The high-end bar to be set again with 2016 Upper Deck All-Time Greats Master Collection

Share:

2016 Upper Deck All-Time Greats Master Collection

By Stephen Laroche | Beckett Sports Card Monthly Editor

In the seemingly never-ending competition to raise the bar for what is the most expensive and limited trading card release to date, collectors are about to see a new standard established with 2016 Upper Deck All-Time Greats Master Collection.

Limited to just 200 boxes and with a five-figure price point, Upper Deck proclaims that it will be “blurring the boundary between trading cards and artistic collectibles” with this product. Each box will contain over 50 cards and the roster of signers could be one of the most impressive ever assembled. Even the box itself is being touted as a collectible as each one is numbered and has an autographed acrylic box topper in the lid.

What will be found inside 2016 Upper Deck All-Time Greats Master Collection? Find out after the jump.

Jordan

Base Set and Autographs

For starters, 2016 Upper Deck All-Time Greats Master Collection has a 25-card base set where each card is signed by a notable or legendary athlete. As expected, longtime Upper Deck spokesmen Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, LeBron James, and Tiger Woods are featured. They will be joined by the likes of hockey’s Bobby Orr, Mark Messier, and Mario Lemieux, football’s Joe Namath, Jerry Rice, Peyton Manning, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, and John Elway, baseball’s Ken Griffey Jr., Mark McGwire and Nolan Ryan, and basketball icon Larry Bird. Rounding out the checklist are golfers Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklaus along with boxers Oscar De La Hoya and Mike Tyson, NASCAR driver Danica Patrick, tennis star Maria Sharapova, retired UFC star Georges St-Pierre, and skateboarding legend Tony Hawk.

The autographs are split into several tiers (Silver, Gold, Red, Copper, Green, Blue, Purple, Sonic Blue, and Clear) and are limited to just 20 copies each.

There will be dual autographs called Masterful Pairings that are seeded once per box. The regular version these pair up two living athletes which are produced in varying quantities while the one-of-one Masterful Pairings Autograph & Cut Signature takes one of these talents and combines them with a vintage cut of a sporting icon from the early 20th century.

Jordan Diamond

Inserts

As a throwback to old-school trading card sets, 2016 Upper Deck All-Time Greats Master Collection has a Master Collection puzzle made up of 30 cards. Depicting multiple athletes together, there are three tiers to collect with the basic Logo Collection puzzle being numbered to 125 while the Silver version is limited to 50 and just 25 Gold puzzles will be made.

Upper Deck’s long-standing relationship with Michael Jordan has produced many desirable cards over the years, but this time, their Jordan Diamond Legacy cards are an instant classic out of the box. Every set will have one of these cards and they will have three (/30), four (/15), five (/5), or even six (one-of-one) diamonds embedded into them. Every 2016 Upper Deck All-Time Greats Master Collection box also contains a one-of-one Artistic Renderings card, which features autographed original art.

Perhaps the most compelling inserts of all are the Mystery Redemption cards. These cards can be exchanged for some hobby treasures such as game-worn uniforms, championship rings, autographed uncut sheets, game-used equipment from Hall of Famers, and premium signed items from Upper Deck Authenticated or even a motorcycle signed by Michael Jordan.

2016 Upper Deck All-Time Greats Master Collection at a glance:

Packs per box: 1
Cards per pack: 55+
Set size: 25 cards
Release date: March 22, 2016

What to expect in a hobby box:

• hand-crafted wooden box with numbered plaque
  • one autographed acrylic box topper
  • 25-card autographed base set
  • 30-card puzzle
  • one Michael Jordan Diamond Card
  • one Autographed Masterful Paintings card
  • one Dual Autograph or Autograph & Cut Signature card
  • one Mystery Redemption card

Stephen Laroche is the editor of Beckett Hockey, Beckett Basketball, and Beckett Sports Card Monthly magazines. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an e-mail to him at slaroche@beckett.com or follow him on Twitter @Stephen_Laroche.

Share:

Tens of millions of cards available for sale in the
Beckett Marketplace!

Get up-to-date pricing for your favorite sports cards with a
Beckett OPG Subscription

16 comments

1. Chris Harris 13 January, 2016 at 12:05

What’s the point of having ten different parallels each serial-numbered to 20, when you’re only making 200 boxes? Why not just make them all numbered to 200?

And if you have six different ones-of-one of Michael Jordan, are they *really* ones-of-one?

2. Jonathan W. Iwanski 13 January, 2016 at 18:09

I think they told us too much about what they’re giving with each box. Even though I can’t afford it, when I look at what’s inside, I don’t even want it for my PC. That’s the only reason I collect.

