Topps Extends MLB Baseball Card Exclusive Through 2025

Share:

Topps and Major League Baseball are sticking with their exclusive global baseball card deal through 2025. This comes after a previous extension that ran through 2020.

Topps has been the lone company making MLB baseball cards since 2010.

The company’s history with baseball cards can be traced back decades. They’re flagship baseball line has been running continuously since 1952 (1951 if you count the original game-style release).

“Topps vibrantly remains a part of the baseball lexicon that conjures images so many of us have cherished,” said Noah Garden, MLB Executive Vice President, Commerce. “They have re-invigorated the trading card business with innovative products such as Topps Now.”

862 Houston Astros

Since their last extension, with the high-end sphere already established, the on-demand realm has been where much of the hobby’s evolution has come. Besides Topps Now, there has been several smaller online-only releases like Throwback Thursday and this year’s debut of The Living Set.

“We constantly look for new ways to bring joy and excitement to baseball fans whether they have been collecting for decades or just starting out. Our exclusive MLB license gives us the opportunity to continue as the category leader,” said David Leiner, Topps Global General Manager of Sports & Entertainment.

Besides baseball, the three other key sports in the hobby — basketball, football and hockey — are all under exclusive card deals. Panini has deals for football and basketball (plus the NCAA and NASCAR) while Upper Deck is the lone company with the NHL.

Does the extension of Topps’ MLB deal impact how you collect or will collect going forward? Let us know in the comments below or on Twitter.

Share:

13 comments

1. Kerry 12 July, 2018 at 11:56

For the past couple of years I have been buying Donruss and Elite Extra Edition in spite of the lack of MLB logos. Why? Because they are much more interesting than the Topps base cards. I will most likely not change my collecting habits based on this Topps contract extension and ignore those ‘purists’ that say the other stuff is garbage.

2. fred 12 July, 2018 at 15:24

So at least another 7 years of airbrushed photos and no team names and logos on Donruss/Panini cards? It is really annoying when I get a bunch of Elite or Panini prospect cards and I have to figure out if New York means Mets or Yankees, Chicago means Cubs or White Sox, or LA means Dodgers or Angels. I’m sorry but this isn’t good news for collectors at all.

3. Jordan L 12 July, 2018 at 16:47

“Our exclusive MLB license gives us the opportunity to continue as the category leader,” said David Leiner.

In other news, water is wet.

4. Justin Barcomb 12 July, 2018 at 17:08

I understand why MLB does it but I’d love to see some of Panini’s cards with Logos. Same goes for the other sports that have exclusivity. I miss Topps Football products.

5. Wes 12 July, 2018 at 17:37

I don’t understand why there has to be an exclusive deal, why can’t there be more than one, competition always improves quality along with inovation.

6. Daryl Powell 13 July, 2018 at 09:52

I like Topps cards but it is better for the business to have more than one supplier of something. I know Donruss and Panini cards are popular, but it would better for collectors if they had team logos on the cards. Collecting is not as fun as it used to be

7. Jerry Harrison 13 July, 2018 at 10:51

Topps – A few suggestions from a casual collector:

1. Cut down on number of products
    2. Combine Bowman,Bowman Chrome, Bowman Prospects into one product – Only picture Double-A players or higher and do not put RC logos on Bowman products

3.MLB – Please give Donruss/Donruss Optic team logos

8. Brent 13 July, 2018 at 11:26

I’m actually pretty happy about this despite the fact that I would love to see DIamond Kings with real logos.

9. Frank Drey 13 July, 2018 at 13:58

Terrible news! Competition is good. I may be a purist, but I will not buy a generic card with no MLB logos. I have collected for 60 years – most of my friends have stopped collecting – there are no nearby card shops. I know I now spend far less on cards simply because despite being a Yankee fan, I don’t need all of the expensive versions of an Aaron Judge. In contrast, a Nick Vincent can pitch in 300 MLB games and never have a card. This would not have happened 10 years ago. I love the Topps Now but I will not spend that type of money to build a set. So there is no way my card collecting will expand in my retirement years.

10. John Bateman 13 July, 2018 at 19:01

Topps has really put out a great segment of sets recently. The Flagship set is its best in years. Heritage gives us the Nostalgia (though I wonder how many more years it can go on). Ginter and GQ are works of art. I do miss Topps Bunt and the simplicity of it. Big League seems like a big wiff