What’s on your want list? Tell us right here …

Share:

Want List

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor | Commentary

I’ve had a collecting void for nearly seven years now, and I was reminded of it this past weekend when I dug out one of my many Nick Swisher boxes to snap a few photos and make a feeble attempt at organizing my collection.

It’s not something I have lost any sleep over, but it’s a challenge that I’d like to finish. It’s been on hold since I found two of the four cards I need within the same week or two back in 2008.

And then nothing since.

My lone card that has gone missing is one of the four printing plates of my favorite player from the 2006 Topps Allen & Ginter set, a brand that probably established itself as one of my favorites upon its arrival all those years ago.

My missing card? The magenta printing plate.

It’s possible that this one-of-a-kind card came and went on eBay and I missed it — maybe even before I owned these three. Or, perhaps it’s sitting inside an unopened wax box that has a $200-plus price tag somewhere. Or, maybe it’s sitting in someone’s collection and they’ll see this.

This collecting conundrum is one that many people undoubtedly face all the time — and my glaring example prompted me to try this post, which is something I have been meaning to do for a long time.

Do you have a card that you can’t find? Post it here in the comments. Perhaps this will become a hub for those with wants and needs if they don’t use Beckett Organize or Trade.

You never know who might have the card you need — we’re here to help.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter @chrisolds2009.

Share:

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

11 comments

1. Jeff Guinn 9 April, 2015 at 10:00

It’s not a single card, but rather several cards, and I can never seem to find any of them. Looking for the 2013 Panini Prominence auto letter patches for TBray, JHunter, and CPatterson (go vols). Much like you, I’m thinking these are still tucked away in some sealed boxes somewhere. Or maybe someone reading these comments will have some they would like to part with!

2. Mark Beckwith 9 April, 2015 at 10:49

The main card that stocks out in my mind is from 2012 Topps Strata Football. I put together the Blue Clear Cut (/75) auto set minus one card that I have never seen with own eyes prompting me to think it doesn’t exist. I have all the major players, the only card that eludes me is the Chris Givens. I’ve seen every other version/parallel except the blue version, maybe someday I’ll find it.

3. The Card Investor 9 April, 2015 at 14:18

7 years is nothing. I’ve been searching for a card since 2001. To be fair, it is the last one in an insert set I’ve been putting together, and I’ve only been down to this last card for the past 3 or 4 years. The card in question comes from the 2001 Absolute Memorabilia Home Opener Souvinirs Home Run parallel to 25. It’s a 50 card set and this particular parallel displays 3 ‘swatches’ of a home opener used base along with a piece of game used baseball. The only card I’m missing out of the 50 is the #OD42 Barry Bonds card. The 2001 season was a special season both in the hobby and in the annals of the MLB and I was drawn to this set ever since I pulled the first one in my collection back in 2001 and I’ve been trying to complete the set since.

4. Travis Leflar 9 April, 2015 at 15:23

2007 SP Authentic By The Letter Dontrelle Willis Gold & Silver Ink Autographs that spells out FLORIDA MARLINS. I have a few of them of each but want to complete the set. Contact me on twitter if you have any of them.

For the Gold Ink autographs #d/20 I need: “L” x 2, “O”, “R”, “I”, “S”

For the Silver In #d/25 I actually only have the letters “I” & “L” so need all of them basically lol.

Thanks everyone for the potential help and always Collect Hard!!!

5. Jeremy 9 April, 2015 at 15:58

1999 Skybox Autographics Shawn Bryson from the NFL set. It is listed in the Beckett checklist among others but I have yet to even see an image of it online, which is surprising. I’ve been looking for it for almost 5 years and I’m starting to doubt the card even exists.

6. steve emerick 9 April, 2015 at 21:10

chris im sorry i only have elijah dukes plate, id give you the swisher if i had it

im workign on th case hit minis from 2013 and 2014 down to 14

7. J.R. 10 April, 2015 at 14:27

Chris, I’m in your boat. I have 3 of the 4 2004 SPx Football Printing Plates of Matt Ware. Still looking for the black plate. Paying $100 for it!

8. Shane 13 April, 2015 at 13:32

I’m looking for a few 2013 Topps Votto cards to complete my rainbow – a 2013 Topps factory orange parallel, a 2013 Topps Chrome camo parallel, a 2013 Topps Chrome pink parallel and a 2013 Topps Chrome atomic parallel.

9. brandon 14 April, 2015 at 12:09

I am a buster posey collector. and I feel you Chris, I just started back up after looking at my stuff a couple of months ago.

10. Robert Braxton 15 April, 2015 at 22:33

Vintage collector of HOF’rs, (to finish off my post -1951 Topps HOF collection), need:
    1953 Johnny Mize BVG 5 or better
    1958 Bob Lemon BVG 5 or better
    1959 Enos Slaughter BVG 5 or better
    1962 Early Wynn BVG 6 or better

and finally, a 1957 or 1969 Mickey Mantle (but I’m saving that for last, particularly because it’s going to cost me a ‘pretty-penny’.

Then I can finally focus on pre-1952 HOF cards (of which I already have Boudreau, Foxx, and a Goslin).

11. Joseph Morgan 19 April, 2015 at 22:43

I’ve been trying to put together the 2001 Playoff Contenders football set since it came out. I had most of it put together except for two cards, Michael Vick and Quincy Carter. When Vick had his legal issues, I was able to pick it up for less than $90. So for the past 4 years, I’ve been trying to obtain a nice, clean Quincy “freaking” Carter auto RC. So if any of you have it, and don’t mind parting with it, I’m sure we can work something out.