Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: ot- nicest baseball players you have met? (and the not so nice)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

wscards5

Nicest- Dee Brown, he was always very nice at all of his minor league games in wichita, signed for everyone.
Sean Rodriguez(Angels)- He is one of my favorite guys to get to sign cause he would stand there and talk to everyone, sign, and give baseballs to all the little kids.
Joey Gathright- Just an all around nice guy
Ricky Weeks- Chased him down the sidewalk in Stlouis. haha he just laughed and signed me a few autos and took a picture

Worst- Juan Encarnacion, he wouldent sign for two little kids on a minor league rehab and they where the only two asking for one.
Eric Patterson- wouldnt sign for me in Omaha agianst the royals just ignored me. even his team mate scott moore said he was a jack***

sethyarkony

SWISHER! Jerry Rice is also really nice, and funny. He is a good guy!
Phil Jackson=JERK. I was four years old at the grocery store right after the Bulls had won the title. I said "congratulations Mr. Jackson" in my four year old voice, and with no one else even near him or me, he completely ignored me.
Also, I have to disagree with whoever said Aaron Rowand was on the negative side. At a Sox game when he was on the team, everyone was waiting for his auto and others as the team came out to stretch. He took the time to come over and say that the team was running a little late that day, and that he would do his best to come back after. He then came and signed after the warmup time with other sox players.

[Image: DSCN2233.jpg]

frikativ54

astrosrule1 Wrote:
frikativ54 Wrote:
chisox3706 Wrote:jeff bagwell is a stroke
Wow - I had the opposite experience with Bagwell. First time I met him, he was quite shy but still wished me happy birthday (the Houston trip was a belated birthday present)! But he signed everything for me, including a game-used bat, which I later heard that he doesn't often do.

Second time I met him, it was in a restaurant after an extra-innings win in Arizona. I got to high five Bagwell and chat with him for a couple of minutes, before I decided that I should sit back down in my seat. Then the next day at the stadium, he signed my authentic Astros jersey for me. Far from a jerk, IMO.

Best Guys: Eduardo Perez, Billy Wagner

Worst: Hunter Pence, Randy Johnson
I disagree on the Hunter Pence part though. He signs more autographs than anybody and is always very friendly. I have never personally got his autograph as on several occasions he has looked at me and said I am trying to pick the kids arms out of the crowd as he skips the grown ups. But hey I don't consider it rude if he had rather sign for the kids and women instead of grown men that is his call but he has always been funny when I have met him.

On a side not Billy Wagner was always either a complete jerk or the nicest person you ever met and this is after meeting him a ton of times, there is no in between with him it seemed.
I'll take your word on Pence. I have generally heard he is a nice guy; maybe I just caught him on a bad day. But the one thing to remember is although I am 23, I look like I am 16. When I say that I am a Junior, people assume high school and ask me where I want to go to college. Which makes me mad because I am mid-way through my Junior year in college! So - I see no reason to be rude to someone who looks like they are a teenager.

That is really interesting about Billy Wagner. He was honestly the nicest and friendliest guy that I have ever met!

Anybody on this board have experiences with Hanley Ramirez?

sethyarkony

frikativ54 Wrote:
astrosrule1 Wrote:
frikativ54 Wrote:
chisox3706 Wrote:jeff bagwell is a stroke
Wow - I had the opposite experience with Bagwell. First time I met him, he was quite shy but still wished me happy birthday (the Houston trip was a belated birthday present)! But he signed everything for me, including a game-used bat, which I later heard that he doesn't often do.

Second time I met him, it was in a restaurant after an extra-innings win in Arizona. I got to high five Bagwell and chat with him for a couple of minutes, before I decided that I should sit back down in my seat. Then the next day at the stadium, he signed my authentic Astros jersey for me. Far from a jerk, IMO.

Best Guys: Eduardo Perez, Billy Wagner

Worst: Hunter Pence, Randy Johnson
I disagree on the Hunter Pence part though. He signs more autographs than anybody and is always very friendly. I have never personally got his autograph as on several occasions he has looked at me and said I am trying to pick the kids arms out of the crowd as he skips the grown ups. But hey I don't consider it rude if he had rather sign for the kids and women instead of grown men that is his call but he has always been funny when I have met him.

