Your Turn (BSCM Rookies Issue): If you could own one perfect BGS/BVG 10 Rookie Card, what would it be?

Share:

BVGrickey

By Chris Olds | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor

There’s been one card firmly on my collecting radar of late — and it’s a Rookie Card that I have gone on record a few times as being a perfect card.

And yet I — and many others — can’t find a perfect copy.

There have been 3,959 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson RCs go through Beckett Grading Services through the years and there’s not been a single BVG 10 on the pop reportBeyond that, just seven have made a 9.5 slab. (I’m down in the 8.5 and lower territory, myself.)

Sadly, none of the four I’ve picked up raw in the last month or so will make that cut, either, but that’s life and it got me thinking that my present obsession with this card may make for a perfect Your Turn page in the upcoming Rookies Issue of Beckett Sports Card Monthly.

We have a simple question for you, and we’ll run a selection of the best answers in the upcoming issue as long as you leave your name and location in the comments below.

If you could own just one perfect BGS/BVG 10 Rookie Card (any sport), what would it be?

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

Share:

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

100 comments

1. Kevin 13 August, 2013 at 14:12

Tough one…

Like Jason I was thinking a ’68 Nolan Ryan would be cool just because of what the card means as a collector.

I think I would ultimately go for a 1975 Goergoe Brett. As a kid and even now that card still personfies what a great baseball card should be.

A ’71 Mean Joe Greene would be a close second.

2. Nate 13 August, 2013 at 14:13

I would love to own a 1984-85 Star John Stockton XRC..forget Jordan, I’m a Utah boy!
    Nathan Goleman- Salt Lake City, Utah

3. Michael 13 August, 2013 at 14:21

It’s not the most valuable, but he’s my favorite player. I would take either the Regular or Mini version of 1975 Topps George Brett. I saw him in Chicago and was hoping he’s hit a home run. My dad tells his 13 year old son that he isn’t a power hitter. George proceeds to hit two out that day (Aug 26, 1986)

4. Crackin Wax 13 August, 2013 at 14:26

If I had to choose just one Perfect 10 rookie card, it would be Harmon Killebrew’s for my Twins PC. Many names come to mind when thinking about the Twins; Carew, Oliva, Puckett, Hrbek, Mauer; but just one name in Twins history can mingle with great MLB names like Aaron, Jackson and Ruth. You don’t even have to be a Twins fan or collector to know of and respect The Killer. That’s why, above all else, his Perfect 10 rookie card would be a must-have for a Twins collector like myself.

Topher
    CrackinWax
    Twin Cities, MN

5. Brandon 13 August, 2013 at 14:31

Michael jordan rookie Groinf up around Chicago during the time he played he was my favorite player and still is I would cherish that card for life if getting didn’t give me a heart attack and kill me first

6. Larry Robidoux 13 August, 2013 at 14:59

With all the cards in my mind while reading this the 1 that keeps creeping back into my head is a 1955 Bowman. I already have a copy of this card but it is in really bad shape. I bought this card with a few others back in early 90’s. The other cards were part of the small batch of cards I could call the Best cards in my collection. Aaron/Larsen were a couple of the names in this batch. While living in Florida I moved into a nice place on the beachside of Daytona Beach and had all my cards in the garage until I could move everything in. One day while I was going thru these cards I noticed something wrong and took a closer look and with a tear in my eye I saw that they had gotten wet from the roof leaking right above them in the garage. I still have the card and it is still my favorite card but I would love to have a BGS Pristine 10 Willie Mays to set next to my old/beat up/previously wet 1955 Bowman Willie Mays

7. Erik 13 August, 2013 at 15:00

Of course the 52 Mantle $ wise. But personally it’d be awesome to own the one and only ’81 Joe Montana BGS 10.

8. Larry Robidoux 13 August, 2013 at 15:03

OK so that was my fault and sorry for not making it a rookie card. But I still want that card..

9. Brent Legendre 13 August, 2013 at 15:07

My dream bgs 10 card would be the 72 Topps Roger Staubach. My favorite Cowboy of all time.

10. Davidinark 13 August, 2013 at 15:30

Truthfully, an Indians player. Specifically, though, I would say Larry Doby, Nap Lajoie, or Bob Feller. Actually, of those three, I’d say Doby for the historical significance. So, Doby for the win.

