Topps releases details on Gold Rush wrapper redemption

Share:

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

Ok, all you cardboard 49ers … the 2012 Topps Gold Rush rules have been declared.

Eight days before the arrival of its flagship baseball card set for 2012, Topps has unveiled the details of its Gold Rush wrapper redemption program, and it’s one that won’t last long.

For every 50 hobby wrappers — or 14 HTA jumbo wrappers — that a collector sends in to the company, they will receive a five-card pack of Gold Rush cards.

The 50-card set will include Willie Mays, Adrian Gonzalez, Sandy Koufax, Nelson Cruz, Albert Pujols, Albert Belle and Dennis Eckersley among others — and there will be autographs randomly included — but here’s the catch.

All wrappers must be postmarked by Feb. 29, 2012 — just 28 days after the product’s arrival. All others will be turned away goldless.

Wrappers should be sent to:

Gold Rush
PO Box 2008
Duryea, PA 18642

According to the company, collectors can send their wrappers all in one package. Packs will be fulfilled until supplies are exhausted.

Share:

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

25 comments

1. Bobby 24 January, 2012 at 16:03

How about getting my redemptions from 2011 Bowman Platinum Baseball first? 5 months and still waiting! I will never buy anything with redemptions in it. How long will it take to get these Gold Rush cards? You might get a response from Topps, saying “the player has not signed anything yet. Please wait.

There needs to be a new Hobby law. “NO REDEMPTIONS”

Did I mention, I don’t like redemptions.

2. Albert Pujols 24 January, 2012 at 18:35

Let me speak for us major leaguers… Redemptions autographs kill us!!! NO MORE REDEMPTIONS!!!

3. steve-o 24 January, 2012 at 18:59

sorry to break the news to you Bobby (and ALL collectors)……but Topps could give a s*** what we all like !!! They have not been listening since Fred Flinstone roamed the earth and probably wont be changing their company philosophy anytime soon

4. Michael Poyma 24 January, 2012 at 19:41

So I’m expecting two HTA boxes, totaling 20 packs, and my math skills tell me that I’ll use 14 to get the 5-pack, leaving me with……hey! That means I’ll have to somehow buy another 8 jumbo packs. Great.

5. David Johnson 25 January, 2012 at 09:55

Interesting quantity of packs required, as it requires one to buy more than 1 box, but also leaves you extra wrappers if you buy 2 boxes. I guess they are hoping that this will mean people will buy hobby packs and not just boxes. I wonder how many empty wrappers will end up on eBay.

6. John P 25 January, 2012 at 12:19

Topps is still using the wagon and carriage method of getting product from them.

1. Spend your cash on their product

2. Collect 50 wrappers

3. Pay postage

4. Go to PO

5. Question if they recieved them

6. Call or write 2 months later asking where your cards are

7. Never receive anything

8. Write back

9. Customer service asks if you sent them registered mail

10. Say no because it costs 22 bucks from Canada

11. Receive nothing.

7. chrisolds 25 January, 2012 at 17:15

Steve-o: Why is it you’re so negative on here compared to your polite emails?

Again, redemptions are often because players fail to fulfill their contracts …

8. Dan C. 26 January, 2012 at 05:53

Ok, pointless redemption argument aside….Topps is an evil genius with this one. I had planned on only buying one HTA box. Now I’ll probably end up buying another 4 packs for the sole purpose of getting this one pack of gold cards which will probably yield 5 bucks worth of cards. But really doesn’t series one always sell extremely well? Does Topps really need to require an odd number of wrappers to sell more product faster?

9. Steve 2 February, 2012 at 12:29

Hey, I’m just starting back into this hobby…. does anyone know if wrappers from retail blasters are eligible for the wrapper redemptions? Thanks!

10. Shawn 4 February, 2012 at 23:17

Atleast with topps when you get a redemption it doesnt count towards the total hits of the box. For instance I got a redemption in tribute but it was a bonus hit, so heres the kicker, it didnt bother me nearly as much when i got that wonderful email 16 weeks later notifying me the player didnt sign yet. As for panini the redemption counts as the hit in the box. Topps is the lesser of two evils.

11. Phil 8 February, 2012 at 13:13

I bought 4 hobby boxes plus one jumbo, so therefore I would only get two packs…since I can send all the wrappers in one setting, I’m gonna send in all my wrappers and hope that Topps will take pity on me and send me the third pack anyway…can’t hurt.

12. Phil 8 February, 2012 at 13:16

Maybe they will take pity on me since my account got hacked last year and I lost all my cards in their silver promotion…haha.

13. JIM BJORKE 8 February, 2012 at 16:39

STILL WAITING, GAVE UP A LONG TIME AGO ACTUALLY, FOR MY 2 REDEMPTIONS FROM 2010 TOPPS CHROME HOBBY BASEBALL WRAPPERS!! THAT’S LIKE A YEAR AND A HALF AGO…..

14. Cory Sedlock 11 February, 2012 at 07:21

I had no trouble with my Topps Chrome pack redemption last. I sent them in on the last day they could be postmarked and received my packs rather promptly. I was very happy because I didn’t know there was a redemption until the owner of my local card shop told me. I was just grateful for the added value.

15. Shane Dixon 17 February, 2012 at 21:51

Good news guys! I’m not sure if a fluke or what but I sent my wrappers in on Saturday Feb 9 and received my pack today Feb 17 less than a week, I too have had many problems with redemptions in the past and also hate them! Maybe just maybe this is a turning point but I think more of a miracle or Topps messed up lol but anyway good luck to everyone else!

16. David Coleman 8 March, 2012 at 23:49

I have about 10000++ topps cards and 50 wrappers that are no good…..
    such a short time

17. Don Koch 14 March, 2012 at 03:29

As long as the product is still on the shelves for sale and topps
    has made there profit I think the time period should be extended
    Thanks