Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Found Some More Prestige
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
rjcj2017 Wrote:I have pulled probably a half a dozen major autos out of retail (Bryce Harper, Kris Bryant, Anthony Davis, Kobe Bryant, Derek Jeter, Ken Griffey Jr.), but only the Harper was from a regular blaster.
Here are my best auto pulls out of regular retail blasters (notice a pattern):

2010 Topps Magic:

Sam Bradford SP/50 (obviously a huge pull at the time, not so much now - although since he was a future Eagle, I am glad I held onto it)
Brian Westbrook SP/50 (and this is probably only here because I am an Eagles fan - although it is an SP/50 and was 1:9,950 odds)
Ronnie Lott/Patrick Willis Dual Auto /25 (this was like 1:25,000 odds)

2012 Press Pass Sportstown

Andrew Luck /10

2013 Topps Archive 

USFL Buyback Auto /10 - Doug Weight (1:13,844 odds)

2014 Sage Hit

Jadevon Clowney Gold /250

2015 Sage Hit

Jameis Winston

2016 Sage Hit

Jared Goff

20whatever Contenders Draft Picks

Michael Thomas

I have in a decade of buying cards literally only gotten 1 good autograph from a regular Panini retail product - and Michael Thomas at the time  was just another wide out prospect - Topps, yes, Sage yes, Press Pass, yes.  Panini more expensive retail, yes - but regular Panini blasters, forget it.
ZSDOne Wrote:Here are my best auto pulls out of regular retail blasters (notice a pattern):

2010 Topps Magic:

Sam Bradford SP/50 (obviously a huge pull at the time, not so much now - although since he was a future Eagle, I am glad I held onto it)
Brian Westbrook SP/50 (and this is probably only here because I am an Eagles fan - although it is an SP/50 and was 1:9,950 odds)
Ronnie Lott/Patrick Willis Dual Auto /25 (this was like 1:25,000 odds)

2012 Press Pass Sportstown

Andrew Luck /10

2013 Topps Archive 

USFL Buyback Auto /10 - Doug Weight (1:13,844 odds)

2014 Sage Hit

Jadevon Clowney Gold /250

2015 Sage Hit

Jameis Winston

2016 Sage Hit

Jared Goff

20whatever Contenders Draft Picks

Michael Thomas

I have in a decade of buying cards literally only gotten 1 good autograph from a regular Panini retail product - and Michael Thomas at the time  was just another wide out prospect - Topps, yes, Sage yes, Press Pass, yes.  Panini more expensive retail, yes - but regular Panini blasters, forget it.
Magic was a great product. Back in 2013 I pulled a Matt Barkley/Zach Ertz dual auto/25 and a Matt Barkley jumbo jersey/99 in the same blaster.

As a USC fan it was the best PC blaster I ever busted, I was a huge Barkley fan. I also pulled a Barkley auto/25 out of a Press Pass box I got at Target ... great stuff that year.

Would have been better if he panned out, LOL
rjcj2017 Wrote:Magic was a great product. Back in 2013 I pulled a Matt Barkley/Zach Ertz dual auto/25 and a Matt Barkley jumbo jersey/99 in the same blaster.

As a USC fan it was the best PC blaster I ever busted, I was a huge Barkley fan. I also pulled a Barkley auto/25 out of a Press Pass box I got at Target ... great stuff that year.

Would have been better if he panned out, LOL
I still pick up individual Topps Magic autographs when I can find them - such a nice looking set.

And the Barkley/Ertz is still a great Eagles card.  And Barkley is still sticking around as a back up so its not that bad.  Plus, your backup quarterback cards of today are tomorrow's coaches.
ZSDOne Wrote:I still pick up individual Topps Magic autographs when I can find them - such a nice looking set.

And the Barkley/Ertz is still a great Eagles card.  And Barkley is still sticking around as a back up so its not that bad.  Plus, your backup quarterback cards of today are tomorrow's coaches.
I always liked Barkley as a player, but really started to respect him when he stuck around during the NCAA sanctions at USC.

At that point he probably could have transferred and started at any school in America, but he chose to stick it out.

They were even offering kids the chance to transfer without sitting out a year, and he still stayed loyal to USC.
rjcj2017 Wrote:I always liked Barkley as a player, but really started to respect him when he stuck around during the NCAA sanctions at USC.

At that point he probably could have transferred and started at any school in America, but he chose to stick it out.

They were even offering kids the chance to transfer without sitting out a year, and he still stayed loyal to USC.
I suspect that eventually you will see him in coaching - which is very common for back up quarterbacks - former Eagles QB Mike Kafka is an example - drafted in 2011 and today he is quarterbacks coach at KC - I got a matched set of BGS 9.5 graded Contenders (regular and alternate version) for $5 a piece.  Since he already has "Patrick Mahomes Quarterback Coach" on his resume that pair could turn out to be a real bargain. 

A lot of people don't think of it, but the back up QB cards can have much better future value if the player becomes a successful coach
(08-26-2020, 08:40 AM)ZSDOne Wrote: [ -> ]A lot of people don't think of it, but the back up QB cards can have much better future value if the player becomes a successful coach
I'm sure there are more examples I'm not thinking of, but off the top of my head right now in the NFL you've got:

Frank Reich
Kliff Kingsbury
Doug Pedersen

And you can even consider guys like Jason Garrett as one who will likely get a shot again and up and comers like Byron Leftwich. Man, now I'm wishing this could become its own thread!
jplarson Wrote:I'm sure there are more examples I'm not thinking of, but off the top of my head right now in the NFL you've got:

Frank Reich
Kliff Kingsbury
Doug Pedersen

And you can even consider guys like Jason Garrett as one who will likely get a shot again and up and comers like Byron Leftwich.  Man, now I'm wishing this could become its own thread!
Maybe we can still make a separate post - when he was still at Texas Tech, I picked up a Kliff Kingsbury auto card out of the dollar bin - admittedly its numbered out of something like 2000, but I still thought it was a decent purchase.
A couple of longtime backups. Don Strock with the Dolphins. Just looked, didn't realize he played until 1989. But I guess as a lifetime backup you can avoid the injuries and have a long career. He coached the Miami Hooters an Mass. Marauders.

There is also Gary Kubiak.
You guys crack me up with your tangents.

I had to look because I wasn't even sure who actually started this thread.
rjcj2017 Wrote:You guys crack me up with your tangents.

I had to look because I wasn't even sure who actually started this thread.
Talking about backup quarterbacks is totally germane when the initial post noted that the big hit from the break was a Jarratt Stidham auto /10
Pages: 1 2 3