On a side not Billy Wagner was always either a complete jerk or the nicest person you ever met and this is after meeting him a ton of times, there is no in between with him it seemed.
I'll take your word on Pence. I have generally heard he is a nice guy; maybe I just caught him on a bad day. But the one thing to remember is although I am 23, I look like I am 16. When I say that I am a Junior, people assume high school and ask me where I want to go to college. Which makes me mad because I am mid-way through my Junior year in college! So - I see no reason to be rude to someone who looks like they are a teenager.

That is really interesting about Billy Wagner. He was honestly the nicest and friendliest guy that I have ever met!

Anybody on this board have experiences with Hanley Ramirez?
I have to agree about Billy. Met him at a signing at the Times Square Toys R Us and he was great. He wanted to talk and was happy the entire time

wheelie53

Johnny Logan and Billy Williams are among the nicest players I have met that are baseball players. George Brett wasn't very nice the day I saw him as he even refused auto's to children at a charity basketball game.

Irtazman

one of the nicest was Todd hundley when with the mets. Saw him at the astrodome. Some kid next to me knew his nickname from when he was a kid, so he came over and chatted with us for like 20 minutes during warmups.

Not so nice: Griffey Jr. Went to yankee stadium and he was in leftfield during BP. A kid asked him to sign an UD rokkie card (Back when it was worth like 150). Griffey tells him throw it down and he'll sign it on his way in, so the kid did it (Was in toploader). 10 minutes later griffey starts jogging in, turns to come over and grab the card. He just stopped in front of it, looked at the kid and laughed and jogged away leaving the kids card on the ground unsigned.

redskinfan47

Nicest Michael Burgess. Was at a restaurant for my 21st and saw a guy come in and told my buddy that's Michael and he didn't believe me, but when he turned he had on Nationals Under Armor on and was sure it was him. Said hey Michael and talked to him for a few minutes. I'm sure he doesn't get recognized too often.

G $MONEY$

pghbuccos Wrote:Jason Bay is the nicest athlete I have ever met. he always takes the time to talk to fans and sign. Marc-Andre Fleury is also very nice and loves to talk to his fans.

Ian Snell wasn't mean but last year at Pirates Fest he just didn't seem like he wanted to be there.

Thats great to hear about MAF, as i want to get an IP auto someday from him.

I met Griffey Jr back in the early 90s in an exhibition game against the Mariners AAA team, Calgary. Griffey was great and signed multiples for everyone.

[Image: 2ihnymg.jpg]

bgrecco18

Minors:

NICE

Clint Sammons
Vladimir Nunez
Wes Timmons
Brent Lillibridge
Brandon Jones
Matt DeSalvo (very strange, but nice)
Sal Fasano (incredibly nice)
Pretty much all of the R-Braves except Damian Moss
Andrew McCutchen (missed 2 of 4 games with stomach virus but still signed everything)
Jay Bruce - Signed everything
John Parrish
Bill Murphy
Josh Fields (a very strange turnaround)
Scott Moore
Mike Costanzo
Tom Shearn
Jon Weber
Jeff Niemann

NOT

Homer Bailey
Lance Broadway
Tomo Okah
Brett Gardner
A few more random guys I can't remember

Majors

Nice

Tim Lincicum
Matt Cain
Prince Fielder
Ryan Braun
Mike Cameron
Ryan Zimmermann
Don Sutton

Grumpy

Aaron Rowand
Randy Winn
Bill Hall (I think it was a bad day)

Most guys are nice enough, some may be more talkative than others but they are fine. Some are just not.

kptteix23

Some of you guys have it all wrong, just because a player doesn't sign or sign multiple items of yours, doesn't mean that they are bad guys. I saw some threads on this were they listed a guy as "Worst" because he didn't sign or was quiet. Not all guys are outgoing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20