Topps Launching Baseball Card NFTs

Share:

Baseball cards are about to hit the blockchain. Topps announced their first set of MLB NFT cards, digital cards that are minted as part of the Worldwide Asset Exchange (WAX) blockchain.

The first set of Topps MLB NFTs uses images from 2021 Topps Series 1. Launching on Tuesday, April 20 at 1 PM EST, there are two different pack types:

• Standard Packs – 6 cards, $10 each, 50,000 packs available
  • Premium Packs – 45 cards, $100 each, 24,090 packs available

Similar to physical cards, rarity comes into play making some of the NFT cards more scarce than others. In total, there are ten different card types and rarities ranging from Common to Legendary. In many ways, these are like parallels of physical baseball cards.

As for the cards themselves, some take advantage of being digital by adding motion elements not typically available on physical baseball cards.

What Are NFTs?

NFT is the short and easy way to say “non-fungible token.” At their essence, NFTs are digital collectibles. While they may not exist in a physical form like a traditional trading card, they do become part of someone’s collection.

Connected to blockchain technology, this gives NFTs a level of security and authenticity much like ownership of a physical object. Being on the blockchain also track’s the item’s history and chain of ownership.

Each individual NFT is unique on its own, although, like something printed, there can be multiple copies in a larger run.

Rather than pages and monster boxes, NFTs on the WAX platform are stored in a digital wallet. They can be bought and sold through the platform as well.

NFTs have seen a lot of growth in recent months. In sports it has been most notable in NBA Top Shot. Instead of traditional trading cards, these NFTs come in the form of “Moments,” short video highlights.

Not only has Top Shot become popular, but it quickly established a major secondary market presence with some selling for thousands or even hundreds of thousands.

The Difference NFT Cards and Digital Topps BUNT Cards

Topps has been making digital cards for years in its apps like BUNT. But NFTs are different. BUNT cards aren’t connected to blockchain technology so collectors have a copy of a card, not something that’s individual and unique.

There’s also no buying and selling marketplace for these digital cards. Collectors can trade in the app and some do sell on places like eBay, but it’s not official. There is the potential for collectors to be taken advantage of if they buy a digital BUNT card and the seller fails to deliver it.

Other Topps NFTs

This isn’t the first time that Topps and WAX have partnered on an NFT project. They’ve already done multiple Garbage Pail Kids series.

Topps recently did a Godzilla NFT set, which coincided with the release of Godzilla vs. Kong.

As for other sports card-related NFTs, Panini has released many for their sports. Some are sold directly while others are part of traditional sports card releases included as digital redemptions.

TagsNFT
Share:

Ryan Cracknell

A collector for much of his life, Ryan focuses primarily on building sets, Montreal Expos and interesting cards. He's also got one of the most comprehensive collections of John Jaha cards in existence (not that there are a lot of them). Got a question, story idea or want to get in touch? You can reach him by email and through Twitter @tradercracks.

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

9 comments

1. John Bissell 12 April, 2021 at 13:02

I really do not understand the appeal of this aspect of the hobby, but hey, everyone’s got their thing!

2. goblue98 13 April, 2021 at 08:59

@John. I was going to basically say the same thing. I do not get the draw of the digital cards, and have always preferred the physical aspect of looking at them, but to each their own.

3. Keys 7 May, 2021 at 01:36

physical collectors will fight this but the NFT creates free market and connects thousands of buyers and sellers around the world within seconds.

I am excited by these developments, its a chance for millennials to be first :)

4. Seth 30 June, 2021 at 11:06

Keys maybe so. But it posdibly devaluates physical cards in a company that went public, based on physical card values. So that is scary and confusing to me.

5. Jason Rogers 19 July, 2021 at 03:47

I have a question somehow all my topps cards got erased. I can’t remember how to log into my account I know the username was stop & shop sports but I can’t figure out everything else I’ve been contacting the people and they have not contact me back yet but I’m hoping somebody can resolve this or help me and leave me in the right direction to get logged back into my account

6. Jason 3 September, 2021 at 09:10

I fought this at first but after deciding to give it a shot, have noticed legit pros and cons.

On the physical card ‘pro’ side is the tactile feel of holding physical property. A “jersey” card has actually material. Secondly, there is an inherent feel of security knowing the card is in your physical possession… however…

The physical hobby has its very real risks as well. Many people have counterfeit singles in their collection and don’t even know it. Secondly, the grading of cards is wrought with uncertainty as well. I personally own psa 9 RC cards that are decidedly better than 10’s I’ve seen (clearly superior corners, edges and centering). And lastly are population reports. Can we trust these anymore? With so many collectors breaking their slabs to resubmit or cross-submit, the stated numbers are not accurate (especially for high profile cards) .

On the digital side, I once questioned whether I could truly feel a sense of ownership with a digital card. I can report that after 4 months I very much do have that sense. Additionally, the act of trading cards is something usually reserved for shows, but in the digital sphere, I trade more in a week than I have my entire 30 year history with physical singles (and trading is the lifeblood of the hobby). A third pro on the digital side is that population numbers are perfect. Since its all databased we know exactly how many exist in the world to the second…. and are able to offer trades instantaneously to anyone (24 hours per day) And finally, as the article points out… digital cards can incorporate video and other very cool motion elements (even simulating refractor shine and prism movement).

All in all, I love the accessibility of the digital space and it has rekindled my passion for the hobby (something I would have thought impossible being a physical card purist until I tried the alternative).

For what its worth.