried too get a edge since baseball began.
What MLB deemed ok until they got caught and what the Hall of Fame deems ok are 2 totally different things. MLB will do whats in the best interest of the association, not it's players. And if that meant allowing ped's for ratings, knowing full well they were inevitably hanging their players out to dry, they were going to do it.

(12-26-2014, 06:10 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: What MLB deemed ok until they got caught and what the Hall of Fame deems ok are 2 totally different things. MLB will do whats in the best interest of the association, not it's players. And if that meant allowing ped's for ratings, knowing full well they were inevitably hanging their players out to dry, they were going to do it.
This is true
The MLB commercials with Glavine and Maddux "Chicks dig the long ball " ! MLB was cashing in during the post MLB strike era
[Image: c420f836-983f-40d0-9430-a8ccfd947155_zpsfddf63fd.jpg]

Short answer, no. Fred McGriff is more Hall worthy than Sheff. I'd love to see Larry Walker make it in but I think injuries took away a lot of playing time that would haven given him the edge to get in.
[Image: m5GDmvD.png]

Want List
- 2006 Craig Biggio SP Authentic By the Letter "B" "O"
- 1991 Topps Desert Shield Chipper Jones

I'm on board with McGriff.

(12-26-2014, 06:10 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: What MLB deemed ok until they got caught and what the Hall of Fame deems ok are 2 totally different things. MLB will do whats in the best interest of the association, not it's players. And if that meant allowing ped's for ratings, knowing full well they were inevitably hanging their players out to dry, they were going to do it.
I agree with that. I also think MLB officials should have too answer for the part they had. Not just have the players take the blame.

I think that it is pretty cruddy that some of the HOF voting members of the BBWA have said that they simply will not vote for anyone that played during the PED "era", even if the player wasn't one of the big suspected PED users. That's not saying I support or oppose barring players that were suspected or confirmed to use PEDs from the HOF. I am curious to know how many from the Veteran's Committee have said the same thing.

All that aside, I agree that Sheff won't make it into the HOF.

(12-26-2014, 06:45 PM)stwainfan Wrote: I agree with that. I also think MLB officials should have too answer for the part they had. Not just have the players take the blame.
I agree with you completely. Unfortunately it's never going to happen. There's no real Hall of Fame for owners. So combine that with the modern owner being more business man than fan, and money is their bottom line. Penalizing them, if you could prove their involvement, would not matter to them so long as the penalty did not outweigh the dollar. Do you think these guys care about public opinion regarding themselves?

(12-26-2014, 07:38 PM)Hofcollector Wrote: I agree with you completely. Unfortunately it's never going to happen. There's no real Hall of Fame for owners. So combine that with the modern owner being more business man than fan, and money is their bottom line. Penalizing them, if you could prove their involvement, would not matter to them so long as the penalty did not outweigh the dollar. Do you think these guys care about public opinion regarding themselves?
Yes I get that it's about ratings and money. Correct me if I'm wrong. Hasn't there been action taking against owners before. Finley from A's, Schott from Reds and others. I think part of it also is these huge contracts. Like the Yankees and Alex Rodriguez. I am not sure there has ever been a player worth $61 million.