This Benny Montgomery Autograph Card Is “Very Nice”
It turns out Benny Montgomery had a bit of fun with one of his 2021 Bowman Chrome Draft autographs.
In the midst of a discussion on Twitter about his signature and the couple of styles he used in the set, the Rockies prospect revealed that he signed one of his Blue Wave Refractors very differently.
I was wondering when I’d have to clear that up. I’m just waiting for this one to get pulled….😭😳 pic.twitter.com/edO8L2cLYa— Benny Montgomery (@benny_mont) January 28, 2022
It’s definitely legible, but it’s neither “Benny” nor “Montgomery.” Instead he signed it “Borat,” a nod to the character created by Sacha Baron Cohen.
What’s the connection?
Montgomery’s Tik Tok offers a glimpse.
@bennymont @borat takes on baseballs! Very Nice! #borat #borat2 #fyp #foryou #foryoupage #MotivationMonday #baseball #homerun #basebalboys #kazakhstan #usagi ♬ original sound – Benny Montgomery
He likes Borat, even doing the occasional cosplay at baseball practice and bringing some fun to the field.
As for Montgomery’s regular signatures, there are two styles out there. The vast majority of his 2021 Bowman Chrome Draft autographs are shortened. However, a small number are what Montgomery describes as his “fancy” signature. In the conversation, he posted videos of him signing both ways.
Left is what I signed 99% of my cards with, right is what I signed the other 1% with my “fancy” signature. I can assure you those are both mine— Benny Montgomery (@benny_mont) January 28, 2022
Montgomery tried to make good on a few more cards that he felt he messed up on, adding inscriptions.
I wrote that on the bottom any time I severely messed up my signature because I couldn’t feel my hand. Trying to salvage it even a little.— Benny Montgomery (@benny_mont) January 28, 2022
Colorado selected the 19-year-old outfielder with the eighth overall pick in the 2021 draft.