`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guy walks into my store w 5000 vintage cards

Guy walks into my store w 5000 vintage cards
Got a little excited when I first noticed the years.
Box was filled w 67-73 topps & while the 73s were beat up, many of the other years were nice.

Half way through, it dawned on me not a single star was in the entire box. Someone chery picked the entire box and left the junk.

All commons. I offered a fair price but he thought he had a gold mine I guess and didn't take it.

RE: Guy walks into my store w 5000 vintage cards
(06-18-2011, 11:37 PM)011873 Wrote: Got a little excited when I first noticed the years.
Box was filled w 67-73 topps & while the 73s were beat up, many of the other years were nice.

Half way through, it dawned on me not a single star was in the entire box. Someone chery picked the entire box and left the junk.

All commons. I offered a fair price but he thought he had a gold mine I guess and didn't take it.
He probably sold the 30 stars that were in that box for a good chunk of change, so figured 5000 of "the same" cards should be a lot more money.

Not surprised. People think today that is they have a baseball card it is worth lots of money.
LF:  Kyle Tucker, Ryan Mountcastle, Shane Bieber, Alex Bohm, Joe Ryan, & Dale Murphy

Bad traders: almostbaker, beantownsfinest, thespirit33, GRIFFEY MAN 1

He more than likely got robbed on the others but it still seemed like a fair amount and now it made your FAIR offer seem bad cause he thought they were all worth that.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

I had a similar scenerio happen at the shop I work at. We offered a large sum of money on a common vintage collection and they turned it down. They like you seen what some cards can go for and assumed the player didnt matter and that they had a gold mine.
[Image: celts_reds_bengs_sig.jpg]
WHO-DEY

with how often people at yard sales, estate sales, craigslist, etc are trying to sell their junk 80s-90s cards for hundreds and hundreds of dollars....can't say it really surprises me
Jonny Venters - Super Collector
Overall Collection (113/157 72% Complete)
base/parallels (85/85 100%)
1/1's (28/72 39%)

always looking for venters 1/1's and 2008/2010 low numbered refractors

Recently had a guy trying to sell me a set of 1991 upper deck for $225. His reasoning is that every card sells for .25 cents and there 800 cards. All I could do is laugh. I told him to check eBay where they sell for $10. He then lower the price to $200. some people are truly idiots.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

It brings to light a question I've been considering for a while. I bought a friends collection. Probably close to 100K cards from all sports and ages. After I bought his collection, the collecting bug hit me and I bought tons of new cards. Now I'm thinking (again) of trying to get my arms around just what I have and what to keep. I've been putting any card with a beckett high value over $2.40 in sleeves and plastic and anything over $50 in hard cases. I've seen new cards go up and down in value based on the star and I've read the articles on how once a star is out of the sport, his card prices tend to settle. My question is should I just toss all the commons and keep the stars? Is it worth the headache to try and even sell hundreds if not thousands of commons in bluk?
Dave J.

Collecting current and former Georgia Tech sports stars, Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Ken Griffey Jr., and Albert Pujols

Hi....isn't it a blast buying big collections....but what do you do with the bulk? just recently I started taking about 2-3 3200 count boxes to a couple of the local auction houses. I generally get about 25-30 bucks for the cards....all commons and semistars...a mix of brands...lot of shiny recent stuff mixed in with 1991 proset....makes room for me...makes somebody happy to go thru what I consider crap, and a few extra bucks for the next big purchase.... check out auctionzip.com for where the auction houses are near you.

(06-24-2011, 06:31 PM)dandsbeck1 Wrote: It brings to light a question I've been considering for a while. I bought a friends collection. Probably close to 100K cards from all sports and ages. After I bought his collection, the collecting bug hit me and I bought tons of new cards. Now I'm thinking (again) of trying to get my arms around just what I have and what to keep. I've been putting any card with a beckett high value over $2.40 in sleeves and plastic and anything over $50 in hard cases. I've seen new cards go up and down in value based on the star and I've read the articles on how once a star is out of the sport, his card prices tend to settle. My question is should I just toss all the commons and keep the stars? Is it worth the headache to try and even sell hundreds if not thousands of commons in bluk?

(06-24-2011, 06:31 PM)dandsbeck1 Wrote: It brings to light a question I've been considering for a while. I bought a friends collection. Probably close to 100K cards from all sports and ages. After I bought his collection, the collecting bug hit me and I bought tons of new cards. Now I'm thinking (again) of trying to get my arms around just what I have and what to keep. I've been putting any card with a beckett high value over $2.40 in sleeves and plastic and anything over $50 in hard cases. I've seen new cards go up and down in value based on the star and I've read the articles on how once a star is out of the sport, his card prices tend to settle. My question is should I just toss all the commons and keep the stars? Is it worth the headache to try and even sell hundreds if not thousands of commons in bluk?
What I normally do is when I get a big enough stash of them, 5-6000, I just take them to Goodwill. You can get a receipt for a tax deduction too if you want to.
I've also taken a good many to the local Children's Hospital.
[Image: Evil_Dead2.gif]