Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Guy walks into my store w 5000 vintage cards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Got a little excited when I first noticed the years.
Box was filled w 67-73 topps & while the 73s were beat up, many of the other years were nice.

Half way through, it dawned on me not a single star was in the entire box. Someone chery picked the entire box and left the junk.

All commons. I offered a fair price but he thought he had a gold mine I guess and didn't take it.
(06-18-2011, 11:37 PM)011873 Wrote: [ -> ]Got a little excited when I first noticed the years.
Box was filled w 67-73 topps & while the 73s were beat up, many of the other years were nice.

Half way through, it dawned on me not a single star was in the entire box. Someone chery picked the entire box and left the junk.

All commons. I offered a fair price but he thought he had a gold mine I guess and didn't take it.
He probably sold the 30 stars that were in that box for a good chunk of change, so figured 5000 of "the same" cards should be a lot more money.
Not surprised. People think today that is they have a baseball card it is worth lots of money.
He more than likely got robbed on the others but it still seemed like a fair amount and now it made your FAIR offer seem bad cause he thought they were all worth that.
I had a similar scenerio happen at the shop I work at. We offered a large sum of money on a common vintage collection and they turned it down. They like you seen what some cards can go for and assumed the player didnt matter and that they had a gold mine.
with how often people at yard sales, estate sales, craigslist, etc are trying to sell their junk 80s-90s cards for hundreds and hundreds of dollars....can't say it really surprises me
Recently had a guy trying to sell me a set of 1991 upper deck for $225. His reasoning is that every card sells for .25 cents and there 800 cards. All I could do is laugh. I told him to check eBay where they sell for $10. He then lower the price to $200. some people are truly idiots.
It brings to light a question I've been considering for a while. I bought a friends collection. Probably close to 100K cards from all sports and ages. After I bought his collection, the collecting bug hit me and I bought tons of new cards. Now I'm thinking (again) of trying to get my arms around just what I have and what to keep. I've been putting any card with a beckett high value over $2.40 in sleeves and plastic and anything over $50 in hard cases. I've seen new cards go up and down in value based on the star and I've read the articles on how once a star is out of the sport, his card prices tend to settle. My question is should I just toss all the commons and keep the stars? Is it worth the headache to try and even sell hundreds if not thousands of commons in bluk?
Hi....isn't it a blast buying big collections....but what do you do with the bulk? just recently I started taking about 2-3 3200 count boxes to a couple of the local auction houses. I generally get about 25-30 bucks for the cards....all commons and semistars...a mix of brands...lot of shiny recent stuff mixed in with 1991 proset....makes room for me...makes somebody happy to go thru what I consider crap, and a few extra bucks for the next big purchase.... check out auctionzip.com for where the auction houses are near you.

(06-24-2011, 06:31 PM)dandsbeck1 Wrote: [ -> ]It brings to light a question I've been considering for a while. I bought a friends collection. Probably close to 100K cards from all sports and ages. After I bought his collection, the collecting bug hit me and I bought tons of new cards. Now I'm thinking (again) of trying to get my arms around just what I have and what to keep. I've been putting any card with a beckett high value over $2.40 in sleeves and plastic and anything over $50 in hard cases. I've seen new cards go up and down in value based on the star and I've read the articles on how once a star is out of the sport, his card prices tend to settle. My question is should I just toss all the commons and keep the stars? Is it worth the headache to try and even sell hundreds if not thousands of commons in bluk?
(06-24-2011, 06:31 PM)dandsbeck1 Wrote: [ -> ]It brings to light a question I've been considering for a while. I bought a friends collection. Probably close to 100K cards from all sports and ages. After I bought his collection, the collecting bug hit me and I bought tons of new cards. Now I'm thinking (again) of trying to get my arms around just what I have and what to keep. I've been putting any card with a beckett high value over $2.40 in sleeves and plastic and anything over $50 in hard cases. I've seen new cards go up and down in value based on the star and I've read the articles on how once a star is out of the sport, his card prices tend to settle. My question is should I just toss all the commons and keep the stars? Is it worth the headache to try and even sell hundreds if not thousands of commons in bluk?
What I normally do is when I get a big enough stash of them, 5-6000, I just take them to Goodwill. You can get a receipt for a tax deduction too if you want to.
I've also taken a good many to the local Children's Hospital.
Pages: 1 2