Beckett Message Boards
OT: Quitting smoking - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: OT: Quitting smoking (/thread-1475163.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: OT: Quitting smoking - shezdoni - 01-17-2012

Here is the best advice your going to get; I quit smoking 3 years ago, so I know how difficult it is

Go buy some tootsie pops or those little dum dum lollipops, anytime you feel like you need a cig stick one of those in your mouth,

basically breaking the normal routine that comes with smoking, is the hardest thing about quitting, if there is someplace in your house that you always went to smoke, don't go there for about 2 weeks, same thing with work, when you do feel like you need a cig, substitute it with a lollipop, some people say gum works I disagree, having that little lollipop stick between your lips does a lot in calming the urges, because it actually feels like a cig is there.

If someone is smoking around you, ask them to please stop, then explain that your trying to quit, you will be surprised at how many smokers are willing to stop smoking around you, and will even ask for advice on how to quit.

And one last important thing, no matter how long you have quit, no matter how long it has been since you had your last cig, there are going to be days, when you will get into a situation, where you will feel you need a cig, especially a stressful situation, be strong and don't give in, quitting a second time is harder than the first, I haven't smoked in 3 years, and I still get the need to have one once in a while, that is where the lollipops come in handy as well.

If you have kids, instead of having a smoking break, have a lollipop break with them, trust me, that makes it all the more worthwhile in quitting Smile

RE: OT: Quitting smoking - evolb909 - 01-17-2012

Good luck, you're doing the right thing for yourself and your family. I mean the one thing we all know about cigs is they are guaranteed to kill you eventually. I quit cold turkey on the day after my birthday back in 2000 and it took me a good 2 weeks but I've never looked back. I had some good people around me for moral support ( and "punching bags") and after 1 1/2 weeks the physical urge was gone. Keep up the good work. You'll feel better, smell better, and living longer is always nice as well!

RE: OT: Quitting smoking - devils2thedeath2010 - 01-17-2012

Good to hear, never was much for tobacco but i've been "THC FREE" after being a 5 year "Burnout". Smile

Hope you accomplish your goal buddy, stay strong!!

RE: OT: Quitting smoking - kelbysdaddy - 01-17-2012

I had my last smoke12/11. it sucks alot!! I used the nicotine gum and alot of sunflower seeds. It does get better, i assure you.

RE: OT: Quitting smoking - petesahuttt - 01-17-2012

I've been quitting myself on and off for the last 2 years. Currently at 2 weeks Smile I use the patch and on occasion the Camel Snus and that seems to do the trick until I get home and start working that's when it gets tougher for me.
Good luck!

RE: OT: Quitting smoking - phillies816 - 01-17-2012

Keep up the good work. I quit smoking and was on here taking jabs at people because of the nicotine fits. It really was hell for a couple of days but WELL worth it. Now it's to the point where I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke period and have no cravings for one.
(01-17-2012, 01:45 AM)devils2thedeath2010 Wrote: Good to hear, never was much for tobacco but i've been "THC FREE" after being a 5 year "Burnout". Smile

Hope you accomplish your goal buddy, stay strong!!

Just quit that too and that was also tough. Been just a week now but feeling better than I have in years. I no longer drink or smoke anything and it's amazing how much extra money I have to spend on other more useful things

RE: OT: Quitting smoking - 23isit - 01-17-2012

2 years on New Years eve for me. Still get the urge just not as hard. You CAN do it and will if it's really what you want to do. As mentioned Lollipops were big for me also. Good luck.

RE: OT: Quitting smoking - sonnyday - 01-17-2012

Quitting is easy, I've done it hundreds of times! Jokes aside.....I need to quit, expensive and bad for my body. Good luck!

RE: OT: Quitting smoking - slufan83 - 01-17-2012

I've never smoked, so I can't imagine how hard it would be to quit. But stick with it and in the long run you'll be much better off! You can do it man!

RE: OT: Quitting smoking - iujapander - 01-17-2012

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It is a B, but almost 48 hours. Feeling a little bit better today, but I did buy some of the nicotine gum, and it has helped with the cravings. Lollipops have also been very nice as it kind of uses the same motion as smoking.

Staying busy has been the best bet, and it helps that I got a huge order from COMC today, and some trades, so busy scanning tonight.

I think the main thing is that I want to quit, and am determined to do it. Without that this would never work.

Did I mention that it still sucks! Smile