3. Richard 13 January, 2016 at 18:43

This is … silly.
    I can assemble a better collection of these people for under $5K, let alone $10K.
    This is obviously a response to Panini’s Eminence release, which was also in my mind silly.

And I find the #’ing of them to 20 with multiple parallels is quite frankly insulting.
    There are so many better ways this could be done.

Start with a “base” auto set that everyone gets.
    You can have a few “limited” parallels of random players added in.
    And then the mystery box. This is very similar to what was done before and was met with hobby approval.

I’m sure some will do quite well, but anyone buying these better want to keep it for themselves as the profit potential is quite low.

4. Steve-Dood 13 January, 2016 at 23:31

how about a contest, Beckett puts up a ‘box’ of this product…….AND we the collectors guess the MSRP?? Kinda like the current Powerball jackpot; just the money edges out the probable box price [ after taxes, of course ]…..cuz otherwise the total jackpot might be higher than the box price………LOL

5. Trey 14 January, 2016 at 00:27

Five figures for a box of cards? Just curious, how many of Beckett’s employees out there that are card collectors (I’m assuming a few of you are) are going to walk into their local card shop or log online and buy one? ……That’s what I thought.

If our hobby was truly like the stock market, I’d buy put options on this product because that’s way too expensive.

6. Larry 14 January, 2016 at 12:12

How can it be all time greats without Muhammad Ali or Magic Johnson, or Joe Montana? But they included Danica Patrick, explain to me how she is even mediocre let alone all time great. This is just plain stupid.

7. David Johnson 14 January, 2016 at 13:30

Something doesn’t add up to me. There are stated to be only 200 boxes (sets) made. Every set will have one Michael Jordan diamond embedded card in it. There are 4 different versions: 3-diamond (/30), 4-diamond (/15), 5-diamond (/5), and 6-diamond (one-of-one). That yields 30+15+5+1= 51 different cards. So that most likely means there will be multiple versions of the card (most likely just a different picture on the front). However even if there are 4 different versions, there would be 4 more cards than sets (51×4 = 204). So either all the cards aren’t going to be inserted in packs or there is something else going on with these.

Also, I noticed that for the main set of 25 cards, each cards will have 9 different versions (Silver, Gold, Red, Copper, Green, Blue, Purple, Sonic Blue, and Clear) limited to 20 copies each. However that only yields enough for 180 sets (9×20=180) and not 200 sets. Unless there is some other regular version, which would make 10 versions and 200 sets. What I am curious to is whether the boxes will be all 1 color/version or will they be mixed. Also, are the versions all really going to be numbered to 20, or will there be some numbered to less than 20.

All that being said, I am asking questions about the set as if I have the $10k+ to spend on a box. I am mostly intrigued as I am sure there will be some people that figure out a way to turn a profit on opening boxes (either by selling singles or by doing box breaks).

8. IamNotARobot 15 January, 2016 at 10:14

No thanks. I could create the personal collection of my dreams with a five figure budget. I’d love to see a box break, though.

9. Frank 26 January, 2016 at 14:28

David,
    My guess on the Jordan Diamond cards is there are 4 different colors of each version except the 1/1. That would mean 201 total cards. Just a guess though

10. Richard 28 January, 2016 at 15:20

For those of you wondering about the “extra” cards, they might be legally required to do a no purchase
    necessary type thing.

11. michael runyon 31 January, 2016 at 18:17

i am not even close to being in the market for this. As much as i miss nascar trading cards, I can not understand why on earth they put danica in this product. This should have been petty, pearson, gordon or johnson. sr if your not caring about being alive or not

12. Keith S 1 February, 2016 at 06:26

As far as their No Purchase Necessary program-I wouldn’t hold my breath. First of all, for some reason, high end releases from companies seem to be exempt from the program. I read an explanation a while ago along the lines of “if consumer can be assured of getting a high value insert in the pack/box companies are not required to offer an NPN”-something like that anyway.

I’ve been an NPN fan over the last 15 years or so. I was really excited when upper deck allowed online entries rather than the old index card and mailing it in method. I’ve entered pretty much EVERY Upper Deck NPN for every product since they went online. Gotten a grand total of 1 (one) card from them. Like 1/200+ entries. I’ve emailed their customer service repeatedly on this issue over the last few years and usually get some patronizing response about odds and not everyone gets an NPN. I don’t know- I seem to have gotten at least something from comparable product releases from their competitors over the same time frame.

Just saying don’t get your hopes up NPN-wise from Upper Deck.