`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handling Cards

Handling Cards
When you open a pack of cards, take your cards out to organize, trade, or even just to look at, are there any pre-card handling rituals you go through?

I've thought of having a bottle of hand sanitizer nearby to help neutralize any oils on my hands, but I've also thought about getting a felt pad to lay them on instead of just my desk. I'd be interested to know what other people's thoughts are. Thanks!
PC Card Totals:

Manny Machado - 395
Jonathan Schoop - 223
Chance Sisco - 11

Always looking for more of these guys! Let's trade!

RE: Handling Cards
No pre-card handling rituals for me. I'm not THAT OCD.

I usually sort as I rip, PC cards in one stack, base commons into a storage box, inserts into penny sleeves and into the same box as commons, higher dollar inserts into penny sleeves and top loaders and into a separate box in my safe. PC cards get cataloged and put into binders either on my shelves or in my safe depending on their value.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Cool. Thanks!

(03-18-2014, 11:11 AM)zeprock Wrote: No pre-card handling rituals for me. I'm not THAT OCD.

I usually sort as I rip, PC cards in one stack, base commons into a storage box, inserts into penny sleeves and into the same box as commons, higher dollar inserts into penny sleeves and top loaders and into a separate box in my safe. PC cards get cataloged and put into binders either on my shelves or in my safe depending on their value.
PC Card Totals:

Manny Machado - 395
Jonathan Schoop - 223
Chance Sisco - 11

(03-18-2014, 11:11 AM)zeprock Wrote: No pre-card handling rituals for me. I'm not THAT OCD.

This is roughly the way my ripping goes as well Smile
(sig courtesy of jbel4331)
[Image: sdh5p0.png]
Sets
2013 Bowman Inception Base Auto - 56/62 -90.3%
2011 Topps Cognac Diamond Anniversary(Series 1 & 2) - 383/709 -54%
2011 Topps Diamond Anniversary (Series 1 & 2) - 371/709 -52.3%
2014 Topps 1989 Die Cuts - 119/150 - 79.3%

All high end products are opened with scissors (after ensuring all cards are at bottom of pack), regular packs ($10.00 and under) I CAREFULLY RIP OPEN. Cards, ALL CARDS are NEVER touched on the front, I pick all cards up via the sides. You will never get my finger print off of one of my cards. All cards are then set on something soft (ie napkin, opened pack, table cloth, etc). Cards are sleeved if I'm going to keep them. They are soft sleeved and then hard cased or placed in a magnetic holder (without a sleeve). I only need to touch my cards one time and then they are protected. I then touch them any way I wish to get a good look at them. Then stored accordingly to prevent damage.
Will always be looking for 2012 or 2013 Panini Cooperstown Signatures for the two sets I'm building-Will trade in your favor--will ship first--Thanks

Cool. Thanks for sharing!

(03-18-2014, 12:32 PM)happy14027 Wrote: All high end products are opened with scissors (after ensuring all cards are at bottom of pack), regular packs ($10.00 and under) I CAREFULLY RIP OPEN. Cards, ALL CARDS are NEVER touched on the front, I pick all cards up via the sides. You will never get my finger print off of one of my cards. All cards are then set on something soft (ie napkin, opened pack, table cloth, etc). Cards are sleeved if I'm going to keep them. They are soft sleeved and then hard cased or placed in a magnetic holder (without a sleeve). I only need to touch my cards one time and then they are protected. I then touch them any way I wish to get a good look at them. Then stored accordingly to prevent damage.
PC Card Totals:

Manny Machado - 395
Jonathan Schoop - 223
Chance Sisco - 11

Pretty much wash my hands and make sure the surface I'm sorting them on is clean and dry.

The one "OCD" thing I do is cut a small slit along the top right corner of the penny sleeve so that the lower right corner of the card slides in cleanly without getting chipped.

I cannot begin to tell you how many cards I've received via trade or the bay that all have this same, mysterious white chipping in the lower right hand corner!

I always flare by penny sleeves when putting a card in to help with that.
PC Card Totals:

Manny Machado - 395
Jonathan Schoop - 223
Chance Sisco - 11

no need to flare or cut penny sleeves they sell them like that now...My ritual is I have penny sleeves and toploaders on standby as i pull i look the card up...any pc item gets logged in and shelved others $5 and over go into toploaders....Anything under goes into penny sleeves in a box. I do wash my hands before opening cards....Allen & Ginter was infamous for showing oils on the cards so I do not take that chance anymore with any product.
[Image: rm1_zpsecc24267.jpg]

I would open the pack, then put pc cards in one stack, base commons in another stack, and star players and inserts into another stack, then put pc and inserts into penny sleeves (if inserts are $5 and up they go in toploader). The star players go into binders sorted alphabetically by last name, and the commons go into boxes after being put in number order. The inserts go to separate box for trading. PC stuff goes into their own boxes/binders.
[Image: 971927d6500d72m3.jpg]