11. Mark Beckwith from Sacramento, CA 13 August, 2013 at 16:00

Without a doubt 1000% my holy grail and the one card I would absolutely love to have the only pristine copy of would be the 1981 Topps Joe Montana rookie card. Hands down the greatest quarterback of my youth and I grew up in the Bay Area to boot.

12. Robert 13 August, 2013 at 16:04

I have to go with a 1957 Topps Bart Starr rookie card. The Packers were lousy as I grew up in the ’80s, so I occupied my time reading about the exploits of Starr and the Packers of the ’60s.

13. Matt 13 August, 2013 at 16:21

It’s probably not fair to say Mantle’s RC because then I could sell it any buy anything I wanted, so I’ll go with Harmon Killebrew’s RC

14. wheeler281 13 August, 2013 at 16:44

The Lynn Swann 75 topps rookie.. Being a Steeler fan that is just an iconic card for me. I started getting into collecting around that age(5) and that was a must have and still is for any Steeler fan regardless of grade or age of fan

15. Toby 13 August, 2013 at 16:45

1951 Bowman Willie Mays. It is the best card of the best baseball player ever! Just ask Mr. Mays, he’ll tell you it’s true.

16. David Johnson 13 August, 2013 at 16:51

I would love a 1975 Topps Gary Carter rookie in Pristine 10. There hasn’t even been a 9.5 yet, so to see a 10 would be phenomenal. I have seen a PSA10 version of the card, but I’m not convinced it would translate over to a BGS 9.5 let alone a 10.

17. Chris Schulte 13 August, 2013 at 17:15

I would definitely want the 1989 Bowman Tiffany of Ken Griffey Jr. So hard to find it centered!

18. Tim 13 August, 2013 at 17:26

1955 Topps Roberto Clemente rookie. As a kid growing up in Pittsburgh, my Dad always told me how good Clemente was and that he wished I could see him play in person. When I see his highlights, I agree with my Dad, Clemente was a special player and an even greater person off of it. I have the card, but graded MUCH lower than a 10.

19. Tracy 13 August, 2013 at 17:43

I would have to say an 88 Fleer Reggie Miller. With over 650 different Millers, I have yet to see a BGS RC grade so high. I have seen a PSA, but feel they don’t look at the centering as harshly as BGS, and that problem hit that set HARD! I have looked into getting a PSA 9 and polling the dice with BGS and possibly getting at least a 9.5.

20. Charles Burrell 13 August, 2013 at 18:27

I could say a Mickey Mantle or a Lou Gehrig but I know I will never have one of there cards.

I have been collecting Pat Burrell cards since I saw a box of Salvinos Bammers (in 1999 I think) that could possibly contain a Pat Burrell Bammer Bear. I bought all the boxes and ended up with a few Burrells. Since we had the same last name I thought it would be really cool.

Since then I have amassed between 4 and 5 thousand Pat Burrell cards. A true player collector. I have autographs, jerseys, bats, 1 of 1’s, etc.

The one thing I don’t have is a Pat Burrell BGS Pristine 10 Rookie card. I have a few 9.5’s but no 10’s.

Still collecting Pat and probably will for the rest of my life!

Thanks

21. Cory Furlong 13 August, 2013 at 19:03

BGS 10 Rookie Card I would most like is 1982 Red Lobster Ryne Sandberg. It is Rynos first Chicago Cub card and predates his Topps, Donruss and Fleer rookie cards.

22. dena17 13 August, 2013 at 19:10

Being a true baseball fanatic, it would be easy to say a Mantle, Aaron, or Clemente. But if i had to pick one purely out of love of the player and desire for the card, i would have to say a 1985-86 OPC Mario Lemieux RC. The OPC cards are next to impossible to find without rough edges, and i will go toe to toe with anyone who wants to argue that Super Mario was not the greatest player in NHL history!

23. Ed Brown 13 August, 2013 at 19:17

I am a hockey fan and my choice would be The Great One! Wayne Gretzky…….1979/80 Topps or OPC……would be amazing!

24. Richard 13 August, 2013 at 19:18

Hmm. Mine. Showing me signing a contract ala Ted Williams for big bucks.
    Much as I like collecting cards, I’d rather have the skills to actually Play the game.
    Then I could take whatever I earned and by a bit of everything.

25. Michael Lukehart 13 August, 2013 at 19:49

I would hose John Elway RC. I always loved seeing him make that comeback in the last 2 minutes.

