Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: The official BMB Error Variation discussion and reference thread!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

onionring9

2wrigley Wrote:This is a minor league set variation, but there are at least a few stars in the set (McGwire, Canseco, Bernie come to mind) that might interest the player collectors here. In addition to the team sets that are fairly common, ProCards issued their 1989 AAA cards in wax packs later in the year in 1989. The cards that were issued in the packs differ from the ones that are in the team sets in that the cards from the packs have their stats from 1989 on the back of the cards. An example of the difference is below. The fronts of the cards are identical from all that I can tell. As far as I know, only the AAA (blue bordered) cards were issued in the packs. From my experience, the 1989 stat back variations are fairly hard to come by. The only actual packs I have ever seen were the ones I opened in 1989. I have picked up a few lots of the cards over the years (totaling about 300 cards), but never seen the packs themselves again.

[Image: 89Procards.jpg]
dammit

onionring9

jacksoncoupage Wrote:FAQ
Regarding an FAQ, I think we just need to define what we are looking at. I guess I'll take a crack at some definitions.

We are looking for Variations and Errors but not Printing Errors according to these definitions:

Variation: A mass produced printing difference that was premeditated. These are created to differentiate distribution types, subsets or a specific pattern deltas of a card. The best examples come from Donruss: INC/INC., line/no line on grand slammers, splatter variations of 1990. I would also include enhanced cards in this category such as the airbrushed/not airbrushed 1990 Bowman cards.

Error: A mass produced error that is repeated for an individual player or is found throughout an entire set. These are a subset of variations. These are not always corrected. These cards were found to be flawed partially through the printing process and were either recalled or corrected with a later version. This includes cards like the 1988 printing plate errors in which a single mal-formed printing plate caused a mass production of error cards that were distributed and later corrected, as well as the Topps Finest Refractors that either say "R" or "Refractor".

Printing Error: An error that is not mass produced. This includes errors like a splotch on a card, a missed hologram on the back of a card, transposed pictures, blank backs, cards having a players picture on front, and another persons stats on back,etc. These errors have either a unique distribution or very low distribution.

onionring9

Has anybody mentioned the numberless '97 UD Collectors Choice?

[Image: 97udcc.jpg]

chrisolds2004

Picked up a 91 Topps factory set (white box with red/blue letters). It had about half errors and half corrections. The Comstock was a correction while the Chamberlain and Gonzales were errors. No rhyme or reason on that one.

HawkHOF

Quick question: What is the 1990 Upper Deck Ben McDonald w/White Circle on front? Do you happen to have a scan? And is there any other unlisted variations to look for in 1990 Upper Deck? I just got a ton of this stuff. Thanks

jacksoncoupage

chrisolds2004 Wrote:Picked up a 91 Topps factory set (white box with red/blue letters). It had about half errors and half corrections. The Comstock was a correction while the Chamberlain and Gonzales were errors. No rhyme or reason on that one.
The factory sets were issued mid run and like most sets with a large amount of errors, mid-runs are where all the more common versions are. As for 1991 Topps, if you are hunting the really rare variations, stick to packaging that says "Picture Cards" rather than "Bubble Gum Cards".

jacksoncoupage

HawkHOF Wrote:Quick question: What is the 1990 Upper Deck Ben McDonald w/White Circle on front? Do you happen to have a scan? And is there any other unlisted variations to look for in 1990 Upper Deck? I just got a ton of this stuff. Thanks
I do not have a scan, in fact, I have never actually seen this card but it is listed in Dick Gilkeson's error and variation guide. Back when that guide was written, he based a lot of info off of xerox's that readers/collectors sent in to him which leads me to my theory: the 1990 Upper Deck cards were often erased in certain areas and sold by shady dealers as the next "big" error card. It's likely that Gilkeson received multiple xerox's from collectors that purchased these.

On the other hand, the Ben McDonald card was already affected by a variation in it's logo on front and it would be entirely possible that a "transitional" version with no logo in the circle was produced, either errantly or as a proof of sorts for the designers at Upper Deck. Bottom line is, the only info I have on this card is it's brief listing in that error guide.

As far as unlisted 1990 UD errors go, card #101-199 can be found without their copyrights on back. Card #702 can be found with Mike Witt pictured (yankees uniform) and a large black rectangle on back. Good luck with that one and don't hesitate to PM if you land it.

KLARNOLD

jacksoncoupage, check your inbox and email.

onionring9

Going back to the '92 Leaf Black Gold. I found a Preview with INC. The Previews I thought weren't supposed to have them but apparently I was wrong.

The . on the INC looks like its been rubbed down but its definitely there (much more visible in person, you can barely see it from this scan)

[Image: 1992leaf.jpg]

onionring9

onionring9 Wrote:
jacksoncoupage Wrote:FAQ
Regarding an FAQ, I think we just need to define what we are looking at. I guess I'll take a crack at some definitions.

We are looking for Variations and Errors but not Printing Errors according to these definitions:

Variation: A mass produced printing difference that was premeditated. These are created to differentiate distribution types, subsets or a specific pattern deltas of a card. The best examples come from Donruss: INC/INC., line/no line on grand slammers, splatter variations of 1990. I would also include enhanced cards in this category such as the airbrushed/not airbrushed 1990 Bowman cards.

Error: A mass produced error that is repeated for an individual player or is found throughout an entire set. These are a subset of variations. These are not always corrected. These cards were found to be flawed partially through the printing process and were either recalled or corrected with a later version. This includes cards like the 1988 printing plate errors in which a single mal-formed printing plate caused a mass production of error cards that were distributed and later corrected, as well as the Topps Finest Refractors that either say "R" or "Refractor".

Printing Error: An error that is not mass produced. This includes errors like a splotch on a card, a missed hologram on the back of a card, transposed pictures, blank backs, cards having a players picture on front, and another persons stats on back,etc. These errors have either a unique distribution or very low distribution.
Anybody else have any input on this? I just threw this together so I figure some other people might have more to say on the matter.