Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

jerryowens

who are the nicest ones, and who were not too friendly?
nicest: ken harrelson, signed and talked while he was waiting for his car
gary carter- met at a baseball camp, signed as much as you wanted
mark prior- same as gary carter, signed as many as you wanted at a camp, and this was during his rookie year when he was dominating

and the not so nice:
arod- met him at a baseball camp, was the opposite of carter. carter came in a uniform, arod came as if he were golfing you got an auto by handing a ball to someone, who handed it to arod, who handed it to someone, who handed it to you. he did not want to be there.

fsulevine

As bad a rep as he has for whatever reason, Frank Thomas was one of the nicest ballplayers I ever had the opportunity to meet. Pat Borders and Sparky Lyle also stand out in my memory.

waxheaven

Tony Clark was unbelievably nice.

[Image: 2-4.jpg]

pghbuccos

Jason Bay is the nicest athlete I have ever met. he always takes the time to talk to fans and sign. Marc-Andre Fleury is also very nice and loves to talk to his fans.

Ian Snell wasn't mean but last year at Pirates Fest he just didn't seem like he wanted to be there.

jerryowens

add girardi to that list, he came for free to the place i take baseball lessons at and talked and signed

Raymond

Buck O'Neil.
Runner up: Harmon Killebrew

jerryowens

and loaiza did a free signing at a shop the day after his all star game start a few years ago he was nice and signed for hundreds

RU4Scuba

fsulevine Wrote:As bad a rep as he has for whatever reason, Frank Thomas was one of the nicest ballplayers I ever had the opportunity to meet. Pat Borders and Sparky Lyle also stand out in my memory.
Thomas has a bad rep in some clubhouses, but he has always been a class act towards his fans. Also, there is no nicer player in all of baseball than Sean Casey. Todd Jones is a close second.

labratt21

Paul O'Neill, Dave Henderson, Mike Gallego and Steve Howe

kingofminors1

Tony Gwynn will chat it up for a while if he's at a show. I went to a show once where if you paid for a Ripken auto, you also got 2-3 minutes of personal time to just chat with him and take pictures.

Back after Gabe Kapler won AA POY with Jacksonville (Tigers), I was at Spring Training waiting for autos after a game. As players came out people wpuld shout out their name and they'd sign. When Kapler came out, it was quiet. Nobody knew who he was. I did and asked him if he'd sign. When everyone realized who it was, they went running after him. He said he had to put his gear in his car and that he'd come back and sign. He put his gear in the car, walked through a crowd of people and came right up to me first (I didn't follow him), took the ball, actually asked me if I wanted it on the sweet spot (of course I did), and signed. He then saw my girlfriend, now wife, had a camera, put his arm around me, and said "you want to get a picture?" I still have the picture. Best experience I've ever had.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20