26. Doug N 13 August, 2013 at 21:01

Derek Jeter 1993 SP. I’ve submitted probably 10 of these things and have 2 high grade 9s and a bunch of 8.5s in return, but no gem or pristine. This is the only Jeter rookie that I don’t have in a 9.5.

27. Bruce Katto 13 August, 2013 at 21:14

For this long time (since I was 7 in 1970) Football and Baseball Card collector it’s an easy question to answer. The Card that has eluded my collecting budget my whole life….1965 Topps Joe Namath. One day I tell you…one day.

28. Chris Levy 13 August, 2013 at 21:29

I’d just like to point out that almost none of these card would receive a BGS 10; they’d receive a BVG 10.

29. Michael Rukavina 13 August, 2013 at 21:40

It would have to be a Pristine 1981 Joe Montana. A living legend. Baseball would be a Mays RC for old and Trout Auto gold ref Grade 10/10.

30. Caleb Marx 13 August, 2013 at 23:34

its obviosley the 1909-1911 t206 honus wagner. that would be worth like $100 million plus!

31. Vaughn Lamore 14 August, 2013 at 00:23

Its the Topps 1963 Pete Rose Rookie is my all time want and desire bar none! One of the TOP players to ever grace the game yet ohhh how the mighty have fallen from the pedestal and the tragic story to follow from having everything to nearly losing it all and still to this day he’s on the outside looking in alll on account of an addiction sad to see where he once stood only to be banned for good!

P.S. I don’t mind if this is publised to Beckett’s website however if were to show up in a Google search with my name attached then I rather it didn’t get published. The NSA and other government entities don’t need to know what I”m doing! THankyou, _____V.

32. Nathan Crandell 14 August, 2013 at 11:43

I am not a basketball card fan, but I salivate whenever I see a Michael Jordan XRC Fleer. I also get almost equally excited every time I see a Hank Aaron RC.

But if I was faced with a decision between the two, I would have to say a Michael Jordan RC at a perfect 10 would be my choice.

33. Nick Mikulicich 14 August, 2013 at 15:11

BGS 10 (as opposed to BVG 10) has to be post-1980, so I’ll join the others who pick ’86 Fleer Michael Jordan.

34. Derek Bell 14 August, 2013 at 15:41

1993 Derek Jeter SP Foil would be my first choice (And I’m a diehard Red Sox fan). 1985 Topps Mark McGwire USA card would be my second choice.

35. David Panopoulos 14 August, 2013 at 15:43

Dream card would be a 1985-86 OPC Mario Lemieux rookie card! Would help with my ultimate collection! My current Mario would probably score 2.

36. coffeyfan 14 August, 2013 at 17:38

The question still stands,do you collect for love or money? I personally would go for a 2002 Topps Total Todd Coffey, not for any value but for the love of the player. I still would enjoy having a BGS 10 ’52 Topps Mickey Mantle the same as everyone else but am happy collecting my favorite nobody.

37. Robert Braxton 21 August, 2013 at 20:11

1978 Eddie Murray, ……… because ……….
    by 1985, I had bought my first Beckett (pocket guide) and low -and-behold, I already owned this card worth DOUBLE DIGITS, …. $13.00 WHOLE dollars.

I don’t have it anymore, no doubt it had rounded corners, but I surely don’t remember.
    I did however, restart my collection back in 2008 with this very card, this time I bought it in what eventually would be graded BVG 9.
    My favorite (and ever looking to get the next higher-grade version of it.)

Robert Braxton
    Plano, TX

38. Yankees4671 22 August, 2013 at 10:43

For me, it would the the ’63 Pete Rose.

Rickey loves Rickey. Pete loves Pete. We know Barry loves Barry. (Should be Hank but what can you do.)
    I think Nolan loves Nolan but he does not show it.

Most All-Time leaders did it clean (except Barry) & they should love themselves & their accomplishments.

Nice suprise to see so many George Brett rookies in the responses.

39. Steve 26 August, 2013 at 15:46

I owned a 2000 SP Authentic Tom Brady BGS 10 and had to sell it a few years ago. I’d love to get one back someday. I also like the BVG 10 1966 Bobby Orr that pops up for sale from time to time. If I had to pick just one, I guess I would go with a 1939 Play Ball Ted Williams, or a 1915 Sporting News Babe Ruth (obviously, I’m a Boston fan).