Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Crossover grading?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I was just wondering what everyones opinions were on crossover grading. Has anyone ever successfully done it with good results? I have some PSA 10's in my collection and the value of these cards would go up substantially if they were BGS 10 but I really don't know if it's worth the risk.

What do you guys think? Yay? Nay?
PSA 10's literally never come back BGS 10's. That being said, a BGS 9.5 (should you manage to pull one) sells better than a PSA 10. The other issue you need to consider is the auto grades. PSA doesn't grade auto's leaving it open to interpretation on their slabs. This is part of the reason they don't carry the same weight in the modern card market as BGS. If your crossing over anything with an auto on it your going to leave yourself vulnerable if the auto is less than stellar. Having cards come back BGS 10's or 9.5's with auto grades of 9's would be a kick right to the junk. If your confident they'll cross over I'd suggest sending in a card or two to start and see how it turns out. Myself, I've never seen or heard of a PSA 10 crossing over and getting a BGS 10.
I've had PSA 10's come back as BGS 9's. But that's as low as I got. I've never had a PSA 10 come back as a BGS 10. I saw 1 person get a BGS 8.5 from a PSA 10. I've bought all my PSA 10's off of eBay. And I've crossed over a lot of PSA 10's, a few SGC 98's and 1 SGC 100. The 1 SGC 100 just barely got a BGS 9.5. I was hoping for a BGS 10. At the very least, I thought that I'd get a 9.5 with 2 10 subgrades and 2 9.5 subgrades. I was really surprised when it came back as having 3 9.5's and 1 9.
I can't speak for the PSA or BGS, but I am pretty sure that if you send anything to SGC to regrade they will almost always knock off at least a half point in grade. I think it may just be each company trying to look like they are the toughest grader. I have sent in both PSA and BVG to SGC to be regraded and they always seem to want to knock a little off the grade.
I've been wondering the same thing. I have a few cards graded by PSA that I would like to get re-graded by BGS. The biggest reason is I like Beckett's cases better and the sub grades break down the grading a bit.
(09-22-2015, 01:02 PM)cspen Wrote: [ -> ]I've been wondering the same thing. I have a few cards graded by PSA that I would like to get re-graded by BGS. The biggest reason is I like Beckett's cases better and the sub grades break down the grading a bit.
I cut them out now before I send them in. PSA was constantly knocking a grade off of my Beckett slabbed cards.
I always broke the PSA 10 slabs before I submitted to BGS so it would be a honest grade. Got a couple of 9.5's and mostly BGS 9's. I did get a couple of 8.5 doing this which really makes PSA look weak imo.
Yesh... thanks for the input everyone. I guess I'll just keep my PSA's in their slabs and either buy my BGS cards off Ebay or try to get a lucky pull.

Seems almost impossible to get a BGS 10 though. Does anyone know exactly what the BGS guidelines are for grading a 10? It would be helpful if we had something like that before spending all that money on shipping and insurance.
(09-22-2015, 03:46 PM)Nintari Wrote: [ -> ]Yesh... thanks for the input everyone. I guess I'll just keep my PSA's in their slabs and either buy my BGS cards off Ebay or try to get a lucky pull.

Seems almost impossible to get a BGS 10 though. Does anyone know exactly what the BGS guidelines are for grading a 10? It would be helpful if we had something like that before spending all that money on shipping and insurance.
You can always get yourself a good jewelers loupe and start inspecting surfaces and edges before submitting.
The Guidelines are on the Grading part of the website.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5