Topps readies Kris Bryant Rookie Cards

Share:

Bryant2015Topps

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

With Kris Bryant‘s arrival finally here in a game batting cleanup for the Chicago Cubs in Wrigley Field, that finally means his first official MLB Rookie Cards get the green light.

Topps detailed its plans for Bryant RCs on Friday, and it will all start with his standard Rookie Cards in Topps Archives and Finest — short-printed cards — and Topps Series 2, which arrives in June. Tier One will have redemptions for a Bryant auto when it arrives on May 20, while Finest will have a rookie auto as well.

Bryant’s previously planned prospect cards (standard and autos) will continue to arrive with Bowman on April 29. For the releases going forward in July and August, he will have Rookie Cards and autographs — brands there include Stadium Club, Allen & Ginter and Topps Chrome.

Bryant was Baseball America‘s Minor League Player of the Year last season after he hit .325 with 43 homers and 110 RBI in 138 games last season between Double-A Tennessee and Triple-A Iowa. He hit .425 this spring with nine homers and 12 RBI in 14 games and hit .321 with three homers and 10 RBI in seven minor-league games after he was sent down to start this season.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at colds@beckett.com. Follow him on Twitter @chrisolds2009.

Share:

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

7 comments

1. Jason 17 April, 2015 at 16:56

Is it just me, or do the cards this year look like they were photoshopped to look like they are computer generated Iimages rather than photos? I’m not impressed with the images this year.

2. Matt F. 17 April, 2015 at 19:41

Is the intended meaning that the Archives and Finest RCs would be short prints and Series 2 would not be? Or that Series 2 would be short printed as well?

3. Beckett User 19 April, 2015 at 11:27

I do not like the picture of Bryant they chose for this mock up. I hope they use a different picture because this one looks awkward. The picture is too close up and so much background is out of the picture, makes it look weird.

4. Jonathan W. Iwanski 19 April, 2015 at 19:46

How many RCs will Topps’ companies have for Bryant? 25? 50? 100? They’ll obviously flood the market and make people chase them all.

5. andrew 20 April, 2015 at 12:50

after reading the comments thus far, i just felt i should complain, and say nothing of substance.

6. RJ 20 April, 2015 at 14:33

For the love of man I hope they do not SP the Series 2 card, like they did for Bryce Harper. It screwed up the average collector’s chance at buying a solo box or blaster and pulling a nice, affordable RC. There are plenty of other high-dollar releases that Topps can do all the SP/auto/jersey/superfractor crap it wants to, so leave base Topps alone! And if they don’t, no, I will not be buying any Series 2 to chase the SP, nor will I be buying any Update to chase the “RCs” that aren’t really RCs (like they pulled with Harper in 2012 Update).

7. phillies_joe 21 April, 2015 at 11:53

I agree with RJ on a SP in Topps S2…..not really fair to the average and or lower end collector. I’m more upset that they will be putting a RC in Archives (a junk gimmicky product that serves no purpose whatsoever IMO). I won’t chase his cards, but maybe I’ll get lucky and hit a nice low # parallel as I work on my yearly Topps flagship set.

I actually like the card shown above